Load DataRepackboxReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Concern over 38-55

Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    I just loaded the 30/30 with cornmeal and a charge of Unique topped off with a wad of toilet paper and fireformed them.
    Do I understand you right, this is how you make 38-55 out of 30-30 - simply load 30-30 cases with this, and fire them in a 38-55 gun? If so, that's awesome. Been on back burner while I develop my 45-70 loads, but someone else mentioned how easy it is to form 38-55 from 30-30 cases and it's been in my mind to look into it.
    -Paul

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by KenH View Post
    This is the only place I found 38-55 brass in stock, and it's the short brass. No biggie there and only $10 shipping
    https://coastalfirearmshop.com/produ...-55-wcf-2-082/

I've fireformed brass from 30-30 with no problems - works just fine.
    Thanks for the link. As Murphy's law would have it, I only yesterday started having some issues with my right eye (I am right handed). Just got back from some laser surgery. Will probably hold off on this until I see how my eye heals up. I may however go ahead and order some of this brass and be optimistic.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by huntinlever View Post
    Do I understand you right, this is how you make 38-55 out of 30-30 - simply load 30-30 cases with this, and fire them in a 38-55 gun? If so, that's awesome. Been on back burner while I develop my 45-70 loads, but someone else mentioned how easy it is to form 38-55 from 30-30 cases and it's been in my mind to look into it.
    FireForming...easy stuff...in that way.. when Primers were Cheap, we did it with Corn Mealand Wax, all the time for Ackley stuff..and of Course 410 from 303....
    I even did some of the 357 Herretts (after shortening). Turned out some of My Best Herrett Brass

Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    FireForming...easy stuff...in that way.. when Primers were Cheap, we did it with Corn Mealand Wax, all the time for Ackley stuff..and of Course 410 from 303....
    I even did some of the 357 Herretts (after shortening). Turned out some of My Best Herrett Brass
    That's great. Thanks. Now I know what I need to do with all the 30-30 brass I've kept.
    -Paul

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    That's great. Thanks. Now I know what I need to do with all the 30-30 brass I've kept.
    Wouldn't wanna sell it, wouldja?
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    Has anyone bought from coastal firearm shop? They dont take real credit cards just pay pal ,zell and some others that I have never heard of.

Boolit Master
    dunno why a person would waste primers and powder and a good amount of time when a sawed off three dollar bolt will do it better easier quicker and certainly cheaper .....but to each his own I guess ...........................

Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    dunno why a person would waste primers and powder and a good amount of time when a sawed off three dollar bolt will do it better easier quicker and certainly cheaper .....but to each his own I guess ...........................
    Tell us how, please. With pictures, please.
    Sounds like something I need to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus
    One pass through the press and a 30-30 becomes a 38-55. The larger diameter is .380 and the smallest diameter is about .250. It’s not critical, it just needs to go in a 30-30 case mouth. Here are two I made:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11E3082F-2AAF-4E8B-99B3-7B4F988A64C0.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	309482

You would use the appropriate sized bolt so you don’t need to cut threads. Check what thread size your Lyman M die uses and you can use the same thing. You could even take the die body to the hardware store to get the bolt. Then turn/grind/file the taper into the bottom portion of the bolt. The actual taper should be about 1”. The straight section near the threads is .380.

Another expander user, Only have to use the larger one on the 30-30 brass, but the 6.8spc brass in the pic needs both to get up to around .380" ID so the sizer die can size them. Pic of 5 30-30's I ran through the expander and 38-55 die tonight. They're actually going to get cut down shorter to meet DNR straightwall regs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 375FUW-ammo-2.jpg   375-3855-3030.JPG  

Thank you gentlemen. More cat skinning methods always helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Annealing them first helps cut down on case losses from splits.

Boolit Master
    I lied !! RCBS die takes a bigger bolt (5/8 x 18tpi)
    LEE seems to have some dinky odd thread almost a 3/8NF but about one thread off
    I used my super simplex die (3/8NF thread) and an adapter but made others to expand 348 brass up to 45/75
    Annealing is a good idea but not too far down else you collapse the shoulder
    Case lube essential

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	expander dies.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	309488

from the left 1) simplex die body in adapter 2) I found a 30/30 ina scrap bin one pass with bolt then RCBS neck expander die
    3) 3/8 NF bolt with not quite long enough taper on it
    4,5,6 set I used for 348 in RCBS die body (number 6 thread is 5/8" x 28tpi is the thread on the small simplex dies)
    7 - .452" finish expander for juniors spencer 45 colt
    8 - . 4585" finish expander
    Last edited by indian joe; 01-20-2023 at 07:35 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by shortlegs View Post
    Has anyone bought from coastal firearm shop? They dont take real credit cards just pay pal ,zell and some others that I have never heard of.
    If they don't take real credit cards chances are high that they are a scammer.

more here

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...l+firearm+shop
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 01-20-2023 at 07:41 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Has anyone bought from coastal firearm shop? They don't take real credit cards just pay pal ,zell and some others that I have never heard of.
    That is a great big flashing screaming red flag. There are many scam sights that have popped up with the component shortage going on. One thing they usually have in common is no credit/bank cards.

Boolit Master

buy the gun ! we will help you across the pot holes in the road to success. How many cases are you looking to get?

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Don't do it. Even if they are a real shop, I doubt they are any good. There is a place down in Texas (I can't remember the name of) that is a real shop, but they advertise and take money for stuff they don't have in stock. They don't tell you it's on backorder until after you pay and they won't refund you. Banks and credit cards won't deal with them because they are tired of bailing out unhappy customers.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Moleman- View Post
    Annealing them first helps cut down on case losses from splits.
    Don't know why but the Vertex case anneal instructions calls for fireforming brass before annealing..
    Anyone know why that would be?

Quote Originally Posted by rjmelehan View Post
    Don't know why but the Vertex case anneal instructions calls for fireforming brass before annealing..
    Anyone know why that would be?
    98% of the time you will crumple the shoulder if you anneal before fire forming. Anneal after, absolutely.

And with the 38-55, I think my fire formed cases came out better than the taper expanded.

Primers and powder aren't an issue for me. I stocked up in 2018-19 when they were cheap. I've probably sold 10,000+ over the last two years to keep buddies shooting.

Most of my fire forming is done with recycled primers anyway. Just picked up a batch of mixed loaded rounds yesterday for less than nothing. Upwards of a hundred rounds of 30-06, 8mm, 308, 223, 38 S&W. Charlie Chan movie disassembly stuff. Primers for fire forming, powder for pyrotechnics, bullets for the lead pot and the brass for either the scrap brass bucket or my reloading or resell the unobtainable brass.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    98% of the time you will crumple the shoulder if you anneal before fire forming. Anneal after, absolutely.

And with the 38-55, I think my fire formed cases came out better than the taper expanded.

Primers and powder aren't an issue for me. I stocked up in 2018-19 when they were cheap. I've probably sold 10,000+ over the last two years to keep buddies shooting.

Most of my fire forming is done with recycled primers anyway. Just picked up a batch of mixed loaded rounds yesterday for less than nothing. Upwards of a hundred rounds of 30-06, 8mm, 308, 223, 38 S&W. Charlie Chan movie disassembly stuff. Primers for fire forming, powder for pyrotechnics, bullets for the lead pot and the brass for either the scrap brass bucket or my reloading or resell the unobtainable brass.
    ================================================== =============
    15 Meter,

Thanks for the heads up...
    I'm sure you saved me from ruining cases.

I just bought (yet to receive) a Vertex annealer which I have been in the market for for a long time.
    It's just that the new price was way more than I could afford, so I waited until a used one came up for sale.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast