Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: Remington Etronx Elec Primers ?

Boolit Buddy

Remington Etronx Elec Primers ?

I was looking around on PowderValley's webpage and saw "Remington Etronx Elec Large Rifle Primers" How are these different from regular Remington primers?

Boolit Grand Master
    They are electronically fired, not percussion primers, IIRC

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Gosh, I'm surprised they are even still available! Those are almost ancient history!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master
    I wonder if it is possible to convert those electronic Remington's to normal percussion rifles? Just for the few that got sucked into buying the latest and greatest but still want the rifle.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master
    I was also wondering about that. Maybe a new trigger and bolt.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    I was also wondering about that. Maybe a new trigger and bolt.
    Yes that is correct.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

Wow, been a few years since i have saw Etronix. Bad idea right from the start and i have no idea what Remington was thinking of with that.

"Im on the hunt of a lifetime in Africa. Darn, there is that MBogo and im dead. Anyone got a battery"?
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Makes you think about all the "smart guns" the gun grabbers/politicians want us to have.
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Bad idea right from the start and i have no idea what Remington was thinking of with that.
    They were trying to innovate...They tried something, but it didn't catch on. Happens all the time.

And it's not completely without merit. The lock time of these systems is insanely fast, so for things like precision rifles it could be of legitimate use.

And TBH, the hunting thing is kind of a strawman. If you don't change your battery and pack a spare before your big African Safari, then it's you who has failed. Battery powered arms see use in actual combat all the time, and it's no issue. Batteries are cheap, change them. It's not hard.

Besides, most shooters and hunters either just blast into the dirt, or shoot a 80lb whitetail at like 30 yards. The stakes with all that are pretty much zero.

Boolit Master
    There was no motion or vibration from firing pin or spring. Some say that's a big deal I think it sounds good but am unsure it makes much difference.

Boolit Grand Master

The claimed locktime was fast. Reality was they primers worked like a glowplug and they were not instantaneous as claimed on the one example that I have shot. My buddy owned it and still owns it as a converted back to standard primers.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 01-19-2023 at 06:31 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ebb View Post
    There was no motion or vibration from firing pin or spring. Some say that's a big deal I think it sounds good but am unsure it makes much difference.
    RPA actions use Belleville Springs to eliminate most of the vibration. When dry firing off bags and looking through the scope the crosshairs do show vibrations with the conventional springs. With the RPA you don't see any movement. The Belleville spring firing system has not been adopted by the benchrest shooters. I have not seen any grouping differences between the two systems on the rifles I have built. My buddy with the Etronx had planned on me building him a match rifle out of it, however, after shooting is as it came he abandoned that idea.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master
    I don't have a problem using electrical primers, Lord knows I shot enough of them in my 5". What I had problems with is the electrically primed small arms, and being the very first to utilize them. That and there is no way the primers would be widely available (ammo either) until the market demanded it.

The market did not demand it.

Sounds like a good idea, probably is a good idea, but I'm not going to jump on the first or even second one I see for sale.

I still have problems trusting small batteries for the only sighting system on a gun.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master

If the Etronx had the same power source as your 5" it would not have had issues. As you know the military has been using electronic firing for a long time since it is a superior system for the way they use it.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

If I remember correctly the only cartridges available in the Etronix ammo or rifles were the 22-250, .220 Swift, and .243.
    If is the operative word here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk