Inline FabricationLoad DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Cartridge 360 Buckhammer

Boolit Master

New Cartridge 360 Buckhammer

Remington has come out with a new cartridge called the 360 buckhammer, based on the 30-30 case, legal for use in the straight wall case only states for deer. .358 diameter bullet, rimmed case, looks like they basically mainstreamed the wildcat 35-30/30 which is great as I thought it was a good caliber. Operating pressure is 50,000 psi, same as a
    375 winchester which was offered in the 94 big bore guns. For comparison the operating pressures of the 30-30, 32 win special are 42,000 psi.

Im guessing that we can chamber this in the post 64 model 94's and just keep the pressures down, idk maybe they can safely handle it. Would be a good option as a reamer and dies for 35-30/30 are not cheap.
    I have two post 64 model 94 actions I just blasted and had melonited, Im thinking Ill do one in this caliber. The melonite gives it a little more strength/harness with at least a .010 55rc layer.
    NRA High Master XTC
    DR# 2125

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I think it sounds awesome, although I don't like the corny sounding name. Looking forward to what Henry comes out with for it, and hopefully Ruglin.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by akajun View Post
    I have two post 64 model 94 actions I just blasted and had melonited, Im thinking Ill do one in this caliber. The melonite gives it a little more strength/harness with at least a .010 55rc layer.
    Hope you did not do the barrels if you want to have one bored out and chambered.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Master
    No these were actions only
    Barrels will be done after chamber, test fire, and short break in period
    NRA High Master XTC
    DR# 2125

Banner Sponsor

I found a cartridge drawing.

factory ammo is a 180 at 2400 or a 200 at 2200.
    Henry has 3 levers and 1 single shot slated for it.

Looks like Remington is specing a 12" twist for it.
    Last edited by lar45; 01-19-2023 at 03:36 PM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	35_remington_cartridge_dimensions_improved.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	309469
    It's a good thought and all. Should help for the people who need them in the certain states.
    I'll stick with this. The 35 Remington

Makes me happy that a major manufacturer decided to introduce a new lever action cartridge that isn't just a bolt action cartridge with a rim..And it looks cast friendly to boot!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Banner Sponsor

And it's .358" lol

I think it's a perfect fit for a single shot. I'm hoping CVA ends up making one.

Sent from my SM-A326U1 using Tapatalk

You can buy a USA made Henry single shot with sights for not much more than the plastic stock imported CVA with no sights. Plus you get Henry's awesome customer service as part of the deal. I love my Henry single shot .45-70!

Boolit Master
    I'm hearing summer or later when rifles and ammo actually hit shelves, but the impatient gun crank could just find a Henry single in .350 Legend and have it rechambered for the rimmed case. I've said so on a couple of other forums, but this lands halfway between the .35-30 and .35-40 Maynards, so I am thinking I'll have the barrel marked .35-35 Remington Maynard if I build a rifle for it. I can just see the paper patched boolits and smell the FFFg ...

Boolit Mold
    How does it compare to the 38-55?

Boolit Master

https://youtu.be/oVHSEfnpxTM

What most miss is the case restriction some states have. 1.8" is MAX. So the 32/40, 38/55, 375, 444 & 45/70 are all TOO LONG!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Is your state still shotgun only?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Is your state still shotgun only?
    My State is Shotgun on State Lands yes. (Private rifles 243 and larger to .501 allowed.
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    https://youtu.be/oVHSEfnpxTM

What most miss is the case restriction some states have. 1.8" is MAX. So the 32/40, 38/55, 375, 444 & 45/70 are all TOO LONG!

CW
    Keep in mind that any particular state may well be a Case restriction (Not loaded COL), and then you may well be able to get away with trimming straight cases back and seating a bullet long. Or, seating short of original cartridge.

Some chamberings will tolerate a shorter cartridge (such as using a 44 Spl in 44 mag, 458Win in 458 Lott, etc...), so someone could possibly tinker around with trimming some of the ~ 2 inch cases (like the 375 Win, 444, 45-70) back to 1.8" and simply developing a easy wildcat that they could still use in their fondest toy. These would be pretty simple wildcats, and I would suspect give fine hunting accuracy. Perhaps still feed fine in a lever gun depending on design, and if you like cutting a second cannelure down the bullet or using a LEE FCD to get the crimp wherever you want.
    Likely some of the common bullets for some of these 3 example cartridges could be crimped ~ 0.2" below the provided crimp groove and near book loading could be used to give a Really easy wildcat.

Probably want to carry a pocket ruler and reg copy in your wallet if doing so...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lar45 View Post
    I found a cartridge drawing.

factory ammo is a 180 at 2400 or a 200 at 2200.
    Henry has 3 levers and 1 single shot slated for it.

Looks like Remington is specing a 12" twist for it.
    Does look fun. But you forgot one important marketing spec. Those numbers are out of a 20-22 inch barrel. They put the rounds specs up against 16" barrel specs at shot show. Kinda miss leading but still a neat new round for a lever.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Master

I had missed the 50.000 psi limit.
    Seemed to be perfect to meet a lot of restrictions and desires until I saw that HIGH pressure limit.
    One can load theirs down to meet the actions limits, but will have to be very careful with ammo choices/usage!
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    It’s basically a straight walled 35 Rem. I’ll stick with my 35 Remington. If I lived in a straight wall state it might trip my trigger if I didn’t have a 450 BM already.

Boolit Mold
    I live in Illinois. 2023 is our first year to deer hunt with rifles. There are various restrictions, one of them is we must use a single shot rifle. Heaven forbid someone would use an AR-15 chambered in .350 legend! Any cartridge must have a minimum of 500 foot pounds muzzle energy, as a factory load. I am interested in the Henry lever in .360 if I can get one. I would just remove the inner magazine tube and use it as a single shot. Put the tube back in and target shoot, varmint hunt or whatever after the deer season.
    My understanding is that a 30-30 cannot be rebored as the chambering reamer will not clean up. I like the fact the .360 uses .35 Remington bullets.
    I still plan to research the 38-55, which can be used in a rebored 30-30.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast