MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad Data
WidenersInline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recoil Pad on M700 Melted

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    I've had similar experiences with SAKO recoil pads, they did not melt but were distorted where they rested on the gun safe. I too have had limbsaver pads melt into a useless mass.
    My 1967 Sako recoil pad is starting to get crumbly, I assumed because it’s in a dryer-equipped safe. Now I’m hoping I can find a genuine brown Sako pad that won’t alter the appearance of the rifle.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    It seems most recoil pads either melt, or get hard as a rock as they age.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    It seems most recoil pads either melt, or get hard as a rock as they age.
    This ^^^.
    The gun outlasts the pad.
    We had an early gel type pad on a .358 Norma Gew98 in the 1980s. The Texas sun ate that thing within two years. The Pachmayr Old English that replaced it hardened up within a decade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I replaced one for a friend last year for a friend on a 700. He said it was in his safe. It looked like it had been sitting in carburetor cleaner. The replacement pad fit perfect. This is the first I hear of another one melting. I have had rifles since the 80's but they have been in safes in control climates and look ok.
    Last edited by 45DUDE; 01-19-2023 at 03:06 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    I've learned to stand rifles upside down with the muzzle on a nice soft pad to keep them from doing that.
    My pad is a old towel folded into about 8 layers, and its on carpet. So far, no crown damage.

It doesn't look like you have much to loose but carving on what's left of your pad to figure out how it's attached.
    Or order a new factory replacement and see how it is attached.
    I did the same thing.
    If you discover the problem before it's too late you'll notice the pad is sticky. That's the rubber starting to break down. I wiped two of mine down with alcohol (If I recall. It was probably ten years ago) and they seem like they're still serviceable.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master

Never had one melt but don’t have any Limbsavers either. Some of my older guns have pads that got hard over years and had to be replaced.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Master

I just contacted them last week. They requested model numbers. Quick easy responses. I have replacements in route.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I had a grind to fit limbsaver installed on my 336 about 15+ years ago at the old gander mountain. It still looks like brand new knock on wood! I’m sure cleaning oils, mosquito and tick spray, WD40, similar would turn it into napalm. I have the original plastic butt pad put away just in case. I do like the extra length of pull from the limb saver. I
    Mine is not the “squishy gel” type which I’m guessing they had issues with. My guess your guys are having issues with the other style pad they made. The “fake hooters” or shoe insert squishy silicone pad. Lol. Mine is like a regular style thick rubber pad with no internal gel.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 01-21-2023 at 11:24 AM.

Boolit Master
    I have several Limbsaver slip on pads and never had one melt. The pad on my shotgun has been on it since around 2007, still looks and feels good.
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    I have never cared for Limbsaver, no particular reason, just didn't.

EVERY REM pad I ever had started out pretty hard and progressed to granite within a couple of years, I love my REMs but their recoil pads suck.

I have used a lot of Pachmayr pads for other folks over the years and they seem to stand the test of time fairly well.

I started using KICK-EEZ pads back around "88"-"89" when I installed one on my REM 700 270. This thread caused me to go check it. It is still as good as when I first installed it. In those days the pads came with a rubber(?) headed pin that one would stick into one of the screw holes when the gun was put into the rack, butt down, so as not to squash the pad. Since I store my guns muzzle down I never used the pins. I have installed dozens and dozens of these pads over the years for customers and never had one complaint.

My only gripe, and it is a very minor one, is that they only make black. If one has brown furniture on the stock I usually like to try to have a brown pad to, more or less, match. However, as some folks say, "black goes with anything".
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Buddy
    this happened to my 700 CDL. went to get it out of the safe, was stuck to the carpet. when hunting leaves and such stick to it, so I got a plastic bag and some electric tape and fixed it. still on the first bag after several years, and nothing sticks.
    Barry

Boolit Master

Limbsaver is the answer.

https://youtu.be/F3OYxRHyFZs

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by roysha View Post
    I have never cared for Limbsaver, no particular reason, just didn't.

EVERY REM pad I ever had started out pretty hard and progressed to granite within a couple of years, I love my REMs but their recoil pads suck.

I have used a lot of Pachmayr pads for other folks over the years and they seem to stand the test of time fairly well.

I started using KICK-EEZ pads back around "88"-"89" when I installed one on my REM 700 270. This thread caused me to go check it. It is still as good as when I first installed it. In those days the pads came with a rubber(?) headed pin that one would stick into one of the screw holes when the gun was put into the rack, butt down, so as not to squash the pad. Since I store my guns muzzle down I never used the pins. I have installed dozens and dozens of these pads over the years for customers and never had one complaint.

My only gripe, and it is a very minor one, is that they only make black. If one has brown furniture on the stock I usually like to try to have a brown pad to, more or less, match. However, as some folks say, "black goes with anything".
    Kick eeze makes them in most colors, including brown. You could even get one multi color. Kick eeze is the only ones I buy anymore. They hold up good, but they crack or chunk like anything eventually.

Boolit Master

I like KickEEZ as well but Limbsavers have been awesome for better then ten years. Mine that failed was from 1990's.

When limbsaver pads came out I liked them quite a bit and put them on everything that already had a recoil pad. Over the years they've all melted and I will not buy another one. First time it happened was on a 1187 stock and I got the song about cleaning chemicals running onto the stock. Then it happend on an synthetic stocked 870 and was told the wrong formula was made to make that batch...Uh huh..... Then the one that I'd bought from Bass Pro and put on a wood stocked rifle that had never had "cleaning chemicals or oil running down the stock" as I usually have it barrel down was gooey. They seem to do it at different rates. Shame as they good pads otherwise but not worth playing the "when will it melt onto whatever it's touching" game.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tja6435 View Post
    I have several Limbsaver slip on pads and never had one melt. The pad on my shotgun has been on it since around 2007, still looks and feels good.
    The one I mounted in the early 2000s got a little sticky but hasn't melted. Older factory recoil pads (Winchester, Marlin, etc) have gotten rock hard.
    I think it's more a case of plastic/rubber compounds that simply weren't very good back then. They were nice and soft when new but longevity was their main shortcoming.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12