Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxWideners
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recoil Pad on M700 Melted

Boolit Grand Master

Recoil Pad on M700 Melted

I have a M700 with a synthetic stock I have not shot in over 10 years.

I went to get the gun to put it up for sale and the recoil pad looks like it melted!

Anyone ever seen that before?

It was so bad I could not see how the thing is attached, but I assume like normal with two screws; or is it glued on and the glue caused the problem?
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I once had a pair of shoes with a thick rubber sole. I think we called them dessert boots. I found them years later in a box and the soles were melting. Maybe your recoil pad was made of the same rubber/plastic.

If it's a Limbsaver or made from that same material, they all do that. I don't know how many I have replaced because they got sticky and glued themselves to the carpet on the bottom of somebody's gun safe.

Boolit Master

In a gun safe with firearms that have had solvents and oils used on them. I suspect that the volatile chemicals have gassed off and interacted over time with the rubber/fake rubber butt plate.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    I have replaced many Limbsaver pads for people because they got sticky and spongy.
    From what I heard.
    Limbsaver was replacing some under warranty.
    But that was way back in about 2010.
    But some they said went bad because people used the wrong chemicals to clean them or oil ran down the stock and soaked into the pad when the rifle was standing in the closet waiting for the next hunting season.

Boolit Grand Master
    Limbsaver is replacing the pad without any questions.

BTW, there was no oil dripping out of the gun

Here is what it looked like:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Melt 2.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	14.7 KB 
ID:	309377

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Melt 3.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	309378
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Now , That is the Worst pad I have seen yet.
    That is far worse than any of the ones that I replaced for people.

I've learned to stand rifles upside down with the muzzle on a nice soft pad to keep them from doing that.
    My pad is a old towel folded into about 8 layers, and its on carpet. So far, no crown damage.

It doesn't look like you have much to loose but carving on what's left of your pad to figure out how it's attached.
    Or order a new factory replacement and see how it is attached.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

The pad on My Winchester 101 (1971) died about 10yrs ago, melted is the best description.
    The pad on My Remington 870TB from 1967 is in perfect shape. Who knows ???
    Last edited by Walks; 01-18-2023 at 04:21 AM.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    I once had a pair of shoes with a thick rubber sole. I think we called them dessert boots. I found them years later in a box and the soles were melting. Maybe your recoil pad was made of the same rubber/plastic.
    Same problem here
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Maybe lee made it! LOL..Just joking.
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

That was an issue with the pads Remington used. That sure exact date range but around 2001 to 2004 or so. They get real gummy and sticky. I have that on some one rifle and 3 11-87's. Sticks to the carpet on the floor of my safe. Some were guys were getting free stocks sent by Remington.... LVSF ... Light Varmint Stainless Fluted had B&C stocks I know of a few that got new stocks sent put. I have 4 LVSF and all are fine. If you get it on a white shirt hard to get out almost like warm tar. I left a pair of old steel toed shoes in my truck for emergencies, the soles did the same thing.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    If it's a Limbsaver or made from that same material, they all do that. I don't know how many I have replaced because they got sticky and glued themselves to the carpet on the bottom of somebody's gun safe.
    I have the same experience. Limbsaver ain't cheap either. They add something to the product so you have to re-order every 5 years. Almost a racket.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Grand Master

I've had similar experiences with SAKO recoil pads, they did not melt but were distorted where they rested on the gun safe. I too have had limbsaver pads melt into a useless mass.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

I've got an preWW2 sporterized Krag on which the pad has done that. Much, much older than what the O.P. is showing. So it's not a new problem.
    Cognitive Dissident

I am changing my Limbsaver pads out for Packmeyer. The Limbsaver grindable pads had a bad run of product, according to them, so I replaced about 30, they did exactly the same thing, melted, now I am replacing the replacements. I love doing the pad grind to fit work 3 times to get back to zero. Not a single problem with the Packmeyers.

All of my guns are stored muzzle down, by the way.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    I've only had one and yes it melted.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Have had a number go bad.

Boolit Grand Master

One possibly is bug spray. That 99% deet stuff will melt recoil pads just like that.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    One possibly is bug spray. That 99% deet stuff will melt recoil pads just like that.
    They do it on their own as via chemical breakdown. The one I have is on a brand new takeoff stock that's on a complete rifle that was parted out for a match rifle build. It was still in the factory plastic sleeve setting on my take off stock shelf.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast