Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Primers..

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    Some of us ordered like 120K Wolf from PV about 2002-03, about $8-9/1000 if I remember. Fortunately, I only went in for couple thousand. THe QC was terrible, never buy Russian anything.
    My last real primer purchase was pre covid, late 2019. For Win, $28/1000 delivered to me. We bought like 100K to thin out the HM&SH. I wish I would have bought more than the 10K small pistol though, who knew.
    The ones I bought haven't had a single issue. The primer cups are a little stiffer. But assuming I'm not working with cases that were previously crimped I don't have any issues. But I had heard that some of the earlier wolf primers had issues with contaminated priming compound that sometimes wouldn't ignite. I believe that's what the consensus was.... Either way, any time I've had an issue with Wolf Primers it was a problem that I created myself by not paying attention to detail.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Quote Originally Posted by jdgabbard View Post
    The ones I bought haven't had a single issue. The primer cups are a little stiffer. But assuming I'm not working with cases that were previously crimped I don't have any issues. But I had heard that some of the earlier wolf primers had issues with contaminated priming compound that sometimes wouldn't ignite. I believe that's what the consensus was.... Either way, any time I've had an issue with Wolf Primers it was a problem that I created myself by not paying attention to detail.
    Yes, poor compound, no compound or no anvil. IF I did not check every primer going into the case, I could expect 10% failures. I dont get 1/2% with US primers. Friends dont let friends buy Russian poop. If I could find Wolf/Tula today cheap, I would buy them & trade them 2-1 for US primers.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BLAHUT View Post
    Making my own LR mag primer sounds very interesting, where do I get info on doing that ??? PM me if you like with that info ??
    https://22lrreloader.com/products/pr...iming-compound

And one of the things people forget is one of the major suppliers of loaded ammo and reloading bullets, brass and primers closed their doors.

How long was that factory shuttered during bankruptcy?

Loaded ammo is filling up the shelves around here and the prices are coming down.

Primers and powder that was non-existent on retailers shelves 18 months ago are filling back up with no limits. Primers are in the $80-100/1000 range. Down from the $12-15/100 and only 100 primers at a time this time last year.

As Remington comes back on line and reloaders get confident in their stashes, I suspect the prices will continue to slide.

Boolit Master

Academy in my neck of the woods have WSP for $7.99/100…no limit
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Boolit Mold
    My local big box is selling CCI SPP for $5.54/100 - limit 2. Sporadic availability, but it gives me a good feeling that the new normal will settle closer to $50 than $90 per brick.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    Yes, poor compound, no compound or no anvil. IF I did not check every primer going into the case, I could expect 10% failures. I dont get 1/2% with US primers. Friends dont let friends buy Russian poop. If I could find Wolf/Tula today cheap, I would buy them & trade them 2-1 for US primers.
    Like I said, I never had a problem with them. I actually have gotten to the point where I prefer them over others such as CCI and Federal. But, as I mentioned before, I think they ironed out some of the issues by the time I bought these. But they're all gone from the market now. So maybe some of those south american brands will start shipping good, and cheap, primers. There is a market for them even after the major brands get their stock back on shelves.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Boolit Master
    Dahak, that gives me a little hope. While I have a variety to chose from (picture is of some of the various brands I have, and that's just a peek for demonstration), I would like to build up a much larger stock. I have a feeling the next decade is going to be particularly chaotic. So if I can fill up the powder closet now I can probably go on shooting for several more decades, which is probably all I'll last anyways. If you guys hear of some crazy estate sale 20-30 years from now where some crazy old guy had horded several hundred thousand primers, you're welcome....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2621.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	309406

Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    I'm jealous... since I have Not changed any of my routines (in fact threw one big ass Party back at first epidemic panic) I have just run dry of Small Pistol primers.. I will be OK tho.. gots Large Rifle and Pistol..certainly Not 5k ea...as I will Never be that Skeert..
    If I get in a Bind, I have close friends that will help out..
    TN,SM...I still have air powered Guns...and the one Pistol shoots really amazing for what it is.. Not a Toy!!

Point is, They are becoming available...at a Premium just now...and I for one believe that this too will pass....tho I sincerely doubt that we will ever get back to 25$!!!!
    If you get needy on those SPP hit me up. I'll trade 1 for 1 for LRP I'm running short on those. I'm near Ann Arbor and have 1 or 2 k to trade.

"That guns do more than protect us from criminals; more importantly, they protect us from the ongoing threat of government."
    Lyn Nofziger

My primer supply is adequate but I am getting nervous because I thought this would be over after the pandemic & rem coming back online. I think the industry has adjusted & dont really care about the reloader unless it is to sell over runs on their components. We shall see if it gets better as we head into recession, but no, you wont see $30 primers again imo.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

So last night I popped into Sportsman's Warehouse, and HOLY SMOKES!! They were stocking bullets, powder, and primers. They only had one pound of Varget for 85 bucks, and the rest of the powder was around $35. Primers $5.50/hundred with 200 limit.

Most of the powders were Winchester that I'm not too familiar with, (but gonna get that way) . Also Accurate, and Vitavori.

I'm thinking that prices aren't gonna go much below this level -- maybe powder around $30/lb -- primers around 4 or 5 cents each.

I don't think gas will ever go much lower either. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Master
    Prices won't drop much. If anything they will go up a bit more unless the overall inflation is not halted.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lead4me View Post
    If you get needy on those SPP hit me up. I'll trade 1 for 1 for LRP I'm running short on those. I'm near Ann Arbor and have 1 or 2 k to trade.
    I will get with you when/if I get to your neighborhood....Thanks!! Appreciate it..

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    The ammo manufacturers are making loaded ammo with them. The industry has always placed us hand loaders on the hind tit! There were some pretty solid rumors at one time that a company in Tx was going to renovate an old US military facility and manufacture primers but, so far, none have hit the market that I am aware of. CCI says they are working around the clock but the demand is just huge, especially with a whole new generation of hand loaders. Every time the political wind changes direction, the demand soars. Prices?? It would take a glut of primers to lower prices and only heaven knows what the future is.
    The latest forecast for expansion industry last november I think said may they hoped to be putting out primers by March. I certainly hope all is well with their venture.
    There website for ammo. I can not find any recent updates for primers. https://www.expansion-ammunition.com/

Posted November 2, 2022 https://forums.sassnet.com/index.php...uction-update/

Some of the guys on another forum signed up for emails from Expansion Industries. This received this on October 10th.:

We are looking forward to starting production over the coming month and shipping on a limited basis.
    You will likely see them being offered retail before the end of the first quarter 2023...
    Thank you,
    Rich Jarvis
    Expansion Ammunition Sales
    Cell 214.608.5651
    www.expansion-ammunition.com

Boolit Bub
    We have it pretty bad down under too. Federal small pistol) are AUD$200/1000, considering it's 1USD to 1.45AUD, it's pretty bad. I am a revolver shooter so there is no other option than using Federal on a tuned gun. However Fiocci are only 145/1500 and S&B about 100/1000. I can also get Russian primers for $120/1000 (these are old stock from 2010, importation has been banned since 2014 due to Ukraine invasion. I ended up hoarding whatever supply of Small rifle primers to run my pistols. We don't have semi-auto 223s here and 223 ammo is cheap enough so the biggest use is for 22 hornet and stock availability was good until all the pistol shooters got desperate enough to buy SRP. I caught on early and get 35k SRP when they were still $80/1000.

If primers are bad, powder is worse! Our home grown ADI plant has upgraded and couldn't optimise the new equipment to make pistol powder yet. And they couldn't keep up with the rifle powder demand around the world so it's not profitable to do anymore R&D on pistol powder. If you shoot cast boolits, you are pretty stuffed too. Some shooters are now trying to make a quick buck and start to sell Trailboss for $1000/1500g, and people would buy it. A few are now resorting to cutting 12ga shells to get powder, they are still cheapish @ 100/250 and each shell contains 22-25 gr of very fast powder. Considering many only stick 2gr of it in a 38 target load, shell cutting is actually worthwhile.... But it's sad

Boolit Bub
    Paid $83 bucks this weekend for cci 500 spp

Boolit Bub
    They had several sizes of cci primers and some federal gmm for $119

Quote Originally Posted by jdgabbard View Post
    Like I said, I never had a problem with them. I actually have gotten to the point where I prefer them over others such as CCI and Federal. But, as I mentioned before, I think they ironed out some of the issues by the time I bought these. But they're all gone from the market now. So maybe some of those south american brands will start shipping good, and cheap, primers. There is a market for them even after the major brands get their stock back on shelves.
    Went through several sleeves of Wolf primers. Never a problem other than they can be a little tight in some pockets.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LAH View Post
    Went through several sleeves of Wolf primers. Never a problem other than they can be a little tight in some pockets.
    You know, I initially thought the same. But then I swapped out my Lee priming arm (the metal one in the ram) one day for one I had from a different press and I no longer had issues. My guess was that the ram prime was slightly out of square with that arm. And the new one has work flawlessly ever since.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hoodat View Post
    So last night I popped into Sportsman's Warehouse, and HOLY SMOKES!! They were stocking bullets, powder, and primers. They only had one pound of Varget for 85 bucks, and the rest of the powder was around $35. Primers $5.50/hundred with 200 limit.

Most of the powders were Winchester that I'm not too familiar with, (but gonna get that way) . Also Accurate, and Vitavori.

I'm thinking that prices aren't gonna go much below this level -- maybe powder around $30/lb -- primers around 4 or 5 cents each.

I don't think gas will ever go much lower either. jd
    Wow. Varget for 85? They are doing some serious price gouging. Cabela's and powdervalleyinc pretty much have the common powders and at decent prices. Just got Varget for 45. Swiss 1.5 for 30. I am pretty rural out on the Oregon coast, so have not found anyone with primers and can't find any online. Guess you got to hit it just right.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast