Reloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Primers..

Primers..

Why are primers so high now? Are those prices here to stay?
    They almost tripled since I got them last

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Here in the UK, we have seen prices for components skyrocket over the last few years.

5 years ago, CCI200 LR primers were £19/1000, they now retail at £99/1000!

Check out component prices at one of our main UK firearms suppliers

https://www.henrykrank.com/reloading...rifle-primers/

ukrifleman.

Boolit Master

I just looked over the Henrykrank website.
    Wow, you Brits are really paying to load.
    And I thought our prices were high.

Quote Originally Posted by ROCKET View Post

The ammo manufacturers are making loaded ammo with them. The industry has always placed us hand loaders on the hind tit! There were some pretty solid rumors at one time that a company in Tx was going to renovate an old US military facility and manufacture primers but, so far, none have hit the market that I am aware of. CCI says they are working around the clock but the demand is just huge, especially with a whole new generation of hand loaders. Every time the political wind changes direction, the demand soars. Prices?? It would take a glut of primers to lower prices and only heaven knows what the future is.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ukrifleman View Post
    Here in the UK, we have seen prices for components skyrocket over the last few years.

5 years ago, CCI200 LR primers were £19/1000, they now retail at £99/1000!

Check out component prices at one of our main UK firearms suppliers

https://www.henrykrank.com/reloading...rifle-primers/

ukrifleman.
    Wow, it actually sounds like primers might be cheaper in the UK than they are here in the states. IF you can find them right now I'm seeing them go for about $150 USD/1000. There were a few going for around $80/1000 for no-name brands, but those dried up as well. I miss the days of $5/1000 Wolf Primers.

To answer the OP's question, we're in the middle of the 3rd or 4th or maybe 5th Freak-Out-Panic-Buying event over the last 15 years or so. The ammo manufacturers cannot keep up with the demand for ammo. Primers on the other hand have always been an overflow product. Read that as, they put left over primers on the market. So loaded ammo is always the priority. Right now there just simply isn't enough ammo to meet the demand. Until there is, no primers - or at least very few primers.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jdgabbard View Post
    Wow, it actually sounds like primers might be cheaper in the UK than they are here in the states. IF you can find them right now I'm seeing them go for about $150 USD/1000. There were a few going for around $80/1000 for no-name brands, but those dried up as well. I miss the days of $5/1000 Wolf Primers.

To answer the OP's question, we're in the middle of the 3rd or 4th or maybe 5th Freak-Out-Panic-Buying event over the last 15 years or so. The ammo manufacturers cannot keep up with the demand for ammo. Primers on the other hand have always been an overflow product. Read that as, they put left over primers on the market. So loaded ammo is always the priority. Right now there just simply isn't enough ammo to meet the demand. Until there is, no primers - or at least very few primers.
    Recent gun show had Primers.. I was only wanting small pistol...so observed CCI for $100.00 a Thousand...I won't contribute to that B.S. so....Waiting!!!
    If I do get "needy"....gonna go to LGS because they have the same...but of course have overhead, and I wish them to be there Next year as well!!!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    Recent gun show had Primers.. I was only wanting small pistol...so observed CCI for $100.00 a Thousand...I won't contribute to that B.S. so....Waiting!!!
    If I do get "needy"....gonna go to LGS because they have the same...but of course have overhead, and I wish them to be there Next year as well!!!!
    Yeah, I won't spend that much on primers either. I'll make my own before I allow the manufacturers to charge that. Besides, I still have about 5k of each size in my powder closet. I'm in no rush to buy more, as I typically shoot twice a month at a few boxes each session. And sometimes I'm lazy and buy FMJ ammo before I go (such as with my AR9). I'm set for a while.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Boolit Master

The government has awarded huge ammo contracts for military and federal law inforcement agencies as I understand it. That itself makes for primer shortages but also there is the "panic" buying going on the last few years. I haven't fired a centerfire rifle or pistol in 2 years now and I probably won't shoot much this year although I do have 2 rifles to sight in. I have gone to air rifles and will continue my "practicing" with both rifle and pistol air guns until sanity returns (if it ever does). Air and pellets are cheap compared to primers, powder and bullets, not to mention brass. I know one individual who bought 75000 small pistol primers before the last presidental election because of fear as to what the demorats might do when they took office and he was anticipating the run on primers. my take anyway, james

Boolit Master
    Yeah, I won't spend that much on primers either. I'll make my own before I allow the manufacturers to charge that. Besides, I still have about 5k of each size in my powder closet. I'm in no rush to buy more, as I typically shoot twice a month at a few boxes each session. And sometimes I'm lazy and buy FMJ ammo before I go (such as with my AR9). I'm set for a while.
    I'm jealous... since I have Not changed any of my routines (in fact threw one big ass Party back at first epidemic panic) I have just run dry of Small Pistol primers.. I will be OK tho.. gots Large Rifle and Pistol..certainly Not 5k ea...as I will Never be that Skeert..
    If I get in a Bind, I have close friends that will help out..
    TN,SM...I still have air powered Guns...and the one Pistol shoots really amazing for what it is.. Not a Toy!!

Point is, They are becoming available...at a Premium just now...and I for one believe that this too will pass....tho I sincerely doubt that we will ever get back to 25$!!!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    I'm jealous... since I have Not changed any of my routines (in fact threw one big ass Party back at first epidemic panic) I have just run dry of Small Pistol primers.. I will be OK tho.. gots Large Rifle and Pistol..certainly Not 5k ea...as I will Never be that Skeert..
    If I get in a Bind, I have close friends that will help out..
    TN,SM...I still have air powered Guns...and the one Pistol shoots really amazing for what it is.. Not a Toy!!

Point is, They are becoming available...at a Premium just now...and I for one believe that this too will pass....tho I sincerely doubt that we will ever get back to 25$!!!!
    Well, keep in mind I bought those a decade ago when Wolf Primers were on sale for like $5 a brick. I think my entire powder valley order probably seemed ridiculous to most people. But I haven't wanted for primers for a long long time.

SOme local shops are selling limited daily quantity of primers at $5-$6 per 100. High but not terrible. I suspect primer prices to stay high until ammo market is saturated. We are seeing 9mm ammo come down, good sign, but until we see all ammo drop in price, primers will be slow to come down. I think the new normal when it does happen will be $50-$60/1000. Ole Joe inflation will guarantee that.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Well, keep in mind I bought those a decade ago when Wolf Primers were on sale for like $5 a brick. I think my entire powder valley order probably seemed ridiculous to most people. But I haven't wanted for primers for a long long time.
    I think that was more than 10y ago, more like late 90s. I bought primers locally in the late 90s for $10. Still using primers from about 10y ago, not anywhere close to that price.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    SOme local shops are selling limited daily quantity of primers at $5-$6 per 100. High but not terrible. I suspect primer prices to stay high until ammo market is saturated. We are seeing 9mm ammo come down, good sign, but until we see all ammo drop in price, primers will be slow to come down. I think the new normal when it does happen will be $50-$60/1000. Ole Joe inflation will guarantee that.
    I received an ad for .223 by PMC for $9.49 per 20 today. Looking forward to the "Big Boys" in manufacturing and Distribution recognizing the market is saturated - and if they want to keep sales up they need to start reducing Powder Costs (Saw another ad for 5744 powder at $68.00 per pound yesterday!!) and Primer Costs in order to keep production at a steady rate. Looking forward to "Primer Over Runs" for Large Rifle and Large Pistol (more difficult since most military/police sales are for 9mm).

Prices will begin to diminish over next 2 years slightly; but will need the current White House Administration (and any replacements for Biden when he is ousted for senility) to be gone before we see significant reductions.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ROCKET View Post

When was the last time you got them? Because the world flipped upside down 3 years ago...
    Its been going on for a long time now

Been making my own non corrosive, lead free and non toxic as powerful as any commercial primer. I think at about 3$/1000....it's a pain to make them but no more than casting or reloading..
    “It is not enough that we do our best; sometimes we must do what is required.”
    ― Winston S. Churchill

Boolit Master
    Yep, I have the components to 'reload' some but haven't done it yet. I may end up that route if I can't find Large Rifle anymore.

The Cabela's around here have a lot of small rifle and small pistol primers. Last time I went I got 1000 CCI SR magnum for $80. SR BR were over $100 ($109 I think). That is just a bit over double what they were before COVID. That's less than the rise in beef prices.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    I think that was more than 10y ago, more like late 90s. I bought primers locally in the late 90s for $10. Still using primers from about 10y ago, not anywhere close to that price.
    Fred, I can assure you it wasn't more than 15 years ago. Definitely not the 90s, but MAYBE really late 2000s, like 2008-2009. But I seem to remember that I ordered them closer to 2012-2013. And I had ordered them directly from Powder Valley. But I also can remember the days of $50-70 cases of Russian ammo. And also the SKSs that got shipped with a free case of Russian ammo.... Man, those were the good 'ole days....

Boolit Master
    Making my own LR mag primer sounds very interesting, where do I get info on doing that ??? PM me if you like with that info ??

Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    I received an ad for .223 by PMC for $9.49 per 20 today. Looking forward to the "Big Boys" in manufacturing and Distribution recognizing the market is saturated - and if they want to keep sales up they need to start reducing Powder Costs (Saw another ad for 5744 powder at $68.00 per pound yesterday!!) and Primer Costs in order to keep production at a steady rate. Looking forward to "Primer Over Runs" for Large Rifle and Large Pistol (more difficult since most military/police sales are for 9mm).

Prices will begin to diminish over next 2 years slightly; but will need the current White House Administration (and any replacements for Biden when he is ousted for senility) to be gone before we see significant reductions.
    Ammo manuf for the most part do not use canister powders reloaders use. They order 55gal drums from the powder manuf, often slightly diff than canister stuff. I think the industry has figures out keeping the supply thin means keeping prices up.

Fred, I can assure you it wasn't more than 15 years ago. Definitely not the 90s, but MAYBE really late 2000s, like 2008-2009. But I seem to remember that I ordered them closer to 2012-2013. And I had ordered them directly from Powder Valley. But I also can remember the days of $50-70 cases of Russian ammo. And also the SKSs that got shipped with a free case of Russian ammo.... Man, those were the good 'ole days....
    Some of us ordered like 120K Wolf from PV about 2002-03, about $8-9/1000 if I remember. Fortunately, I only went in for couple thousand. THe QC was terrible, never buy Russian anything.
    My last real primer purchase was pre covid, late 2019. For Win, $28/1000 delivered to me. We bought like 100K to thin out the HM&SH. I wish I would have bought more than the 10K small pistol though, who knew.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast