Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Primers..

Boolit Master
    And not too long ago steak was $2/lb.

Primers are not going to go back to $50/1000. We will be lucky if the price stays below $100/1000 for std primers.

I’m seeing reloading components but it’s hit or miss. I’m finding the best thing to do is get components when you see them and trade for what you need.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Master

I foresee differently than those who remain skeptical on prices coming down. This week received e-mail add from Southern Defense with Primers ranging from $63 to $89 per 1000.

https://southerndefense.com/servicos...KbJ7Ee2c7yZq1W

Also received similar ads and prices from others via e-mail this week.

I note that the price of .223/5.56 ammunition has stabilized at about $11 to $12 per 20 rounds for PMC and similar. I am seeing e-mail ads for same with sales as low as $5.99 per 20 rounds. Similar drops for .308 ammunition. These would indicate that the Manufacturer prices are dropping as the shelves are filled at many LGS's for popular calibers (9mm, 38 spell, .45, .223, 6.5 Creedmor, .308 and similar). I am not seeing ammo going out the door; and shelves are filled - this would translate to dropping price of components such as primers to keep sales/profits moving for the larger corporations.

As a counter to the above; I am seeing the price of Powder continuing to increase. Old reliables are hard to get, and the newer offerings are being pushed - but the are pushing them at the $50 to $60 per pound rate. I bought 8 lbs of Win 760 Tuesday for $228.00 - May go back and buy the other 8 lb container of W760 this Friday or Saturday if it's still there as that seems to be a good buy and W760 is not showing up at most locations I frequent.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    I foresee differently than those who remain skeptical on prices coming down. This week received e-mail add from Southern Defense with Primers ranging from $63 to $89 per 1000.

https://southerndefense.com/servicos...KbJ7Ee2c7yZq1W

Also received similar ads and prices from others via e-mail this week.

I note that the price of .223/5.56 ammunition has stabilized at about $11 to $12 per 20 rounds for PMC and similar. I am seeing e-mail ads for same with sales as low as $5.99 per 20 rounds. Similar drops for .308 ammunition. These would indicate that the Manufacturer prices are dropping as the shelves are filled at many LGS's for popular calibers (9mm, 38 spell, .45, .223, 6.5 Creedmor, .308 and similar). I am not seeing ammo going out the door; and shelves are filled - this would translate to dropping price of components such as primers to keep sales/profits moving for the larger corporations.

As a counter to the above; I am seeing the price of Powder continuing to increase. Old reliables are hard to get, and the newer offerings are being pushed - but the are pushing them at the $50 to $60 per pound rate. I bought 8 lbs of Win 760 Tuesday for $228.00 - May go back and buy the other 8 lb container of W760 this Friday or Saturday if it's still there as that seems to be a good buy and W760 is not showing up at most locations I frequent.
    Pertaining to powder, I've got a keg of BE that has $189 marked on it. So I don't consider the $228 to be TOO high. Higher than I'd like to pay, but within reason... If 8lb kegs of typical pistol powders get get to the +/- $200 range, I don't think that is a horrible deal. But I'd also like to see some more WC844 powder hit the market. I'm on my last jug of it, and I'm dreading running out. I may switch over to 1200R after it's gone. I tried it and really liked it. Not as much as the WC844... But I liked it.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

The local Bridgeport Equipment & Tool had CCI small rifle primers today for 6.99/100. Ammo shelves were full plus a nice selection of powder. Some ammo was marked "sale." Things appear to be catching up. When things are on the shelf hoarder seem to take a break. Stock increases & prices fall.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jdgabbard View Post
    Pertaining to powder, I've got a keg of BE that has $189 marked on it. So I don't consider the $228 to be TOO high. Higher than I'd like to pay, but within reason... If 8lb kegs of typical pistol powders get get to the +/- $200 range, I don't think that is a horrible deal. But I'd also like to see some more WC844 powder hit the market. I'm on my last jug of it, and I'm dreading running out. I may switch over to 1200R after it's gone. I tried it and really liked it. Not as much as the WC844... But I liked it.
    Powder availability is the key to any reduction in prices.

Availability of flake and ball is improving but not great. On line prices are starting to improve and I would expect them to come down some more.

Availability of most extruded rifle powers (stick) is still very poor. Production facilities for Hodgdon (Austrailia), IMR & Accurate (Canada), Alliant (Sweden) have not made a dent in the pent up demand. This has pushed these powders into the $40 - $50 per pound range. Production of stick powder also seems to struggle with environmental concerns.

And if you like WC 844, good options for similar commercial powders include: SW Tactical Rifle, Ramshot X Terminator, Accurate 2230 and Accurate 2460. These are all ball powders (like WC 844) and are among the most economical rifle powders.
    https://www.natchezss.com/reloading/...sort=price-asc
    Last edited by P Flados; 02-03-2023 at 12:28 AM.

Boolit Master
    No large pistol primers anyplace around me. No large rifle primers either. Plenty of small rifle primers for 149.99 /1000.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Master
    Was in the LGS yesterday, a small selection of powder averaged $60 a pound, only primers were 209's. Don't know who made the 209's but the packaging was really different, a flat tray of 1000, not 100 round flats. Price was $100/K. There is another shop north of me that had reloading supplies before the pandemic but haven't been in there in 6 months or more so don't know if they are getting stock in or not. Gun show next week in town, but may or may not go, high entrance fees and seems like the same overpriced stuff from the last couple of shows.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by P Flados View Post
    Powder availability is the key to any reduction in prices.

Availability of flake and ball is improving but not great. On line prices are starting to improve and I would expect them to come down some more.

Availability of most extruded rifle powers (stick) is still very poor. Production facilities for Hodgdon (Austrailia), IMR & Accurate (Canada), Alliant (Sweden) have not made a dent in the pent up demand. This has pushed these powders into the $40 - $50 per pound range. Production of stick powder also seems to struggle with environmental concerns.

And if you like WC 844, good options for similar commercial powders include: SW Tactical Rifle, Ramshot X Terminator, Accurate 2230 and Accurate 2460. These are all ball powders (like WC 844) and are among the most economical rifle powders.
    https://www.natchezss.com/reloading/...sort=price-asc
    Well, WC844 is roughly equivalent to H335. So I could always switch to that as well. However, I have some loads worked up with 1200R which worked very well. What I liked about WC844 was the price, being a surplus/pulldown powder and whatnot. It was extremely undervalued for what it was.

Whatever I make the change to it would be nice to have some cross-compatibility. I'd ideally like to find something that works well with jacketed ammo in .223/5.56 and 7.62x39. And I think the H335 is just a little too slow for the x39. I haven't looked too deeping into the loading data on hand - mostly because I'm still have a little less than a keg of the WC844 and thus time to make up my mind. But I need to start thinking about it.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Boolit Master
    I just purchased the first CCI 400 primers I've seen on the shelf in a very long time. I never thought I'd pay this much but I wasn't going to pass up the opportunity. $92 per thousand. There were 2000 on the shelf. I left 1000 there for the next guy.

Boolit Master

I don't think we will ever see primer prices return. My guess is we might get lucky and find them in the $60-$70 range on sale eventually.

Boolit Master
    Will prices ever go back to where they were? Nope. I can remember buying 1000 primers for $9.95. Inflation and resultant devaluation of the dollar assures the prices may fluctuate but the trend will always be rising as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post

Primers are not going to go back to $50/1000. We will be lucky if the price stays below $100/1000 for std primers.
    Well many places are already selling for $60, just limiting amounts. So I could see $50 again, but its gonna be alooong while.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    Well many places are already selling for $60, just limiting amounts. So I could see $50 again, but its gonna be alooong while.
    If more suppliers enter the market, as seems they are, the prices will go back down after a sufficient amount of time without political distortions of the market. The floor will be something like the 2019 price plus the cumulative inflation since then, with possibly a bit more if some key components have increased in price faster than inflation.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post

I just bought a hundred pounds from the market for $2/lb. Not burger either. Wife and I laugh as we opened the few packs we didnt vacuum seal. Her T-bone was 2.49 and mine was 2.67. Not sure if it was a market mix up but hey I filled the cart and hit the self checkout. T bones for 1.99 a pound.

But primers have never really been cheap in my area. Gun shops around here rape you. One local is getting 19.99 a 100 for CCI 400s

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Outer Rondacker View Post
    I just bought a hundred pounds from the market for $2/lb. Not burger either. Wife and I laugh as we opened the few packs we didnt vacuum seal. Her T-bone was 2.49 and mine was 2.67. Not sure if it was a market mix up but hey I filled the cart and hit the self checkout. T bones for 1.99 a pound.

But primers have never really been cheap in my area. Gun shops around here rape you. One local is getting 19.99 a 100 for CCI 400s
    He's asking $19.99 per hundred, is he actually getting that price?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    He's asking $19.99 per hundred, is he actually getting that price?
    Your right I should of worded it better. He is asking that much and claims he is selling a lot of them. He was not getting that from me. Same shop wants 42.99 for a box of 50 winchester white box 9mm.

As for if I believe him I will put it this way. His shop is still open and heated. Has to be selling something.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outer Rondacker View Post
    Your right I should of worded it better. He is asking that much and claims he is selling a lot of them. He was not getting that from me. Same shop wants 42.99 for a box of 50 winchester white box 9mm.

As for if I believe him I will put it this way. His shop is still open and heated. Has to be selling something.
    Yeah, but there is a difference between that is what you have available now, when you need it, and what you can wait on. In Tulsa there is a store called Dong's that sells a lot of reloading equipment. Whenever you mention the store name around anyone in the area they chuckle. The guy is way overpriced on just about everything. BUT, you can get it today at Dong's, or wait a day or two to go someone else, or order online.

Just because you sell stuff doesn't mean that is the going price. That is the price one guy is selling them for.

Quote Originally Posted by TXTad View Post
    If more suppliers enter the market, as seems they are, the prices will go back down after a sufficient amount of time without political distortions of the market. The floor will be something like the 2019 price plus the cumulative inflation since then, with possibly a bit more if some key components have increased in price faster than inflation.
    WHich is why I put $50/1000 as the floor, because of inflation. Nothing driven by inflation ever goes down.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Prices will come down when third-party manufactures start making cheaper cost primers. Capitalism abhors a vacuum.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast