Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: Push through boolit sizing with the Lyman 450 lubrisizer.

Boolit Master

Push through boolit sizing with the Lyman 450 lubrisizer.

So, I'm in my reloading room sizing some powder coated boolits that I traded for from another member here on the forum. These boolits are anywhere from .358 to .360 in diameter. They look to be the Lee 125 rn. I'm placing a boolit in the .357 sizer die, pulling the handle, and pushing the boolit down to be sized. Then, lifting the handle to bring the boolit back up and take the boolit out. Repeat and repeat, and repeat. Must be a better way, YES ???? So I got to thinking about the Star push through system. "Lights come on". Would it work if the sizer die was relieved from the bottom up to about .375 in diameter, to allow the boolit to drop out the bottom of the die after being sized in the upper section of the die. The adjusting screw would have to be removed so the boolit could drop free into a cup, or whatever. The top punch would be replaced with a longer push rod, to be able to push the boolit all the way through the sizing section. The bottom of the push rod would either have a flat on the bottom to push flat point boolits, or a inverted cone shape to guide rn or tc boolits straight into the sizer die. Then push another and another and another, one after the other. Whataya think?
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Boolit Master

This post was meant to go on Special Projects. Would one of the moderators please move it. Thank you.
    Last edited by littlejack; 01-17-2023 at 01:39 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Go to NOE Bullet Molds, they have what you want.
    First class tools, well made, nicely finished!

Moved per your request.

Steve
    Cast Boolits moderator

Boolit Master
    Don't get it. Why not just buy a (Lee?) push-thru sizing die, if you're only sizing and not lubing?

If you want to modify the sizer you already have, you probably shouldn't need to replace the top punch with a longer "push rod." The next bullet should be able to push the last one down the road without any jamming, so long as the sizing has already been finished. This is how the $20 dollar push through sizers work, except the bullets come out the top rather than the bottom, and you use the press you already own.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gloob View Post
    Don't get it. Why not just buy a (Lee?) push-thru sizing die, if you're only sizing and not lubing?

If you want to modify the sizer you already have, you probably shouldn't need to replace the top punch with a longer "push rod." The next bullet should be able to push the last one down the road without any jamming, so long as the sizing has already been finished. This is how the $20 dollar push through sizers work, except the bullets come out the top rather than the bottom, and you use the press you already own.
    But...But But
    The Lee is too inexpensive to be any damn good!!!!

Boolit Master

Gloob
    I do have a few Lee sizers. They work just fine. I was just thinking outside the box. I received my new mould from Tom at Accurate Molds today. It's the 35-130A for my 9mm's. I cast up about 300 today before it got to dark and cold. Beautiful mould, and it drops beautiful boolits. I'll play with the sizing tomorrow, and different techniques with the 450 sizer.

Boolit Master

So today in the reloading room, I tried this sizing technique with the Lyman 450 lubesizer. This is not a real earth shattering new way to size your cast boolits, either before or after powder coating, but, it's faster than putting a boolit in the sizer die, pulling the handle, raising the handle and picking the sized boolit out of the die. If you already have a Lee push through sizer die of the right size, you will not need to do this. But, if you do not have the proper size Lee push through, and you do have the proper H&I die, this technique will save you some time. All you have to do is, remove the H&I die you're going to size with, remove the adjusting screw, lock nut and pushout rod. Reincert the sizer die minus the center pin. Your ready to go. You can tape a piece clear plastic hose below the sizer die to guide the boolits into a bucket or ??? As gloob stated, there is no need to replace the top punch with a different pushrod. The next boolits will push the prior ones out.

Boolit Master
    Depends on how oversize and hard the boolit is. When you take the piston out of the 450 sizing die to drop through it may be too dry and stick. I was resizing some oversize boolits a few nights ago to pan lube and had to keep pressure on the 450 to work smooth. It was a pan lube boolit with shallow grooves .436 that I was resizing to .432.
    Last edited by 45DUDE; 01-22-2023 at 10:08 PM.

Boolit Master

I ran a dozen Accurate 35-130A through the .357 and didn't have any issues. Before sizing, the boolits measure .3572 to .358.