Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: I'm Finally getting Around to this project - Win 1906 .22 Pump - Any Ideas?

I'm Finally getting Around to this project - Win 1906 .22 Pump - Any Ideas?

About 5 or 6 years ago, a neighbor came to me & showed me a pitiful Win 1906 pump .22 RF. Supposedly it had been sitting in an old barn for the last 60 or 70 years. He asked if it was worth anything. I said I don't know, but I'd take a chance & give him $50, even though it was froze up. At that time, I removed the take-down screw & separated the rifle in half. I thoroughly soaked & wipe the internal metal on both halves with WD-40. A little coaxing & the the little rifle started shucking, although still a bit stiff. I put in a couple shells & the rifle fed & fired perfectly! The bore looks atrocious, but with the existing sights I figured I could ventilate an armadillo at 15 feet.

I'd like to restore this old rifle into a handy shooter again - not a show piece. I guess to start I need to get a disassembly sheet & get all the internals cleaned, polished & slicked-up. Then try to shoot it for accuracy. If I'm happy with that, I guess then handle the cosmetics (wood & metal finishes). How expensive is it to get one of these barrels sleeved? Any ideas or suggestions? TIA....

Attachment 309347 Attachment 309344 Attachment 309345

Attachment 309342 Attachment 309343 Attachment 309346
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Super Moderator

Here's a link to Homestead parts in Tucson, AZ. They have a schematic available, and lots of parts including good condition barrels. Sorry, I don't have any idea on the cost of getting it sleeved. Someone here probably will though. Congrats on a truly nostalgic rifle, and good luck!

https://homesteadparts.com/shop/winc...6-c-1_133.html

Boolit Master
    Call Bobby Hoyt and see if he sleeves .22 barrels
    I have done several myself.
    But you have to buy the tools to do it.
    I sold those tool several years ago or I would help you out.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I remember that gun or one very close to it. That’s what we shot at WMCA summer camp.

Worth restoring! Mine was a $25 'bits' purchase, missing the tube magazine, split forewood, no extractor and side plate. Rebuilt with a 'Remington tube mag (modified) new forewood, brass escutchons, found a side plate and screw. One thing I like with this model is it's abilty to "slam fire" by holding the trigger, so with a full tube of 15 rounds it will fire these in under 5 secs!
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Grand Master

Good candidate for restoring! Once you get her stripped and cleaned you will probably find that the next steps will all fall into place. I've been looking for one for years but the prices they want are outrageous.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

If it doesn’t have any pitting on it, degreasing then browning it will give it character. Pepper spots and all.
    I’m told that the 1906 is one of the easier rifles to reline. I’ve had two over the years and neither one was capable of slam fire. Maybe the original model 1890 was- I don’t know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's where I go for parts and information on 1890/1906 winchesters. Great guy. https://1890winchesters.com/
    Phil

Boolit Master
    Remember to not drive out the magazine tube ring, put a dowel in it and give it a quarter turn. That little plate covering the action bar, slides out foreward, it has a slight dove tail. And the little screws on top of the breech block like to not come out, I would just soak in diesel or kroil, and blow out good with air compressor.

I use a Rossi copy, love it! John Browning was a genius.

Boolit Master

A friend of mine had two basket cases, but he relined them to 17 Mach 2. I bead blasted them and ran them through the tanks. Turned out very cool.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master

You have the second variation of the 06 which is the same action as the third variation of the 1890 with the exception of the carrier. The carrier for the 06 that you have has a little lever allowing it to handle short, long and long rifle. One of the most difficult parts to get out is the little pin that holds the takedown screw in ( about .050" in diameter.) A re-line in my shop using a hammer forged liner would run about $450 plus return shipping. I have some spare parts for the 1890 and 06, some barrels in about the same shape as yours. I have quite a few model 61 barrels which can be fitted to the 06 if you just want to make a shooter.

A guy I shoot with in NE Kansas does rebarreling and general gunsmithing and relined two 06s for me. As I recall, I paid around $150 each. One of them was given to me by a 98-year-old neighbor who had inherited it from an uncle. The barrel was marked S, L, and LR, but when I tried to shoot in with long rifles, it tied up feeding the first one from the magazine. Turned out the action was from a shorts-only rifle which had the barrel replaced sometime in the distant past. I managed to clamp the action my mill vise and deepen the cartridge lifter with a drill bit enough to take long rifles. That was a learning experience.

Boolit Master
    Sleeving that barrel is not difficult. The hard part will be finding the drill bit to match the liner. I got one 16” long and did several 22 sleeves on board ship. I forget where I got the drill bit but a bell hangers bit of the right diameter will work. 22 Long Rifle is not a high pressure load can epoxy the sleeve in place.

Another chore a bit more difficult is cutting the chamber. Buy a chambering reamer, it is easier and cost effective.

The rest is just take your time and use common sense.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.