MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Load DataSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can this chip in the butt-stock be fixed?

Can this chip in the butt-stock be fixed?

I recently bought a beautiful semi-fitted Ruger #1 butt-stock. I got a deal on it because it has a chip out on the edge of butt plate. I know the simple fix is to cut it off & install a recoil pad. But I do like the Bishop butt plate & a recoil pad is unnecessary for my rifle project.

Has anyone ever done an undetectable repair on something like this? If so, how?

Attachment 309338 Attachment 309340 Attachment 309339

TIA...
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Master

It can be fixed/but will be detectable. I would use an expoxy type filler for furniture that is prestained/colored to fill the area, sand it to match the rifle stock profiles, and go form there.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

There's a good reason why you got a good deal on it.

It'll never be undetectable.
    If it's not done super super well, it'll even be a "HEY! Look at me" sort of spot, and the first thing you notice when you see the gun.

I'd get a recoil butt pad, and have it put on. They're real easy to screw up too until after you've done a few dozen of them.
    The other option I'd consider is to just leave it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I've done repairs like that before. To a degree you will always "see it", but only if you look hard enough. Remove the butt plate, File or cut the chip area so that its perfectly flat about a 1/8th bigger than the chipped area. Find a small similär grain walnut piece that is just a bit larger than the area you prepped, file one side flat to match the prepped area on the stock. Using Gorilla Glue, glue the new piece on the prepped area, clamp as best you can and let it sit 24 hours.
    Remove clamp and file to shape, go from 220 grit to 400 grit until the repaired area is the same form as the rest of the stock. Your hardest part is going to be matching the color of the repaired area to the rest of the stock. It's doable, but if all else fails you can strip the stock and color match everything at one shot. Gorilla Glue will accept stains with no problems.
    Anyway, there's different ways of doing this, but this is the way I've done it.

Boolit Master
    I have repaired Many chips in wood stocks just like that one.
    I have done it several ways.
    One is just fill it with colored epoxy.
    The other is to sand that chip flat.
    Then glue a piece of wood to it with wood glue.
    Than sand it to match the shape of the stock and butt plate.
    My favorite way is to find some wood that is the same type and color.
    You sand a flat spot on the stock.
    Then match the grain direction of the new piece of wood to the grain in the stock.
    You then shape the piece of wood so it matches up to the stock grain when put in place.
    Now remember.
    All you are doing is flattening out the one side that will glue to the stock.
    Then you glue the block in place on the stock.
    When dried , you then sand it to match the stocks shape and stain it to match.
    I wish I was able to post pictures.
    I might still have some stocks that I did this on.
    And you can't hardly see the repair.
    Your chip is very small.
    I have done some that were about 2" long and you really have to look hard to see the repair.

Boolit Buddy
    Another approach would be to camouflage the repair in. As noted by Hondolane above, do the same process but use a wedge of black plastic to match the buttplate. Make it look like a custom buttplate with a toe reinforcement.

it is possible

any good furniture repairer + restorer can repair it so that it is undectectable - i'm not great at woodworking - this is a stock that had a 3" long by 1" wide piece broken off the toe, bought it for $6.00 to use for a one piece at a time project i was putting together -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Easiest way is to apply a blob of stained/colored Accra-Glas Gel, then sand to shape. It will be noticeable, but it will probably bother you more than anyone else. Next is the replacement bit of wood as described by others. This will also require some sanding. If carefully done, selecting a bit of wood that matches the color and grain, it will be detectable but less so. As suggested by Ed, you can cut about 1/2 " off the butt and install a recoil pad. Chipped area will be gone, you'll perhaps enjoy having the pad, and the length of pull can be maintained or adjusted if you wish, depending on the thickness of the pad. Lastly, if you own a disc sander, preferably one mounted on a stand, you can reshape the stock at that location while maintaining the shape and just sand off the chipped area and form the existing buttplate to match. Anyway you go, you'll probably need to refinish the stock anyway.

DG

Is there too much missing to just reshape the stock and butt plate removing enough wood to eliminate the chip ? Just a thought. I am sure an expert can make it almost invisible, emphasis on almost.

Boolit Master
    If you want to just use colored epoxy to fill in that chip.
    And you still want the butt plate to be Removable.
    Just take off the butt plate and coat the back side with Johnson's past wax or just rub it with candle wax , or Vaseline.
    Then put the butt plate back on for a guide.
    Epoxy won't stick to that part.
    But don't apply the release agent unless the butt plate is off the stock.
    If it gets on the chip area , the epoxy won't stick to the wood.
    Last edited by LAGS; 01-16-2023 at 09:38 PM.

Boolit Master
    like Lags said;and others. but, please do not use gorilla glue. use epoxy (not fast dry) or wood glue. i've done quite a few . sometimes, the added piece almost looks like a flaw in the wood grain pattern. to hold the new piece in place; after glueing and seting the 2 together; a small dab of super glue in a couple of spots will hold the 2 parts together until dry.. be carefull and think ahead

I have repaired a few .22rf stocks with similar damage with varying degrees of success by treating the butt plate as described by LAGS in #10. Since this is a semi-inletted stock you will be doing some sanding. Save some of the sanding dust & mix it with clear 2 part epoxy. My experience has been that the more sanding dust you add, the darker the cured patch will be (maybe mixing some test batches will help you get the best match). I then put an ample amount of the mixture in the chipped area. when cured I block-sand to the proper contour. This will not be a perfect match but will not be noticed by anyone but you.

You can always do the recoil pad approach (I like the Old English solid type by pachmyr -pardon my spelling) if you're not satisfied.

I love those Ruger #1 & #3 rifles.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	61E57281-F85A-4FF1-B937-8B4DC08E0343.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	309360I replaced a very odd lower swivel on a sporterized Krag for my bud, it kinda wrapped down both sides of the stock. I used a mini mill to remove the odd mortice and used it to cut my replacement block. Matched it. Then used it to cut a correct krag lower swivel mortise. Turned out good. I’ve used leather dye to stain and match stock repairs.

Boolit Master
    I've made repairs like this before. If you fill in the chip with colored epoxy it will stick out like a sore thumb. The best way to do this is how LAGS explained it above. Sand the chip to make it flat, then glue a piece of wood that is as nearly matching to the stock as possible. Then sand the piece of wood to match the contour of the stock. Try to use wood that's the same color as the stock because the repair piece might not color match if it has to be stained. It is not going to be undetectable, but if done right it will be unnoticeable.

Boolit Master
    The Shawlerbrook approach gets my vote.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Cutting it back and adding a recoil pad is something to be considered, if you don’t want the repair to be detectable.

Boolit Grand Master

Use a dowel cutter to take a piece from under the butt plate for the patch this will be the closest match you can get. Fit it on and leave enough to match the stock contour. Most epoxies,super glues, and even wood glues resist stains and finishes. the joint needs to be snug. Check for the glues at a shop that specializes in wood working like wood crafters. When the toe is done you can fill the hidden hole with epoxy dyed to match.

Boolit Master
    Here’s a video on a chip repair.
    https://youtu.be/IWcygawcLGc

Boolit Master

It is a good practice to save your sandings from walnut and other wood (just keep separate by type) to mix with accraglass or other glues in repairs. It helps with hiding a repair when stained. james

There is a "sticky" on this but unfortunately the photos are no longer there.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...Make-a-new-one!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast