Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 38 Spl “Super Police” 200 gr

38 Spl “Super Police” 200 gr

I understand that both Elmer Keith and Chic Gaylord praised the 38 Spl 200 gr “Super Police” load for it effectiveness. I would think the load would be very effective in SD/HD situations where hard objects weren’t an issue, particularly, out of a snub nose. The argument that it penetrated poorly on hard objects (steel car doors, angled glass, etc) shouldn’t have applicability in a purely SD/HD situation. I understand that the load’s propensity to tumble in snub velocities is its primary attribute in SD/HD situations…this would also limit over penetration and the problems which that entails…another reason why even today it should be considered an effective SD/HD round.

We also know that the British found a 200 gr lead projectile in its original 38/200 MK I round, albeit a 38 S&W, to be very effective. Geneva Convention constraints eventually compelled the British to change bullets to a less effective 170 gr FMJ projectile.

I have duplicated the 38 Spl “Super Police” using Magnus 200 gr RNL bullets with Unique.

I like to hear other opinions about a 200 gr lead projectile in 38 Spl or even 38 S&W for SD/HD purposes where penetration through hard objects is not required.
    Last edited by Hi-Speed; 01-16-2023 at 04:33 PM.
    “Start Low, Work Up Slow”

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The Fouling Shot No. 275 of Jan.-Feb. 2022, p.6-13.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

iirc - the 200 gr. super police was loaded in the .38S&W + not the .38 special -

quote -
    The .38 S&W (.38 Colt New Police)

By Chuck Hawks

Smith and Wesson devised this black powder cartridge in 1877. It was intended for the relatively weak top-break Smith revolvers of the period. Colt also chambered revolvers for the cartridge, which they called the .38 Colt New Police. As I understand it, the only difference was the flat-nose lead bullet loaded in the Colt version of the cartridge. (The S&W version used a 145 grain round-nose lead bullet.) Both claimed a muzzle velocity (MV) of 730 fps and a muzzle energy (ME) of 173 ft. lbs.

There was also a variation of the .38 S&W called the .38 Super Police or .38/200. These used a 200 grain LRN bullet at a MV of 620 fps with 176 ft. lbs. of energy.

Reloaders have found that .357" swaged lead wadcutter bullets (as sold by Speer and Hornady for .38 Special target loads) are a pretty good choice for .38 S&W reloads. These relatively soft bullets will usually expand enough to fit the grooves in .38 S&W barrels when fired. The Speer Reloading Manual No. 13 shows that their 148 grain bevel base wadcutter bullet can be driven to a MV of 701 fps by 2.5 grains of Bullseye powder, and 747 fps by 3.4 grains of Bullseye. These loads used Winchester cases and CCI 500 primers, and were tested in a 4" revolver barrel.
    Last edited by schutzen-jager; 01-16-2023 at 01:19 PM.
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

It was indeed loaded in 38 Special

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A29C1929-6CC5-4A18-8674-C12C98F4043F.jpeg 
Views:	40 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	309330
    Last edited by Hi-Speed; 01-16-2023 at 02:48 PM.

[QUOTE=Outpost75;5518234]The Fouling Shot No. 275 of Jan.-Feb. 2022, p.6-13.[/QUOTE

Erased post, see below
    Last edited by Hi-Speed; 01-16-2023 at 06:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Speed View Post
    Ed, I don’t have this edition…
    More info also in FS No. 277, May-June 2022 p. 9-11
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

CBA store has the back issues available on CD.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Hi-Speed,

Thanks for a thoughtful post. I own many .38/200 and .38 Special arms and cast boolits and reload for them all. I never bought into the theory the "anemic" .38/200 load was "just a effective" as the old .455 Webley 250 grain load." My first handgun in 1961 was a .45 Webley altered for the .45 ACP with half moon clips.

I love my 5-inch S&W .38/200 as well a my Enfields and Webleys in that caliber, but decline to believe; "Less is more." For my .38/200s, I cast 148, 150 and 168 grain cast boolits. That stubby .38/200 case is so short, putting a 200 grain boolit into it seems to me like "sending a boy to do a man's work!" That i why I prefer a .45. LOL.

Adam

[QUOTE=Outpost75;5518285]CBA store has the back issues available on CD.[/QUOTE

Ed, I checked the CBA store and cannot find either 275 or 277 in either hard copy or in CD form…no problem, thanks anyway.
    Last edited by Hi-Speed; 01-16-2023 at 06:32 PM.

never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Grand Master

We used the 200 grn load in my wifes ruger for bowling pins. They did well carrying pins off the table. When testing thee loads a cardboard box would have round holes in the front side and oval holes in the back. They were accurate and effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Helmer View Post
    Hi-Speed,

“That stubby .38/200 case is so short, putting a 200 grain boolit into it seems to me like "sending a boy to do a man's work!"

Adam
    The British were very satisfied with the 200 gr lead bullet in their Enfield revolvers based on their performance in actual combat…

Boolit Man
    I'd never trust bullet stopping performance based on it tumbling to work effectively.

Boolit Master
    I kind of been looking for a 200 gr mold for my .38/200 British S&W K frame revolvers.
    But all I have seen are the .358 dia.molds.
    If I find the right mold in .362
    I can always size it down to .359 for my other .38s and .357s especially the two lever actions that we have.
    My wife likes shooting heavier Boolits out of her Henry .357 lever action.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Speed View Post
    It was indeed loaded in 38 Special

Name:	A29C1929-6CC5-4A18-8674-C12C98F4043F.jpeg 
Views:	40 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	309330
    Egad! Shot myself with that load once......

Richard Davis of Second Chance gave me numerous test patches of his kevlar material [what second Chance ballistic vests were made of] back in the late '70s. He suggested a bundle of magazines 8" thick taped together with test patch on that bundle. I was testing them with every type of weapon and ammunition I could get my hands on for the PD I was the firearms/Officer Safety instructor for. I was shooting the patches at 5'. When I shot one of those "man stoppers" out of a 2" Cheifs Special it bounced off and hit me in the belly. Good thing I had my own Second Chance vest on.....
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Timely post! In cleaning up the garage I ran across some Lee 200gr (198gr as cast) RFN and NOE 198gr SWC boolits I'd begun load testing for .38 Special last year and decided to give it another go. I've also expanded my library of old reloading and CB manuals, and these have several 195/200 gr .38 Special loads. In addition to Unique, I'm going to try 2400 and IMR-4227.

Name:	DSCN3398.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	309363

Boolit Grand Master
    In the same vein, the .44 Russian was a very slow, but heavy, man stopper. Wonder what a good comparison would look like?

Boolit Master
    For .38 spl low velocity loads that are not intended to penetrate, reversed hollow base wad cutters are another option. But they might not be accurate. They are very long with all of the weight in the rear. If they hit without tumbling I would expect rapid expansion. But they might also hit side ways and tumble. For close range home defense that should be a good load if penetration and long range is not needed. Care must be taken to account for the reduced case capacity relative to powder charge. But load to 800 fps or so and it should be a good load.

If the 38 revolver is modern I would opt out for some HP jacketed load that expands and of course there are a lot of such loads. Some as light 95 grains.
    But the big problem now is even finding such ammo and also that does not cost an arm and leg to buy. If you have the 200 grain molds go for it and cast it as soft as possible.

Currently siting at the computer the load in my home-estate pistol is Federal law enforcement 9x19 +P+ 115 grain hollow at an advertised 1300 fps with a 16 shot magazine. I know from what a police supervisor told me is that it is an effective load for killing humans.

Boolit Master
    This where the VIRGEL app is very valuable to tell us about what is good for SD/HD.
    Please download it and use it extensively.

Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    I kind of been looking for a 200 gr mold for my .38/200 British S&W K frame revolvers.
    But all I have seen are the .358 dia.molds.
    If I find the right mold in .362
    I can always size it down to .359 for my other .38s and .357s especially the two lever actions that we have.
    My wife likes shooting heavier Boolits out of her Henry .357 lever action.
    NOE 362-204RN with 2.5 grains of Bullseye in .38 S&W of 3.2 grains in .38 Special. These loads for solid frame, swing-out cylinder revolvers. Reduce 0.2 grain for British top breaks.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast