RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Wideners Load Data

Thread: New .358 124 TC gas check mold

Boolit Buddy

New .358 124 TC gas check mold

Received my first NOE mold in the mail last week. Cast with it the first time this weekend. It is a keeper. Wanted a .358 124 gas check I could use in 9mm, 38, & .357. Bought the 5 cavity. Cast the first batch with Lyman No 2. All 5 cavities dropped .359-.3595. Weighed 20 random boolits. 123.6-124.3 grains. Cleaned it with dawn and a toothbrush, then brought it up to 400 and let it cool 3 times before I cast with it. First run was 10#. Pre heated the mold and cast with alloy between 700-725. This is an easy casting mold. All five fall out as soon as you open the mold. Had zero bullets stick. It drops nice round bullets. Very little seam. Design is versatile. Will be able to taper crimp for the 9 or seat a little deeper and roll crimp for .38 or 357. Going to size some of these cast with No 2 at .358 for a .357 rifle. This batch is 60 with a .356 sizer for working up a load in a shallow throated 9mm. The Lyman No2 came out of the sizer at .3565. The check shank and Hornady check mated perfectly. Machining on the mold is really good. Hopefully the boolits will shoot when I work up to full tilt loads. I found absolutely no faults with the mold.
    Willie
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ECB9FB67-C856-4A68-849F-BC7F1183498E.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	309304
    Last edited by Willie T; 01-15-2023 at 09:44 PM.

Boolit Buddy

Nice looking boolits! Good job.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks redneck. That is my first non Lee mold. Somewhat of an eye opener…

Boolit Master
    Looks like a winner to me!
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Grand Master

In 2015 I had a similar idea , a 124 grain TC boolit with a Gas Check...mould cut so when sized:
    .357" - used for 9mm Luger , 38 Super and 9mm Largo
    .358" - used for 38 special , 38 special +P and 357 Magnum

And I ordered the 4 cavity NOE 358-124-TC GC ... it works like a charm .
    I taper crimp the boolit in the revolver rounds with the 9mm Luger Taper Crimp die ...and that works well also .
    I like the gas check because I drive my softish (bhn 8.5 alloy) over 1000 fps with no leading and the gas check helps the base hold it shape when seated in 9mm Luger brass ...
    gas checks have never bothered me ... I use them when it helps get a job done .

That was my first NOE mould ...but it wasn't my last ...
    NOE Moulds are soooo Sweeet ...they spoil you fast !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    In 2015 I had a similar idea , a 124 grain TC boolit with a Gas Check...mould cut so when sized:
    .357" - used for 9mm Luger , 38 Super and 9mm Largo
    .358" - used for 38 special , 38 special +P and 357 Magnum

And I ordered the 4 cavity NOE 358-124-TC GC ... it works like a charm .
    I taper crimp the boolit in the revolver rounds with the 9mm Luger Taper Crimp die ...and that works well also .
    I like the gas check because I drive my softish (bhn 8.5 alloy) over 1000 fps with no leading and the gas check helps the base hold it shape when seated in 9mm Luger brass ...
    gas checks have never bothered me ... I use them when it helps get a job done .

That was my first NOE mould ...but it wasn't my last ...
    NOE Moulds are soooo Sweeet ...they spoil you fast !
    Gary
    An earlier post of yours drew my attention to this mold. It is a versatile design. I like it. Thinking these gas checked 125’s with full house H-110 in a .357 magnum carbine might be a whole lotta fun.
    Willie