Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Load DataInline FabricationReloading Everything
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: REmington 700

Boolit Buddy

REmington 700

Does anyone have info on 700 Rem mfg in the last year or so? The Sn prefix is RAR with a NY address,.308,26 in heavy barrel, curious as to whether it was mfg before,during or after the change of owner ship. There is no particular faults,except the trigger,set screws totally locked,tried every remedy,soaked in solvents,heated with soldering iron,ect, replaced with Timmney,good to go! The rifle was purchased primarily for cast shooting,is there a lot to be gained by a after market stock,every supplier is really proud of their products and I'm cheap. Thanks lreed

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Before you invest in a after-market stock, try relieving the stock so it is free-floating in your factory stock! And, try to glass bed it also. Cheap to do, the free float you can use a wooden dowel and some sandpaper. Glass bed is little bit more involved. Good luck.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Yeah, they don't want you messing around with their triggers.
    I broke off a set screw on one, and it still didn't loosen.

If the stock fits you, I'd just tune it up a little.
    Read up & watch a few videos on how to bed the action/stock, and maybe free float the barrel.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    This 700 rem stock is one of the new style fiber glass-plastic things, seems fairly rigid. I've used a gob of Accra-glass on wood stocks but never on one of these new type,hadn't even thought of free floating this one,thanks for the tip. I don't really care for scoped rifles,but got caught up in a family style shooting match,when I visit a son in Tx,he belongs to the Orange county range. They have steel hanging at 3,4and 5 hundred yds and that is a thrill!! We shoot buffalo guns at the 500 with vernier sights,but are hot to copy Waco with the .30xcb bullet. I'm getting too old to make the 700 mile trip very many more times so got to make the best effort to get every thing right! Thanks. lreed

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I bought my 700 new in 2018 and the serial prefix is RR. I suppose the new company started using a three digit prefix to differentiate their guns. For a cheap OEM stock mine is pretty rigid and seems to fit well. My rifle has the new style trigger. It works fine for my uses so I just leave it as is.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Nothing wrong with Remington's new synthetic stocks that I've seen.
    They aren't a $500. McMillan or something, and don't have much 'snob appeal', but they work just fine.

The last stock I bedded was for myself, and being in a little bit of a hurry, I used JB weld.
    I had it on hand, and 20-odd years later, it's still on the job and doing fine.

Something else I did on mine- a .30-06, was get a Speed Lock Titanium firing pin kit from Brownell's.
    I did it just to be cool, but it speeds up the firing pin's travel time.

In a not so perfect world- the 'lock time' between when the firing pin is released, and actually strikes the primer,
    is another little bit of time you can move around some before the bullet actually takes off.

And shooting against these fellas with those young 'kid eyes'- us older guys need every little advantage we can get.

Note:
    If you change the firing pin- work under a sheet or in a totally empty room.
    When the shroud is released by that little pin-
    it and the pin will try to launch into lunar orbit if you don't catch it somehow.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 01-15-2023 at 10:50 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.