RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Snyders JerkyWidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Load Data Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bottom pour vs ladle

I ladle pour, when I started casting some 50 years ago I just cast .58 Burton bullets of 400-500grs. wt. from a Lyman 20lb. cast iron pot on a Coleman stove for N-SSA compitition. I got my first electric pot in the 90's, a LEE 10lb. bottom pour and expanded my casting to include .45 bullets for a Springfield .45/70. I never could get good bullets from the LEE pot bottom pouring, too much lead I suppose so I took the linkage off and plugged the hole with a roofing nail and used it as a ladle pot. In the 90's Rapine set up at Nationals selling his molds and had expanded his line to include electric pots he had made somewhere, all were ladle type pots and I bought a 20lb. pot from him which I use to this day for 95% of my casting. Maybe if I had sprung the dollars for a Lyman or RCBS pot in the beginning things would have turned out different, but it seemed the LEE pot didn't pour fast enough to fill out a bullet over 300grs. plus I had to cut out the ''rest'' for the plug of the molds when casting hollow base Burton bullets.

Until about 2000 I cast over 2,000 hollow base .58 bullets a year. Now I rarely cast them although I still have four .58 riflemuskets and a .45 Springfield, most of my casting is 200gr. or less except for .44/.45 handgun. I may benefit from a bottom pour pot now.
    Liberalism is a cult divorced from reality.

Boolit Master

I shoot NRA bullseye pistol. I know of no one that ladle casts for 38 special or .45 acp. We require under 2" accuracy at 50 yards. So accuracy is possible with bottom pour for 200 grain boolits.
    I think the larger bullets may benefit from ladle pour. I think it has to do with getting the lead into the mold before it can cool and pressue casting. The weight of lead in the spouted ladle adds pressure for complete fill out of the bases.

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    I cast long heavy for caliber bullets, 38 calibers at 350 grns, 40 calibers at 420 grns and 45 cal at 500-550 grns. All my moulds have the sprue plates vented.
    I ladle cast not pouring for a sprue but slowly pouring the whole ladle into the hole letting the excess run back into the pot. This helps with fill out and off gassing of the mould. I use a modified lyman ladle that has the spout opened up to .205 dia. When filling the ladle it is pushed to the bottom of the pot and 1 "Swirl" around the bottom of the pot. The ladle stays in the pot when not filling the mould
    Vented sprue plates ?
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I use a Lee bottom pour, but some times it hard to get the alloy flowing as fast as I’d like for 400-500 grain boolits. I wonder if ladle pouring would fill the molds faster.

Boolit Master
    Does anybody else shake their mold while doing bottom pour?
    I could be wrong - it happens at least daily.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by justindad View Post
    I do more of a swirl as soon as I have a good size sprue on the sprue plate. Seems to help get crisp corners with alloys that could use more tin. I also notice it creates a little larger of a dimple, which leads me to believe that it may help in drawing in a little more alloy, which would reinforce the idea that it helps with fillout. It might not do anything, I don't know. But yes, I do it.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by justindad View Post
    I do but only because my tremors cause my hands to shake anyway

Boolit Grand Master

I think you will find a decent correlation between the size of the bullets they are loading, and the method they use. To be fair, either method could be used perfectly with the right setup. As they come downpour's tend to have a smaller hole, which allows a more accurate pour, but also limits the flow rate. Ladles tend to have larger holes which are less accurate, but also allow tremendous flow rates.

Based on my experience, almost all handgun bullets are best done with a bottom pour. Speaking from my own experience, it's easier for me to be consistent when sitting and all I do is lift the handle to pour, especially when we are talking 4-5-6, sometimes 8+ cavities. Then to throw the quantities pistol shooters are using, ladle pouring is more labor intensive at that level. Handgun bullets are generally small, not too many shooting much over 230 grains except for magnum revolver rounds. A bottom pour is perfectly suited to filling small bullets like that.

By comparison a BPCR shooter using a 45-70 or similar is usually not using under a 500 grain bullet. Bottom pours really struggle with such large bullets, the flow rate simply isn't high enough to fill out a bullet like that. Can it be done? Sure. But a faster flow rate is a boon to casting large bullets. You can use lower pot temps, run lower mold temps, and in general make it easier on yourself to produce competitive quality bullets.

I really don't know what would be ideal for a rifle shooter of a smaller bore say 35 caliber and under, and I'm not sure it matters that much for the relatively low volume of shooting. I prefer a bottom pour for 30 caliber bullets myself, but have mostly been using a ladle lately testing different alloys, and you can definitely make bullets just as good quality with a ladle.

I'm assuming you could drill out a bottom pour pot without too much fuss, and I'm sure you can find ladles with small holes too.

Boolit Buddy

For plinkers like the 125 gr. and 158 gr. Lee's I use the RCBS bottom pour. For bigger boolits the majority of my casting is with the ladle and either of two Waage pots. I always seem to get the best uniformity and since I'm a little OCD, the best looking boolits with a ladle. Too old to change now.

Boolit Master
    Vented sprue plates? I have taken a sharp fine file and made one 45 degree pass on each top inboard edge, some two. One easy smooth stroke covering edge to edge, remember cannot put that metal back. That's what I would call it, unless your talking the new Lee swirly fly cut thing.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtek View Post
    Vented sprue plates? I have taken a sharp fine file and made one 45 degree pass on each top inboard edge, some two. One easy smooth stroke covering edge to edge, remember cannot put that metal back. That's what I would call it, unless your talking the new Lee swirly fly cut thing.
    I have had good results with that too, except I used a grind stone. Adds a bevel to the parting line at the top of the block only.

Boolit Grand Master

Than there is the LBT vented spue plate. They look kind of cheesy but they work very well. https://americanhandgunner.com/ammo/...leads-the-way/
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

I started ladle pouring when I got into BPCR. Once I unlocked the secrets of +/- 1/10th of a grain variation in my boolits, I started using locking mold handles and ladle pouring EVERYTHING. It adds very little time, and the results are 100% worth it. I'd rather sacrifice an extra 15min to get the best boolits I can possibly get for all purposes.

Moderator Emeritus

I remember Harvey Donaldson claiming in the 70's that "very few casters know how to use a ladle today". He went on to say that it was important to fill the ladle from the middle of the pot. I have Your's Truely, Harvey Donaldson but he never really goes in depth on what other techniques might improve ones bullets.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Ladle Poured some just yesterday. Ensuring that I have Not forgotten How!!! BTW, Results were Great!!!

I used to bottom pour only when the only thing i had was the little Lee laddle but i tried the rotometals laddles and now its all i use. You find a "system" that works best and you keep perfecting it. It works best for me and i get less rejects.
    “It is not enough that we do our best; sometimes we must do what is required.”
    ― Winston S. Churchill

Boolit Master

I ladle pour everything, Tried a Lee 10# bottom pour back in the '90's, never could get it to stop leaking, pitched it. Since then used RCBS side pour ladle.I have few, if any rejects after everything gets hot.

I use the Rotometals Rowell Ladle #1, and really like it. But then I only cast 2-cavity 45-70 bullets, currently 400 grains. I'll inevitably also get another 425 grain mold from Accurate. Never had much luck with bottom pouring but that's on me, I'm sure.

Edit: My experience duplicates T-Bird's. Couldn't get the Lee to stop leaking and moved to ladle pouring, and haven't gone back.
    Last edited by huntinlever; 01-22-2023 at 10:58 PM.
    -Paul

Boolit Master
    Yeah, that Lee 10lb had a weird 'plug' for the bottom pour. Conversely my 20lb Lee does not drip.

I just like the convenience of the bottom pour. And these days I can still cast when my tremors are acting up. Trying to pour with a ladle when your hand is shaking results in lead all over the bench.

Boolit Master
    I only have 1 heavy mold a Lee 405 gr hollow base. If it had 2 cavities my bottom pour might not work well.
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12