Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
Reloading Everything

Thread: Lyman 311410 mold SKS/M1 carbine ?

Boolit Buddy

Lyman 311410 mold SKS/M1 carbine ?

Anyone uses this mold by Lyman for SKS or M1 carbine CB shooting. I own. both types of rifles. I figured I would get just one mold for both. Thanks.
    NRA Life member since 91
    Retired Guard 20yrs
    Shoot,Shovel,Shut-up

Boolit Grand Master

If you just want plinking loads under 1600 fps that bullet will suffice giving ball ammo accuracy....maybe. I worked that bullet every way from Sunday in several M1 Carbines and never was satisfied with it. Once I went to the 311359 and a couple other GC bullets of 105 - 118 gr I traded off the 411410 and never looked back. Not sure it will function an SKS and still be under that velocity level. PC may help but I don't know. If you want very good to excellent performance get a 311359 for the M1 Carbine and a C312-155 for the SKS and use GCs.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PDshooter View Post
    Anyone uses this mold by Lyman for SKS or M1 carbine CB shooting. I own. both types of rifles. I figured I would get just one mold for both. Thanks.
    PD,
    I have used that plain base boolit for the M1 Carbine and my SKS arms for 30 years with excellent results. I use 2400 in the Carbine and size .309". I use IMR4198 in the SKS and size .311". I hope this helps.
    Adam

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Helmer View Post
    PD,
    I have used that plain base boolit for the M1 Carbine and my SKS arms for 30 years with excellent results. I use 2400 in the Carbine and size .309". I use IMR4198 in the SKS and size .311". I hope this helps.
    Adam
    Thank you.
    NRA Life member since 91
    Retired Guard 20yrs
    Shoot,Shovel,Shut-up

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PDshooter View Post
    Thank you.
    PD,
    Thanks for the kind reply. Additional information may be helpful. I use Alox lube and cast my boolits from old wheel weights. I drop my boolits from the mould into a bucket of water to increase the hardness and have NO leading.

Some folks do not do well with the #311410 for many reasons: Much depends on the load, the quality and care of the reloading process, the condition of the firearm, the ability of the shooter and weather conditions on the range.

My experience with MY #311410 is great. It is "Ball Substitute" for the Carbine and SKS for all my shooting.

Adam

Boolit Master
    I have used this mold for both my 30/30 and in my Contender 32/20 (308 bore). I shot well in both but it started leading in both at about 1380 fps which is not surprising since it a plain base boolit. My lube is Alox and I size to 309 so powder coating may have some advantages for use in a semi auto.

Boolit Master

I use it for my carbines and my 300 BLK. Shoots well in both. Haven't tried it in the .30-30 yet.