Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad DataRepackbox
RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: Bfr 45-70

Boolit Master

Bfr 45-70

Anyone reloading for one of these? Recently purchased one with the 7.5 inch barrel and asking for input from other owners as to what works best.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master
    Well……so there was an old guy who used to be on here. His handle was 44man (a pretty common handle on several boards).

This guy had at least one and maybe a few BFR’s in 45-70. He claimed some remarkable results with IMR 4759 (now discontinued) and boolits at 317 grs and 378 grs. They were probably molds he cut himself. One of the big things he preached was matching rifling twist with boolit weight(length).

IMR 4759 is a super great wonderful powder for cast boolits. It’s speed is in the neighborhood of Alliant 2400. It’s a stick powder. But it’s best attribute is it’s very bulky and fills up large cases well. That makes it ignite consistently.

Ram shot 5477 was an attempt to do what 4759 did. It is very similar but it’s also very expensive.

44man also claimed that 4227 was not good because it’s speed changed with temperature, temperature of the gun. So as he shot matches the gun would heat up and the velocity (and trajectory) would change.

Just bringing up what he used to say. I personally only have one 45-70. It’s a trapdoor. So, not any BFR experience from me on BFR’s. I use 4198 and 300-350 grain boolits at about 1100 fps.

Hope you have fun working up loads and post your progress.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Master

I load for my 7 1/2" BFR 45/70
    For hunting
    RCBS 300 and a 350 Gr cast based on the NOE SC460-350-RF-AE1 design GC bullets 4198 and AA 2200 both work well
    400 gr GC NOE mold 3031 works well
    All 3 of these bullets I am loading at Marlin loads
    Other powders also work well , but I have these and they work

Plinking I have been shooting a lot of the RCBS 300 gr GC bullet and 13 gr of Unique

I am using a range lead that is slightly harder than Lyman #2 alloy
    But I am not sure what the exact percentages are

Also
    I never did shoot any of my loads over a chronograph
    I was more interested in enjoying myself shooting clay targets out to 200 yards
    Or harvesting deer
    The 400 gr GC bullet out of a NOE mold passed end to end through a large bodied buck a few weeks ago
    The shot was a little over 100 yards

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Master
    Thanks John.
    Ever have any issues with hang fires when using reduced loads?
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master
    I've shot 515 gr bullets over 1400 FPS in my 45/70 with the 7.5 inch barrel.
    The gun is/was chambered in 450 Marlin so the strength is there so the 45/70 will haul the load.
    BTW that was actual chronoed by me.
    But remember I have posted Chrono results before and have been stomped on by others so take it as you will.
    Last edited by 44MAG#1; 01-16-2023 at 02:33 PM.

Banner Sponsor

I've got the 10" 45-70 BFR and used to have one of 44man's 317gn molds. The mold was destroyed in our shop fire several years ago. He was very opinionated and not shy about sharing it, but he had a lot of knowledge and experience.
    I have pushed 405s to 1750fps with IMR4227 in my BFR. It gave 1.5" 50yd groups with open sights. Not fun to shoot at that level, but still controllable.
    I tried H4895 but got terrible groups with it. 44man suggested 4759, it works great.
    Because of the weight and size of the gun, Trapdoor level loads are more like shooting a big 22lr.

Boolit Master
    I have a small supply of 300 grain jacketed bullets.
    As far as cast goes, sizing them at .458?

BTW, I recently called Magnum Research as I wanted to ship a revolver back to have the wide spur trigger installed. The guy I talked to told me they sell more 45-70’s than any other chambering.
    East Tennessee

Does anybody know how 44man is. I might be a glutton for punishment but I miss the guy. He was very experienced. As far as powder goes, isn't Shooters World Buffalo Rifle a dead nuts replacement for 5744? If you can find it!
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    Thanks John.
    Ever have any issues with hang fires when using reduced loads?
    No problems
    But I can say IMO these loads are not High Velocity

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Master

For the 45/70 i use a Saeco #017 350 gr FPGC and 31 gr of 5744 about 1,500 fps from a rifle .

Boolit Master
    A friend of mine has one of these guns and asked me to work up a load for it. It’s a handful with this load, but it’s a 1.5” five shot gun at fifty yards. 24g of 2400 with a 405g Rem JSP bullet and a WW mag primer. Hang on and make sure you’re wearing a padded hat.

Boolit Grand Master

Buff Rifle is very equal to the old 5744. So near enough to new 5744.
    But do work up to "max" loads if so inclined.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.