RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
RepackboxLoad DataReloading EverythingLee Precision
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger sbh 7.5" or 10.5"

Ruger sbh 7.5" or 10.5"

Loosely looking around to adding a 44 to my collection. I typically prefer ruger revolvers so I have been looking at a new model super blackhawk in stainless. I've shot a 7.5" version before and liked it. I definitely prefer revolvers with at least a 6" barrel. After seeing the 10.5" I'm a bit intrigued. Those of you who have shot both, what do you prefer? I will never be carrying this in the woods or anything. It will mainly be a range toy to shoot some moderate 44 loads out of and experiment with the cartridge. I can shoot a 6" revolver much better than say a 4" because of the increased sight radius. Is going from a 7.5" to a 10.5" diminishing returns? Does the 10.5" feel yoo heavy and unwieldy after shooting a bit? I'm looking at used examples when I see them pop up, mainly looking for one a bit older. The 7.5" is an early 80s production and the 10.5" is a 2002. I'm sure quality control is similar between those years, mainly just looking to avoid one made in the last few years. What's your guy's thoughts and experiences?

Boolit Master
    I have both & have taken quite a bit of game with both including deer, antelope, elk & bear. From what you describe the 10.5" might just be your cup of tea. It's going to be easy to handle the recoil because it will be a bit muzzle heavy, also with the bit longer sight radius you will most likely shoot it a little better & gain a little velocity. I only shoot cast bullets in mine & either barrel length will give you great accuracy with correct loads. Good luck, which ever way you go.

Dick

I have a Super Blackhawk and a Redhawk both in .44 with 7.5" barrels. I used to have a Super Redhawk with the 9.5" barrel. If you are going to be doing a lot of shooting that long barrel tends to get heavy real fast. Now if you plan on doing long range bench shooting with it go for the long barrel.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master

I recently sold my 6.5 inch Blackhawk and moved to. 4 5/8 inch. It is so much handier to use and shoot. I do believe the longer barrel may be slightly more accurate, but the shorter barrel handle much better. Go with the one that feels the best for you.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Buddy
    I'd be shocked if you didn't really enjoy the 10½". I bought one used last summer just to try out, and it's become a favorite. Super accurate and a fun conversation piece at the range. Mine was built in 1989.

I'm leaning towards the 10.5" just to try something a little different. I also have to see whatever I can get a better deal on. I plan on owning a 7.5" redhawk eventually as well so that area will be covered. Does anyone know when ruger starting putting the warning label on the super blackhawk? From what I've seen I don't believe a pre warning stainless super blackhawk exists. Not a deal breaker just curious.

Boolit Grand Master

In the mid-seventies I turned twenty-one and was able to buy my first pistol, and quickly purchased a 7.5" Ruger SBH. I still have it and it has accounted for a number of game animals and many, many hours of enjoyment experimenting with loading techniques and bullet styles.

The eighties brought a new game called Silhouette and I jumped onto that bandwagon with both feet. Consequently, I bought a 10.5" Ruger SBH to compete with. It too made a great showing and won me a couple of State Championships over the years.

For general use and hunting the 7.5" may be a better choice, although I have hunted with the 10.5" SBH while sitting in a blind. I didn't bother with a holster for it and carried it to my blind in my backpack. For accuracy and use at the range the 10.5" is hard to beat. The longer barrel and extended sight radius allows more precise aiming possible, slightly higher velocity and between the two slightly better accuracy (alhough I have spent more time developing loads for the 10.5").

As far as balance goes, the longer barrel may take some getting used to, but it never felt uncomfortable to me. If I had to choose between the two I would grab the 10.5" SBH.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master

This really comes down to what gives you the warm fuzzies. For me, "gym" is a four-letter word and I don't want to deal with SRH" 10" kind of weight. I've got a couple of 6" to 7.5" options and tend to consider those at the limit of what constitutes a "handgun" (any more, I shoot them DAO and pretend the SA notch doesn't even exist) and they cross into the territory of "specialty tool". Beyond 6" revolvers, I'm thinking carbines make A LOT more sense by any metric of power, precision, handling, and weight trade off most would care to apply. If it's the backrest handgun silhouette game your playing, that's another matter entirely. The SRH is a great tool if your practice doesn't suffer from employing a crew-served revolver.

If it's strictly a matter of sight radius. . . I'm at the point of diving into red dots for my autos and am merely waiting for the ideal mount / sight combos to become available for my 4" GP-100 and 5.5" RH

As to production dates. . .my Mom bought herself a new 6" GP-100 when she retired around 2016. After following my usual "break in" for DA Rugers (heavy application of Break Free to the innards and run the hell out of it) and fire lapping out the common .001" worth of frame crush, it is one of the most totally satisfactory revolvers it's ever been my pleasure to run. I wouldn't necessarily fear the new ones, and hey, Ruger's customer service is known for making it right in those circumstances when it isn't.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Buddy
    What Stubshaft said. Since you’re not planning to pack it around much, take advantage of the improved sight radius. I’ve got a friend who shoots with me now and then. He’s a fan of the compact 9s and 40s. For what they are, they’re great. His problem is that he can’t hit much with them. One day I brought a couple long barreled M500s with me and it was like the light switched on for him. He was making hits on pop cans at 100 yards off hand. Finding a holster for a 10”+ revolver can be a chore. If you got the 7.5” one and put a dot sight on it you should be able to connect just as well as you could with the longer gun but would have a lot of holster and carry case options. I carry a M640-3 in my front pocket but for a range toy, I say the bigger the better.

Boolit Master
    I have a 7.5” 3 screw Super Blackhawk. Also have a couple of 7.5” Blackhawks in 45 Colt.
    They’re all to long for me.

I think the dwell time of the boolit getting out of the barrel offsets any sight radius advantage.

And for me those long barrels, ummmmm……droop.

If you’re a rock solid shooting platform, I can see the attraction of the long barrel. In that case go big and shoot it while you can!
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Master
    The 10.5" Supers are affectionately called "the Hornpipe" due to the longer barrel. But they have a proven track record in IHMSA matches and are quite good. If range uses are your plans,, then if one feels good to you,, I'd lean that direction.

" Does anyone know when ruger starting putting the warning label on the super blackhawk? From what I've seen I don't believe a pre warning stainless super blackhawk exists. Not a deal breaker just curious."

The "warning" label was added in 1977 & 1978 by Ruger to all models. It was before Stainless guns came out.

Quote Originally Posted by contender1 View Post
    The 10.5" Supers are affectionately called "the Hornpipe" due to the longer barrel. But they have a proven track record in IHMSA matches and are quite good. If range uses are your plans,, then if one feels good to you,, I'd lean that direction.

" Does anyone know when ruger starting putting the warning label on the super blackhawk? From what I've seen I don't believe a pre warning stainless super blackhawk exists. Not a deal breaker just curious."

The "warning" label was added in 1977 & 1978 by Ruger to all models. It was before Stainless guns came out.
    Thanks, that's what I figured. I believe stainless came out in the early 80s? The 10.5" I was looking at went for too much money so the search continues!

I have the 10.5" bbl'ed. SBH and love it. I don't find it unwieldy even with the longer spout. Btw, I size my CB's to .431" and get fine accuracy with it.

Boolit Grand Master
    The 7 1/2 inch version is more to my taste. The longer one's don't balance well for me, but if you are solely shooting from a rest, then the longer barreled guns may be a touch more accurate.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    That’s a lot of weight to hold steady when off hand shooting. But certainly can be shot more accurately off a rest. I would base my decision off of that. Offhand or rest?
    East Tennessee

Will be shooting offhand all the time. Does the 10.5" wear you out? Is it quite a bit more muzzle heavy?

Boolit Master

I've had SBH's since 1975, started Handgun Metallic Silhouette. Started with a that 7 1/2" bbl. Switched to a 10 1/2" STS a few years later. The 10 1/2" bbl'ed SBH's have Heavier barrels and longer ejector rods then the 7 1/2" and shorter bbl'ed revolvers. After I quit Silhouette I had the bbl cut back to ejector rod length; 5 1/2". Handled the recoil as well as a 7 1/2" SBH and a whole lot handier for holster carry.
    As for the bbl length of Super Redhawk, I've one of the 1st 10 1/2" bbl'ed, except I sent it back for the 7 1/2" bbl. Guess if I have to shoot it off hand I prefer the shorter bbl.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Grand Master

I'm very much a shorter barrel kind of person. I think 4 5/8" is a great all around length in a blackhawk. That said I have soft spot for the 10 1/2" barrel super blackhawks. I never could warm up to the 7 1/2", not that there is anything wrong with them. The 10 1/2" are not as muzzle heavy as you would think being relatively thin barrels, and they come with fantastic hooked front sights that are easy to see. Recoil with them is somewhat unique. I wouldn't say it is lighter than a shorter barrel at all, but you don't get as much muzzle rise.

10 1/2" is a little long for holsters, but for hunting only it is not that bad. Obviously these are not the guns to buy to practice your quick draw. I really like shooting them. I wish they made them in a standard blackhawk in 41 magnum.

So from what I take it only the 10.5" barrel models have the full length ejector rod? The ejector rod on the 7.5" guns doesn't fully extract a case?

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser48 View Post
    So from what I take it only the 10.5" barrel models have the full length ejector rod? The ejector rod on the 7.5" guns doesn't fully extract a case?
    The ejector rod on my 7.5" SBH ejects the shell just fine.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast