WidenersLoad DataReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Lee Precision

Thread: Post 64 Model 94 needs a new reblue

Moderator Emeritus

Post 64 Model 94 needs a new reblue

I've got a good but used Winchester Model 94 that needs a refinish. I know it takes a special formula for re-blue of a post '64 Winchester 94. I would like a good person to send it to for a fixer-upper....bear in mind it will still be worker and not a safe queen. No dinks except on the stocks .... I would really like to send it or take it to someone in Texas for the fixer upper.....does not have to be a blue but I value your input....so thanks in advance!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Its said that hot blues suitable for stainless steel will blue the recievers OK..........Ive heard lots of stories about the recievers ,but it appears the majority of them (after about 1970) are investment cast ,and then plated with iron ,which is blued .........the iron plate is thin ,and buffing removes it.

Post '64, depending on how post '64, can be varying levels of difficulty. Many early post '64 receivers were made of sintered iron which would not blue and were given a steel plating over the iron so that they would blue at the factory. After passing into the sweaty hands of the original and subsequent owners the plating rusted, and when the receivers are buffed for rebluing the plating comes off and one is left with the iron receiver which at best can be turned a plum color. So the answer back when I was in the business was Brownell's Baking Lacquer, applied with an air brush, and cured with heat in an oven.
    The baking lacquer could be had in matt or semi gloss finish, and I did a number of them in matt. Once this was all explained to the customers they readily accepted them with the new finish. Since that time (the '80s) other paint-type finishes were developed, some ceramic based and very durable. Somewhere down the road the receivers were again made of steel and became able to be satisfactorily reblued again. So, you need to find exactly where in the post '64 eras your serial number falls and you should then be able to figure out how to proceed. I've got a list of serial number ranges that address this problem, but doubt if I can find it. I don't blame you for wanting to spruce the old girl up. '94s are some of the best rifles ever made.

DG

They are investment cast receivers. I like the wear on mine as it’s not bad. But I always thought I’d have it hard chromed when it gets bad. Not the whole thing, Just the receiver. I like that two tone look.

I would have the gun Cerakoted (google) - perfect for a gun that's rode hard & out up wet.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    BWP I seem to recall you around the Lake Fork area. If so give this guy a call. He has done work for me and l have been pleased with his work.
    http://www.phillipsgunsmithing.com/

Boolit Buddy
    Check out Duracoat for a do-it-yourself finish. They have a product called DuraBlue that comes in three bluing mimicking colors in matte or polished finish. I did a Mauser 98 in their regular product in black with a hobby sprayer before this DuraBlue was available. Pictures of it are on a makeover thread in Military Rifles, currently page 12 in the archives. DuraBlue is available in a spray can.

Titanium nitride

Boolit Master
    you might contact du-lite. they are the ones that make the blue salt formulations for the winchesters. they might be able to provide you with gunsmith that they sell the stuff to.
    https://du-lite.com
    for anyone interested here is some info about the blue processes used on post 64 winchesters
    https://du-lite.com/blackening-post-...ter-receivers/

Boolit Master
    du-lite is the one. The receivers were actually made of Graphitic Cast Steel, which is what us engineers used for high strength valves and such in steam power plants when we needed steel strong like a forging in a shape that could not be forged. The graphitic cast steel doesn't blue well at all-- so they had tom come up with a new process. The plus side is that graphitic cast steel has tiny nodules of graphite spread through it which makes it hold up amazingly good against wear. I have two model 94's: one from 1949 and one from 1968. The '49 model is much nicer looking than the '68, but the '68, which I bought used and have personally fired 16,000 rounds through still shows no obvious signs of internal wear.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

I would have the gun Cerakoted (google) - perfect for a gun that's rode hard & out up wet.

This 100%. It will hold up better than blue ever would and is perfect for a working rifle. I think Parkerized gray would look really sharp on a 94. The receiver finish was mostly gone on my own beater 94. My gunsmith polished it up "in the white" and it looks good and hasn't rusted at all.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    I just had two 94 receivers melonited along with internals, came out nice dark black
    There is a flash plating of something on some model 94 receivers you will need to sand off.
    Some 150 grit sandpaper till it’s shiney all over is good, I then bead blasted it
    Came out a nice matte finish
    NRA High Master XTC
    DR# 2125