MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackboxLee Precision
PBcastcoRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: Anyone used Miha's penta HP in a rifle for hunting?

Boolit Buddy

Anyone used Miha's penta HP in a rifle for hunting?

I picked up a MP 358 200 RCBS Clone for my 350L. It came with the 4 types of pins- FN, Shallow HP, Deep HP, and Penta HP. I'm interested in which pins guys like and why. Especially looking for input on how the Penta HP works. I sounds like guys like it in the pistol calibers but I'm wondering if it might be too expansive for rifles.

Thanks!

John

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I use the deep HP. Here is what it does on deer….

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...n-HP-group-buy!

It’s also the boolit I used to shoot the group in my avatar. I run it at 2100 fps in my 35 Rem. It drops deer in their tracks.

Boolit Buddy
    I won't be going that fast. I'm getting 1940fps out of my .350L (18" AR). So far the Deep HP is the one the rifle seems to prefer but there's more testing to do. Those Penta HPs sure look cool, though!

Never hunted or casted with the penta. From what “I’ve read” they open up quickly and shed their pedals. Imo the deep HP with the thicker walls will give you more of a conisistant and controlled expansion than a pinta style at higher (rifle) velocities. My guess is pinta styles were designed for very slow pistol speeds(under 1200 fps). There are plenty of loads of bacon YouTube videos showing the pinta styles blowing the pedals off at 1200 fps. Your still going to be going extremely fast for a 10.5 BH (50/50 COWW and pure lead) HP boolit to expand violently out to a couple hundred yards imo.

Boolit Buddy
    Iv'e used them in my .357 mag shooting a Ruger 77/357 plain based powder coated sized .360 @ 170 gr. 50/50 mix. Shoot a large doe @ 30 yds. this year double lung behind the shoulder complete pass thru both lungs were destroyed along with the top of the heart the wound channel looked like it was 2" diameter or better with a exit hole of 3/4". I didn't find any pedals in the meat but there might have been some in the internals. All and all I was impressed with the performance.

Boolit Buddy

What kind of powder charge?

Beaverhunter,

How much of what powder do you put under those 200 gr booolits.

I am shooting a same length AR with the Lee 200 gr. I have been loading Win 296 and was just exploring other options.

Boolit Bub
    A couple years ago I used penta hp to harvest a nice size doe. One shot through both lungs, range about 50 yards, the deer ran about 35 yards before expiring. Complete pass through, bullet not recovered. I got the 44 caliber bullet, weight around 215 grains, from a member here. 44 Magnum, 2400 powder, velocity around 1400 fps, MGM 18 inch Encore barrel ( accurate with every bullet I’ve tried).

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks, Guys!

Mulespurs,
    27.0gr of AA1680 with a CCI450 or 41. I had issues with 296. Loose primer pockets and belted brass with book data. It could have been the Winchester brass. Going to try a little more and less 1680 to try to find the most accurate load. I love 296 in my .480 and .357 but my Legend doesn't like it.

Thanks again!

John

Vendor Sponsor

The penta's at 1800 to 2400 FPS act like Nosler Ballistic Tips .. they peal off and make their own wound channels
    Personally I like Them .. deer never go far if at all
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    Between Idaho, Utah & Montana I've taken maybe 15 deer & antelope using the Penta HP's but all have been in six guns. Performance has been outstanding & very few have traveled more than 20-30 yds. Some were taken with the 44 special.

Dick

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    The penta's at 1800 to 2400 FPS act like Nosler Ballistic Tips .. they peal off and make their own wound channels
    Personally I like Them .. deer never go far if at all
    Now your getting me excited! I’ll have to try the penta pin in my 35 Rem.