Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Wideners Load Data

Thread: Lee pots question

Boolit Master

Lee pots question

For quite some time i have been doing my casting with a Lee Production Pot 4 and it has generally been adequate for my needs, until now. After my first use of a 6 cavity 45 caliber mold, I decided it was too small and ordered a Lee Pro 4-20.
    This brings up 2 questions.
    #1 I have read that it is best to lap the valves on Lee pots before using them. Is there a "best" or at least good way to lap the valve on my larger pot when it arrives?
    #2 After I put the larger pot in service, I would like to convert the 10 lb'er to ladle use. Is there a recommended way to plug the spout?
    Thanks for any advice. Just trying to be cautious with hot lead.
    God Bless, Whisler

When I had one, I just plugged it in and got to casting.
    I wasn't smart enough to know I did it wrong.

To convert the other pot, pull out the rod, tap and put a screw in the nozzle hole.
    You might also be able to run a self tapping screw in from the inside of it.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 01-14-2023 at 09:42 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    you want to convert the 4 lber to 10??

Boolit Bub
    Following because I just got the Lee Pro 4 20 and haven’t used it yet either.

Boolit Master

use the old pot as a "filler" pot for the new one, that way you never run out.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    use the old pot as a "filler" pot for the new one, that way you never run out.
    I agree.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by whisler View Post
    For quite some time i have been doing my casting with a Lee Production Pot 4 and it has generally been adequate for my needs, until now. After my first use of a 6 cavity 45 caliber mold, I decided it was too small and ordered a Lee Pro 4-20.
    This brings up 2 questions.
    #1 I have read that it is best to lap the valves on Lee pots before using them. Is there a "best" or at least good way to lap the valve on my larger pot when it arrives?
    Way back when I bought a 4-20 brand new, I too had read of the Lee Drip/Deluge. I lapped mine with 800 grit lapping compound from a slide lapping kit that I had on hand. Probably didn't need to be that fine, but it worked, I never got any deluges, although it did still drip a bit. If I was ladle casting from it the drip was slow enough that it would build up and self limit after a while.
    I think there has been a redesign of the 4-20 since I got mine, but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out how to take the valve rod out to lap it to the seat. On mine the valve rod is vertical, not the strange angle on the ten.

#2 After I put the larger pot in service, I would like to convert the 10 lb'er to ladle use. Is there a recommended way to plug the spout?
    Having both a 4-20 and a Production pot four, I would much rather dip a ladle into the 4-20 than the ten pounder. I will go with the other guys and recommend using the ten pounder as a feeder pot.
    Thanks for any advice. Just trying to be cautious with hot lead.
    Hope this helps,

Robert
    Last edited by Mk42gunner; 01-16-2023 at 06:36 PM.

Lee pots question

Just tighten the valve rod as needed. Clean tip with a bent paper clip ever so often (when hot with gloves on).

10+ yrs on two pots with minimal issues

Boolit Master

Thanks for the replies. I will seriously consider using the 10 lb. pot as a filler pot.
    God Bless, Whisler

Boolit Grand Master

No, you don't have to do anything to them. Some people get bad ones, lapping is a possible fix. I own three 4-20 pots, none of them leak. I didn't do anything to them at all. All I do when ladle pouring is turn the rod in so it can't be accidently opened. That's it.

Boolit Master

Thanks. Good info and saves me some trouble.
    God Bless, Whisler

My 4-20 pot leaks every now and then and I have to adjust the valve screw while casting. I think people make a mountain out of a mole hill with the leaking issue, when it does leak you simply put the lead back in the pot. I don’t know, maybe I am missing something because I am not more annoyed by it…

Boolit Master
    Lapping would be as easy as putting a screwdriver bit in your drill and spinning the rod in its hole. Maybe add a little fine compound.

I've had my pot stick in the open position once, and it was flowing real fast. Made a nice lead sculpture. You learn to keep a large metal container on hand, in case of an emergency, in addition to a screwdriver to turn the rod.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Targa View Post
    My 4-20 pot leaks every now and then and I have to adjust the valve screw while casting. I think people make a mountain out of a mole hill with the leaking issue, when it does leak you simply put the lead back in the pot. I don’t know, maybe I am missing something because I am not more annoyed by it…
    Same. Mine might drip..but I just keep a ingot mold under it... I recycle the lead drips when I drop the sprues back in.

Use some valve seating compound before using to make a better fit.

Boolit Grand Master

If I were to buy a Lee pot I would lap it before I used it. Whether it helped or not it won't hurt. I probably would put a large nut on the handle to add a little weight. Keeping another pot or ingot mold close by is never a bad idea for any melting pot.

Boolit Mold
    I have the 4-20 as well, I've only had one drip issue with it. I just ran the rod down 2-3 turns and back up and no more drip. Someone above stated making a mountain out of a mole hill, this is one of those issues. I recently bout a Lee Magnum Melter to add to my setup. Just ladle over lead when the 4-20 gets low so no wasted time waiting for it to come back up to temp from cold ingots.
    For those who fight for it, Freedom holds a meaning the protected will never know.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    If I were to buy a Lee pot I would lap it before I used it. Whether it helped or not it won't hurt. I probably would put a large nut on the handle to add a little weight. Keeping another pot or ingot mold close by is never a bad idea for any melting pot.
    I added a stack of washers under the handle of my 4-20 for this reason, also helps prevent dripping.
    For those who fight for it, Freedom holds a meaning the protected will never know.