Snyders JerkyRepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I finally got a nice bolt action rifle

I finally got a nice bolt action rifle

CZ 600 Alpha, SIG WHISKEY 3 3-9x50mm scope, and Limb Saver True Track bipod.

I know most internet shooters will cringe at these targets, but it's what I shot at 100 yards, using the bipod off a bench, using 150gr J-Word Hornaday, (factory ammo), and the rifle performed perfectly.

It's been a hot minute since I had a bolt action rifle with scope, especially a GOOD scope, and I've never used a bipod before.
    Now why would I post this here? Well, obviously - is there a cast boolit load for .308 Winchester that is good at distance? I am thinking this will be a hunting rifle and fun rifle. Local rifle range only goes to 300 yards, BTW.
    Thoughts?

Boolit Master
    You want to get better, there is that four letter sware word. PRACTICE

Boolit Grand Master

Not too bad with factory ammo, but good reloads should shrink those groups down.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

It would not be uncommon to knock those groups in half with customized reloads and jacketed bullets. -- easily.

It would be common to get that level of accuracy with the right cast bullet and a little work. -- and possibly better. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Put some rounds through it to get the bore broken in and I guarantee those groups will shrink. Not to mention, you will become accustomed to the rifle.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Beautiful.

Not to be critical, but unless you have a box of junk ammo, you got a factory defect/lemon,,,,
    or you're not doing your part--- that thing should get 1 MOA or better right out of the box.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Nice rifle.

If you are not already, try using a rear bag along with the bipod. Will help steady things up a bit.

There are already a few threads on .308 cast loads. Yes, they can be fairly accurate with cast

If the tape is 3/4" wide tape the groups are in the 1.25" range. Not knowing the ambient conditions that seems pretty decent for the first time out with factory rounds. Where I live it is almost always windy. I have shot many groups outisside and inside at 100 and 200 yds. My inside groups were almost always the best groups my rifle or XP-100's ever shot. When I was in Northern Sweden... the snow piled up on fence posts like muffin tops and on the wires. Never seen that here due to the wind always blowing.

For the first and forth posters - I am a reloader, a boolit caster, and I like shooting, I will most likely shoot it quite a bit here soon, heading out to load ammo in a few minutes!
    Not to be critical, but unless you have a box of junk ammo, you got a factory defect/lemon...or you're not doing your part--- that thing should get 1 MOA or better right out of the box
    No, that's pretty critical. However, I did say it has been a long time since I tried any type of really good shooting, and I haven't used a scope in quite a long time. I doubt it's a lemon or factory defect, so yeah, it's me.
    Ammo used.

If the tape is 3/4" wide tape the groups are in the 1.25" range
    First was 1.25, second was 1.2. Targets are MidwayUSA pistol targets, printed on standard printer paper.
    Thank you for your replies. I will endeavor to persevere.

That’s an interesting rifle. Aluminum receiver, lockable magazine, CZ quality.
    I bet you’ll like it a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't sweat the groups.....wasn't all that long ago MOA was the gold standard, right? New rifle, new scope, unknown/untested load, and admittedly out of practice.....and you're at 1.25. Hell, I'd rather have you on my side than on theirs!!

Keep up the good shootin'.... And it IS good shootin'!

Trails.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by armoredman View Post
    For the first and forth posters - I am a reloader, a boolit caster, and I like shooting, I will most likely shoot it quite a bit here soon, heading out to load ammo in a few minutes!

No, that's pretty critical. However, I did say it has been a long time since I tried any type of really good shooting, and I haven't used a scope in quite a long time. I doubt it's a lemon or factory defect, so yeah, it's me.

First was 1.25, second was 1.2. Targets are MidwayUSA pistol targets, printed on standard printer paper.
    Thank you for your replies. I will endeavor to persevere.
    Neither one of those groups is anything to be concerned about. New factory barrels take at a bit of shooting to settle down. The 308 does require some bench technique particularly with a bipod so recoil management or lack of doesn't adversely affect accuracy.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    Shoot a hundred rounds of Jacketed then clean the barrel real good. Then shoot some 314299's sized .310" with 4895 or.... powder of your choice. Might surprise you.

Boolit Grand Master
    An accurate rifle with a good scope is a joy to shoot. You have many hours of fun to look forward to.
    Don Verna

CZ 600 recall notice;
    https://cz600recall.com

That's a nice looking rifle. Loves me some bolt guns, so thought I'd wander over to their web site and saw the recall banner across the home page. Just thought you should know. Check your serial number on the page.
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Master

Very nice rifle.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master

targets look like dead deer @100 yards you might want to try "the load" and are reduced loads to help manage recoil, So you'll shoot more. when you find your load the groups will get smaller,have fun with it
    Congrats nice scope I like the 50mm.
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Quote Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
    CZ 600 recall notice;
    https://cz600recall.com

That's a nice looking rifle. Loves me some bolt guns, so thought I'd wander over to their web site and saw the recall banner across the home page. Just thought you should know. Check your serial number on the page.
    Yes, thank you, this is a brand new rifle post recall. Everything they are selling now are corrected. But thank you.

Is it a 3 lug bolt to barrel lockup? And can the magazine be loaded from the top while in the rifle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really don't know what the correct answer is to that - it looks like two sets of two lugs.

Yes, the detachable mag can be filled while in the rifle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast