Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Wideners

Thread: C sharps 45-90

Boolit Mold

C sharps 45-90

Does anyone have a C Sharps with a green Mountain Barrel ? The reason I am asking is because I am expecting mine hopefully the end of this month and I would like to start casting and sizing for it and find someone that has one to figure where to start sizing. .458 .459 .460 thanks for some input

You better get cases ordered right now. Starline is filling back ordered 45-90's NOW. I was on the list since October and some were waiting since January 2022. They called yesterday to confirm the order. My Shiloh Sharps slugged 0.458.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master

Cast as many as you want but you might hold off on sizing them. Probably better off waiting till your rifle shows up so you can slug the bore. My Shiloh and C Sharps both are at .458, I size to .459.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    .459 will likely be the best
    But sizing will depend on what diameter your mould drops the bullet at
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Mold
    My mould is a Brooks and it drops at.460

Boolit Mold
    I have 150 starline brass got them close to a year ago

Boolit Master

It's a tough time waiting for your rifle...........Been there, about 14 times at last count.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Mold
    My last Green Mtn. barrel seems to have been part of a covid run. Bore/grooves are rough and it slugs at a close .460"
    kw

Boolit Man
    I have a C Sharps with a GM barrel that shoots very well. However I’ve only shot PP in it. The bore is just slightly larger than my Shiloh. I need to use a thinner patch with the same bullet in the Shiloh. You may be able to use your .460” bullet unsized. Probably best to wait until you get your rifle before getting to heavy into bullet making.
    JKR

Boolit Grand Master

I have a C Sharps Hepburn with the 34" tapered octagon green mountain 1-18 twist barrel on it. Its a great shooter.
    I started it out with PP bullets a couple hundred of them when new. These shot great and polished/smoothed the bore up.
    The main bullets for this rifle are now the Steve Brooks PP adjustable set to 525 grains and the Old West 547 grain silhouette GG bullet as cast at .460, both are cast from 20-1 lead. and lubed with Emmerts improved or SPG. The PP are lubed very lightly with JoJobba oil
    While waiting on the rifle prep your brass, anneal the brass this makes a big difference with Starline brass. I uniform the primer pockets, deburr flash holes,trim, chamfer and deburr. I Uniform pockets not so much for depth but to get a true flat bottom on the pocket for the anvil to seat against.

Boolit Master
    Get the brass ASAP

As far as bullet diameter, they might even be best at .460". I had a few C. Sharps rifles ( Badger barrels though ) that preferred fat 0.460" bullets. Generally I start off with a bullet as big as slips nicely into a fired case. Lots of people get hung up on bore and groove diameters, but it's often more important to fit the bullet to the rifles throat than the bore/groove. That depends more on the reamer and who was using it.

Chris.

Boolit Master
    I should add that the molds I used in those CSA rifles was a Brooks Creedmoor that Dan Theodore spec'd out for me based on a chamber cast. They were the best bullets shot out of those guns. 0.460" bands with two reduced bands of 0.453" and 0.450".

Chris.

Boolit Mold
    I have a money bullet Brooks made for me it has 2 reduced bands going to give 30-1 a try

Boolit Mold
    I have 75 pieces of brass annealed so far figured that would give me a start

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    You might want to stiffen that alloy up to 16-1. 20-1 is on the soft side for the 45-90
    Long range rules, the rest drool.