Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Load DataSnyders JerkyWidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee 9mm 4-die set questions

Lee 9mm 4-die set questions

I'm trying to help my grandson-in-law get started in reloading by donating items that I don't use any more. I didn't have a spare 9mm die set and there seems to be very few choices. I think the Lee 4 die set will do the job, but I have 2 questions that the Lee site doesn't answer.

1. Can I assume that the Lee powder though die can be used only with Lee's powder dispensers (any way to adapt to Lyman 55?).

2. Can I assume that the "Factory Crimp Die" is the same as a taper crimp die in the 9mm set? If not, how does it differ?

Thanks for any input.
    Henry

The RCBS has some useful features, like M expander & tapered carbide fl die. 2 nose plugs. $37.46 SALE.

Buy a shell holder. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1011340070?pid=757170 I have this set.
    Manufacturer #: 20515

https://www.midwayusa.com/s?searchTe...+4+die+set+9mm

"Factory Crimp Die" does taper crimp, but also post sizes the loaded rounds. Never needed when using quality loading practices. Bad idea, IMO.

The "Powder through the die" feature prolly isn't used by most of us. Only scenario where I see it is with powder dipper. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by oldhenry View Post
    1. Can I assume that the Lee powder though die can be used only with Lee's powder dispensers (any way to adapt to Lyman 55?).
    I use the Lee Pro auto disk measure with the Lee powder though die. Works great. If it's on a turret press, you'll need the Lee Extension adaptor. I've seen other "custom made" adaptors on Fleabay for using the Lyman 55 or RCBS dispensors with the Lee powder though die.

2. Can I assume that the "Factory Crimp Die" is the same as a taper crimp die in the 9mm set? If not, how does it differ?
    If your grandson-in-law is loading with jacketed bullets, the Lee Factory Crimp Die works just fine. But as 243winxb it does have a carbide post sizer, which most agree causes problems with cast boolits, especially if the cast boolits are over sized, because it can reduce their size and effect case tension on the cast boolit.

Good Luck.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Thanks gentlemen. I think I'll look elsewhere for a conventional taper crimp die. I only use enough taper crimp to remove the bell & he will be using cast boolits.

John B. thanks for the Ebay tip.

Henry

Boolit Master
    Thanks gentlemen. I think I'll look elsewhere for a conventional taper crimp die. I only use enough taper crimp to remove the bell & he will be using cast boolits.

John B. thanks for the Ebay tip.

Henry
    The seating die can be used to taper crimp while seating a bullet. It can also be used to apply a taper crimp separately, after seating, if you use a single stage press. So the 4 die set comes with 2 taper dies in it, but they're both combo dies.

You can also knock the carbide ring out of the FCD to turn it into a taper crimp-only die.

Lee sells taper crimp-only dies, but I think they're typically ala carte.

Boolit Mold
    My Lyman 55 is mounted to the powder through die via an adapter. I use this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/162492436465
    Long term durability report is good (20K + rounds), provided that you swap out the bottom o-rings when things get wobbly. Happens when you swap the adapter between multiple dies for caliber changes too much. Real solution is get more adapters and move the powder measure between them (Redding T-7 and I use multiple turrets).

Boolit Grand Master

If proper methods are used, an FCD is totally unnecessary (and can be detrimental). I started reloading revolver cartridges in 1970 and semi-auto cartridges in 1990 (took a 5 year break 1980 to 1985). In all that time, that many rounds, I have never needed to use an FCD (aka post crimping sizing die). I tried one once on four handloads, the FCD now resides in a landfill somewhere in So. Oregon...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    Agree. I always bought the 4 die pistol sets, anyway, if only to get all my die boxes to match and stack.

I like the Lee die sets just fine, but I've never used the factory crimp die either. I guess I'd try it if I had a finicky pistol or some problem. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Master
    I have reloaded MANY 9mm cartridges using the LEE 4 die set. Never a problem. I have the LEE powder dispense mounted to the press, and more or less hanging over the powder through die. A funnel completes the set up.

I also use the factory crimp die for every caliber I reload. Wouldn't be without it.

I like the LEE products. Some folks don't and will run down the LEE every chance they get.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    I have reloaded MANY 9mm cartridges using the LEE 4 die set. Never a problem. I have the LEE powder dispense mounted to the press, and more or less hanging over the powder through die. A funnel completes the set up.

I also use the factory crimp die for every caliber I reload. Wouldn't be without it.

I like the LEE products. Some folks don't and will run down the LEE every chance they get.
    ^ this
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

hoodat, the powder through expanding die can be used with a Dillon or Hornady progressive presses as well as with a Lee Disk kit. It also bells the case simultaneously. They’re not just for loading through the hole with a dipper

Quote Originally Posted by 243winxb View Post
    https://www.midwayusa.com/s?searchTe...+4+die+set+9mm

"Factory Crimp Die" does taper crimp, but also post sizes the loaded rounds. Never needed when using quality loading practices. Bad idea, IMO.
    Thanks for the tip on the RCBS 3 die set. I've always had good results with RCBS dies. I'm sending that info on to my grandson-in-law: he'll never beat that price.

If you are loading cast bullets with the 9mm set, the powder thru die may not expand the case enough. This may crush the cast bullet when it’s pushed into the case. This will cause leading.
    A work around I have used successfully is to get on the Lee website and look for “parts”. Under pistol dies, look for the 38 S&W set. Order that powder thru expander. It is the same length thru 5he body as the 9mm, but the expanding section is slightly larger. Install this in the 9mm powder thru die and load away.

Solved the problem for me!
    Sam Sackett

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post

My reloading equipment is 95% Lee with zero complaints. But the pistol FCD is garbage design. No one is bashing on Lee to point that out.

You can use it on all your reloads and still have perfect ammo, especially if you are loading nominally sized bullets (jacketed).

The problem is that if you're making perfect ammo with it, the carbide post-sizing ring isn't tight enough to do anything. If you were making ammo for which the post-sizing ring did occasionally do anything to the round, that round might chamber freely in your guns, thanks to the FCD. But it would also lose neck tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sackett View Post
    If you are loading cast bullets with the 9mm set, the powder thru die may not expand the case enough. This may crush the cast bullet when it’s pushed into the case. This will cause leading.
    A work around I have used successfully is to get on the Lee website and look for “parts”. Under pistol dies, look for the 38 S&W set. Order that powder thru expander. It is the same length thru 5he body as the 9mm, but the expanding section is slightly larger. Install this in the 9mm powder thru die and load away.

Solved the problem for me!
    Sam Sackett
    Thanks for the tip. I like inside info.

Quote Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
    hoodat, the powder through expanding die can be used with a Dillon or Hornady progressive presses as well as with a Lee Disk kit. It also bells the case simultaneously. They’re not just for loading through the hole with a dipper
    I gotcha. Figured it was like that. I don't use a turret or progressive, so my charging is done in a separate step. I'm not adverse to putting a scoop of powder through it though. I'm setting up my grandson with a simple outfit to do 38's with, and that may well be the way that we'll go. Just ordered the Lee three die set last night. jd

As far as Lee equipment in general, a person would be crazy to ignore many of the brilliant and usually inexpensive solutions that Lee comes up with to make our life easier.

Might be biased, because I started out with Lee loaders when I was a kid. I'm also an insufferable tight wad. My loading equipment consists of many different manufacture brands, and Lee is pretty will represented. jd