MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan Reloading
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: .360 Buckhammer

So- it’s oval shaped inside?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzLeeBear View Post
    Also, keep in mind that does not appear to be the SAAMI drawing (which would also include a chamber drawing). It may be an early "concept" drawing and just shows the taper continuing to the case mouth.

I looked at the SAMMI site and there doesn't appear to be a drawing for the 360 yet.
    correct, the drawing in my previous post #54 was from the one in Outdoor Life.

Might make a nice black powder target round as well.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    To me it’s just a straight wall 35 Rem. I’ll stick with my 35 Rems. Hopefully this gets manufactures to make a few more .358/.360 options.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    To me it’s just a straight wall 35 Rem. I’ll stick with my 35 Rems. Hopefully this gets manufactures to make a few more .358/.360 options.
    Pretty much it in a nutshell.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    Pretty much it in a nutshell.
    It is a straight wall 35 remington that is legal under specialized hunt circumstance where .35 remington is not.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    It is a straight wall 35 remington that is legal under specialized hunt circumstance where .35 remington is not.
    100% and THATS THE DIFFERENCE!!
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Yep if I was in one of those states I’d be excited about it…but I’m not. I use to hunt iowa and they went from shotgun only to straight wall…and then adding various bottle neck cartridges along the way every year. Don’t know why they even have stipulations any more. It probably would be fun in an AR configuration even though I’m not an AR guy. I have a few but never shoot them. Hopefully manufactures will start getting up there butt and start putting out more jacketed offerings in .358 because of this. It’s always impossible to find a .358 bullet on the shelf somewhere. Maybe at least they’ll be some light at the end of the tunnel for 35 Cal shooters for bulk projectiles because of this.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 01-27-2023 at 05:06 PM.

Heck if brass becomes easy to get it will shade the 35 Remington!

Boolit Grand Master

I'm not sure what to make of this cartridge. It is meaningless to me, but I don't live in a state that this is intended for. I'm sure a lot of people are going to look at this and see a 357 maximum. Unlike some, I never was fond of the max. Except for certain guns and a careful reloader, the max really didn't offer all that much over a 357 magnum, not enough to really wow anyone. I think that's one thing this 360 buckhammer has going for it is that it is considerably larger than the 357 magnum, as well as coming with a good pressure increase. I'm surprised they didn't go even farther like 60,000 psi. Even still, the numbers they claim are quite impressive. A 180gr at 2350 fps, that will really flatten out the trajectory to the practical limits of most lever guns. A 357 mag you are only looking at 1700-1800 fps most of the time for a 180gr. A 357 max gets you closer to 2000 fps, but you would have to really hot load it to get anywhere near what this 360 BH does.

I see two main things going against this cartridge. #1 it is tapered, and while legal in the "straight wall" states, I don't think it would be safe to use with 357 mag or 38 special ammo. It will be interesting to see how that turns out, as it appears a 357 magnum will fit right in the chamber, but it would not have much support at the head at all. #2 Is it is going to be purely a lever action caliber. Maybe some single shots will take it up.

I just don't see it competing well at all with 350 legend. There's no reason the 350 L can't be used in a lot of lever actions such as the Henry long ranger. The 350L is already in some single shots. In a bolt action, the 350L is a no brainer. I'm not sure anyone is making centerfire pump actions anymore, but again, the 350L is the one there. It really comes down to finding out if people want something more universal, or are willing to buy a certain lever action just to gain a couple hundred fps. I really don't know. American deer hunters love both AR's and lever actions, but I just don't see both cartridges existing side by side for long.

Boolit Master

I think you're missing the point in a couple of areas.
    No, NO, absolutely not, you cannot shoot 38 special or 357 magnum in this caliber.! You cannot shoot it in a 350 legend, either, so why would you think you could do it in here?
    It's limited and it's pressure for the guns it's designed to be fired in. So 94 Winchester's 336 Marlins Henry big boys these all operate under 50,000 psi. It's designed around a set a parameter set up for straight wall states. Everybody seems to look at it as the same thing that's offered another calibers… Absolutely yes, correct! But it's a big but those calibers and cartridges do not meet the requirements for straight wall states.
    We really only have two calibers have been released and designed for straight wall states. Now 100% yes there is a number of them existing very good calibers that also fill the requirements of the straight wall states. But there's a whole bunch that come close, but do not qualify in some of the street wall states. That being but not limited to; 375 Winchester 444 marlin 45/70 government, 38/55 Winchester. Their casings are too long for some of these states. (Some states ONLY allow Factory chambering as well) Yes, ballistics are, very similar to existing calibers. People in "straight wall" states, do not have the option of them. That's it, that's the whole deal.

I dont understand why some feel new is bad? Deleting or discontinuing ol favorites IS BAD to me. But new is new, its improvements refinements & maybe new favorites.

The Maxi was or offered substantially more power over the 357 Mag!!! Factory numbers had it nearly 500 fps faster same bullet!!! The Maxi is BEHIND the 9x45 (Some call a Legend) The Legend is behind this new 360 cartritage.

Personally the "legend" left me lacking. This nonsence of a 9mm then changing the case to tapered. ( I understand stayed reasons) but the bullet nearly (AND SHOULD HAVE) blown up in there faces! .357 is CLEARLY listed as MINIMUM diameter. They slipped past by hairs on SAMMI + - .002 tolerance to gain acceptance. BS!!! Any one can measure a bullet its .354/.355 NEVER seen larger. larger in a factory round.

Yes America loves the AR-15. But #1 not everyone is allowed to hunt one & 2, lever actions are Right there with Apple Pie & Baseball for Americans! So plenty of room for both!

I agree, I am surprised the LongRanger has not been chambered for the 9x45 as well.

CW
    Last edited by cwlongshot; 02-07-2023 at 06:01 AM.

Boolit Master
    Too bad most of you haven’t really tried to learn anything about the .357max. Lots of “knowledge” about it, but none of it based on facts. I’ve owned many, many .357mag handguns and rifles over the years. At least four of them custom builds in revolvers and semi autos. The .357mag is a very good cartridge in both handguns and rifles. To date I’ve owned six different .357max rifles. I also own a chronograph and I have pages of data collected on different loads tried in all of these guns. The .357max was designed to be shot out of a revolver for IHMSA silhouette shooting. It was never loaded anywhere near its full potential in a revolver, but in a rifle it’s a whole different breed of animal. You can easily and safely get a 180g bullet up to 2,000 fps in a rifle like a TC Encore and with some load development you can get true five shot 1moa accuracy. The drawback is that no one builds a lever gun for this round and the same loads you can safely shoot in a single shot rifle probably aren’t safe in a converted lever gun. I’ve shot a lot of deer with the Max, and some were at or beyond 200 yards. I haven’t shot any further simply because where I hunt there’s no place to shoot further than that. Ringing a 10” AR500 gong at 300 yards is monotonously boring. I’m not saying that the .357max is better or worse than the Buckhammer or the Legend, but components are much easier to get if you reload. I’m not expecting to see a glut of loaded ammo available for either of the two new “upstarts” now or in the future. It’s hard enough to get common things right now.

LongRanger in 9x45? Needs a much bigger/heavier barrel and changed action. It's based 308 action. Besides, they went with the 'other' round.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master
    Been enjoying the 357 max. for about 35 years or so, from a DW , NEF and two Rugers, revolver and #1. I have pushed the #1 to 2500fps with a 158gr boolit. They should have lengthened the Max. and made a rimless Super Max. at 1.8" long.

Boolit Master

Same here. Bought my first as a 10" contender in about 1987. Then a H&R then another and another and Savage last. Re chambered a couple 357 Chambers to Maxi.

I have killed countless deer in half a dozen states and hogs with them. LOVE the caliber with 1680 & a 180 SSP @ 2050/2075 ish. Most kills have been bang flops never lost a deer. Speer 180's and Hornady 158 SP and later the 180 XTP and 158 XTP-FP bullets too!

Today I only have three. A 'tender a orig H&R and a Savage 24v.

Boolit Master

Boolit Master

Manson Reamers had Three reamers yesterday!!

Mike Bellum grabbed one.

CW

Boolit Master

Boolit Master
    I read somewhere yesterday that the 350L cannot be used in all straight case states (Ohio, I think), because the nominal bullet diameter in .355 and not .357. That is one reason for 360BM.

Boolit Grand Master

I just checked Ohio's regulations. Under legal cartridge dimensions, it says in parentheses (Includes 350 legend). Also, if you look at the SAAMI cartridge dimension specs for 350 legend, you will find that it specs .357" bullet with a -.003" tolerance. It can be used in all straight wall cartridge states as of now.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast