RepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: .360 Buckhammer

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by justindad View Post
    I read somewhere yesterday that the 350L cannot be used in all straight case states (Ohio, I think), because the nominal bullet diameter in .355 and not .357. That is one reason for 360BM.
    They 100% SHOULD HAVE BEEN restricted by that!!!! But as mentioned SAMMI has a +- .002/003 dimensional allowance. (For DRAWING NOT FOREARM!)

Part of what urked me few tears back. Winchesters pompousness... going 9mm over a "real 35".
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Michigan says 35 caliber minimum. 1.18(?) Minimum, 1.80 maximum length. Straight walled, but doesn't say parallel walled.
    Both .354 and .358 are 35 caliber.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BABore View Post
    Michigan says 35 caliber minimum. 1.18(?) Minimum, 1.80 maximum length. Straight walled, but doesn't say parallel walled.
    Both .354 and .358 are 35 caliber.
    Yes, this is true.

But when released there was ZERO NONE NADA 9mm RIFLE BULLETS.

ZERO reason for this. Re creating the wheel needlessly. But for market share. As a caster it didnt matter and its only way I justified caliber at its start. Today years later we have a few bullets offered. But we already had many fine proven 358 dia bullets.

CW

Boolit Grand Master

While I agree a companies choice to use .355" bullets in their factory loads is questionable, the 350 Legend can use larger bullets. There is nothing stopping you from loading .358" bullets in 350 legend.

Article in the May/June Rifleshooter magazine comparing the 360 Buckhammer and 350 Legend.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    While I agree a companies choice to use .355" bullets in their factory loads is questionable, the 350 Legend can use larger bullets. There is nothing stopping you from loading .358" bullets in 350 legend.
    Not true. Neither of mine will even chamber a 357 diameter bullet!!

CW

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    Not true. Neither of mine will even chamber a 357 diameter bullet!!

CW
    Then yours have a real problem, they are not in SAAMI specs.

Boolit Master
    MSM, not being able to use 0.357" jacketed or 0.358" cast on a 350L is "normal" with current production guns and typical brass.

The bore diameter is not the problem.

The problem is the chamber neck dimension in combination with normal brass wall thickness.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by P Flados View Post
    MSM, not being able to use 0.357" jacketed or 0.358" cast on a 350L is "normal" with current production guns and typical brass.

The bore diameter is not the problem.

The problem is the chamber neck dimension in combination with normal brass wall thickness.
    Which is out of spec. SAAMI states, the 350 Legend cartridge can take a .357" bullet -.003" tolerance. For the chamber they spec about .380" with a +.002" tolerance where the bullet sits. They spec .357" +.002" tolerance for the throat.

This is going to be even more of a problem with all of the factory loads out there with .357" bullets. Normal or not, if you can't chamber a .357" bullet, your gun is not made to SAAMI specs for 350 Legend, which admittedly are voluntary.

Boolit Grand Master

The cartridge drawing from Winchester doesn’t show critical chamber specs. I went on the actual SAMMI website and the chamber drawing for the 350 Legend shows the throat dimension to be .357” no plus or minus and you would have trouble chambering a bullet that is .357 with any of the full diameter shank above the case mouth.
    To me that is too tight if they are actually reamed that size.
    Jedman

Boolit Grand Master

All unstated tolerances are +.002". It says that on the side. The 350 Legend was made from day 1 to shoot .357" bullets. If yours can't, that's 100% the fault of the firearms manufacturer.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    All unstated tolerances are +.002". It says that on the side. The 350 Legend was made from day 1 to shoot .357" bullets. If yours can't, that's 100% the fault of the firearms manufacturer.

Out of three different manufacture barrels all of them won't chamber a 357 diameter jacketed bullet… Faxon, Ruger & BCA barrels. Yeah, no it's not the manufacture.

Horse, Pucky! And you know it!
    Go shoot a .311 JACKETED bullet in your 308 or 30/06, and when they don't fit, I'll tell YOU, it's a problem with your gun, or its manufacturer.
    Its simply not true. The 350 Legend cartridge is designed for .355 bullet PERIOD!

This thread is about the 360, not the 9x45.

I have a good friend who has a reamer & RCBS dies in bound. I beleive he is stubbing a H&R.

Boolit Grand Master

SAAMI spec for 308 and 30/06 are both .309" - .003" bullets. .310"+.002" throats. I'm not sure where to get .311" jacketed bullets, but there are a ton of .310" 123gr bullets that work just fine in them. It used to be done a lot more when 7.62x39 pulldown bullets were ridiculously cheap. I don't know what else to tell you. You can see the SAMMI specs yourself. If they are followed, 350 Legend will chamber a minimum of a .357" bullet. Winchester is loading .357" bullets, clearly they intend them to be used. I just dont see this as a real justification on 360 BH based on bullet size alone.
    Last edited by megasupermagnum; 03-07-2023 at 11:49 PM.

Boolit Master
    The 350L factory ammo is being made "to the spec" in a creative fashion. They are using the tolerance and the bullets are pretty much all right at 0.355". The 350L specific bullets available on the market are all the same, 0.355".

The spec does not control brass wall thickness. The facts are that current ammo & brass is being produced with a thickness that prevents using 0.357" bullets in the vast majority of all 350 Legend guns out there.

No one is making factory ammo for the 350L with actual 0.357" bullets and brass that is thin enough to meet specs on cartridge OD in the neck region.

An individual can use neck turning or reaming to reduce neck wall thickness. This would allow using 0.357" bullets.

You can also resize a .358 jacketed bullet through a Lee sizing die for use in the Legend.

Boolit Grand Master

Just got an email from Mike Bellum - he is chambering Encore barrels for it now. And he is a big pusher of the 357 Max as well.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

After looking at the Sammi drawing, I can see where the lack of a straight section in the neck area would be "iffy" if it was chambered in a Magnum Research revolver like I have contemplated. Not enough friction area to help the crimp get a good bite in the boolit. Could necessitate a very heavy crimp to keep the boolit from walking out of the case. In a single shot, it might be just ducky but in a lever gun???
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    .... I can see where the lack of a straight section in the neck area would be "iffy" if it was chambered in a Magnum Research revolver like I have contemplated.....
    Ask and you shall recieve.

https://freerangeamerican.us/360-buckhammer-revolver/

Boolit Master

Henry, Marlin/Ruger, Rossi, etc can't keep up with demands now, and prices are high.

I like the idea of the .360 BH, and the cartridge really has good ballistics. I understand why it was made, to meet certain laws and regulations. I also know that "new and improved" is the way of marketing.

In reality, the .44 Magnum will put just about anything that walks in North America on the ground with a proper bullet out to 100 yards. In a rifle, it fits all the regulations and laws. And ammo is easier to find for those who don't reload.

And your revolver and rifle use the same cartridge!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast