Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2WidenersLoad DataRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using Lee 2-Cavity Molds

Boolit Mold

Using Lee 2-Cavity Molds

Been casting a few years, but only sporadically. Most of my molds are cast iron, but I also have a couple of Lee 2-cavity molds. My normal cadence seems to work well with the cast iron molds, but I seem to find my Lees overheating.

So, for those frequently using the Lee 2-cavity aluminum molds, do you:
    Pause your pouring periodically to let the mold cool?
    Run the lead pot at a lower temperature?
    Both?
    Something else?

Thanks.

Banner Sponsor

You'll want to keep an even pace, but probably at a slower pace. Or give them a moment to cool in-between pours, but keep an even pace to keep the bullets consistent.

I have a fan close by. Hold mold in front. Plus-

Boolit Master
    You can keep a damp towel close by, when the mold overheats set your mold down on the towel for a few seconds to cool. A few times doing this and you'll figure out how often and for how long.

Moderator Emeritus

As 243winxb mentions, a Fan.
    I have a bunch of 2 cav Lee molds. When casting with the molds with larger cavities, I have a small fan moving air over the area where I drop the boolits.

Also, always adjust your pace, instead of alloy temp, to control Mold temp. Alloy temp should be set consistently (per alloy) at about 100º above liquidus temp, depending on ambient air temp.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by lar45 View Post
    You'll want to keep an even pace, but probably at a slower pace. Or give them a moment to cool in-between pours, but keep an even pace to keep the bullets consistent.
    ^This^
    Slow your pace to find the rhythm that keeps mold temperature in the ideal operating window. Aluminum molds have a tighter temperature window. Keep notes on the appropriate pace once you find it as it is mold specific. Adding tin to your alloy for fill out will allow you to cast at a lower temperature and helps with aluminum molds.
    Willie

Boolit Master

I use a piece of 1" aluminum tool plate for a heat sink, holding the mold against it for a few seconds before opening to drop boolits on folded towel. Speeds up hardening of pour and prevents mold from overheating.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master

Use two or three molds as needed to maintain temps.

I only use a couple of Lee molds, and when mine starts to act too hot,
    I leave it open after a drop and just wave it around a few seconds.
    The Alum. gives up the 'extra' heat pretty quickly.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I have also used the technique of casting with two molds to maintain a good casting temp. Depending upon my needs I'll cast two very different boolits to make it easier to sort as I dump the air-cooled ones into a towel lined Coke flat, or the water quenched into a 5 gallon bucket of tap water. GF

Arrow

BBarn, Take a look at this, from the late BruceB: https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...casting+method

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I'll try some of them the next time I'm using the Lee molds.

Boolit Master
    I've tried using a damp sponge in the past with mixed degrees of success. When I notice that I'm starting to cast too hot I tap the bottom of the mold on the damp sponge to wick away some of the heat. But timing is everything with aluminum. Like you, I've always found Iron/Brass molds to have a better cadence. I But I will say that I start getting acceptable casts faster with aluminum molds.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Maven View Post
    BBarn, Take a look at this, from the late BruceB: https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...casting+method
    That's how I do it. Each mold is a little different on timing. One I have I set the bottom of the mold on the wet towel for 3 seconds. If the sprue takes too long to solidify I also flip the mold and set the sprue plate on the towel for 1-2 seconds.

Another mold I only touch the sprue plate to the towel between casts.

I've tried running more than one mold and the temp gets messed up. Some molds require more cooling than others.

The other key is to preheat using a hot plate. I set the temp on mine so the mold is just a little too hot. First cast is tossed aside and then the wet towel cooling tempo works.

FWIW, this is the method I use for all my Aluminum molds, not just Lee.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I often use a damp towel to cool mine down. Also, I’ll have at least an additional one to switch to if things get too hot.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    Use two or three molds as needed to maintain temps.
    Same here, especially in the hotter dry temps here in the desert. Even with 4 -6 cavity moulds I use 2 or three moulds. I also have a small fan that blows over the moulds. After pouring I set the moulds on an old machine gun asbestos glove, pick up the next mould, cut the sprue, dump the bullets, put the sprue in the pot, close the blocks, pour, then repeat.

Three Lee moulds of single or double cavity are the norm when casting. That is with normal cast bullets. With match cast bullets or specialty cast I just slow the pace down for consistent use with one mould.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

I also use a damp towel from time to time on the 2 cavity molds. The 6 cav's don't seem to have that problem.

Most sessions I will only touch it to the towel 2 or 3 times in a session to cool it down a bit.

I do tend to not run my pot hot as long as it is pouring good boolits.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master

I have the opposite problem, my solid surface hot plate won't get the mold past about 370 deg. I read somewhere that there is a fix for that but can't remember where.
    I have to cast fast just to keep the temp. up.
    God Bless, Whisler

Boolit Master

The very obvious answer, which eluded me for years, is to run two molds. When the first starts overheating, swap over to the second. Simple. Some use a damp rag to cool their molds. I would suggest not doing so. It can cause molds to warp.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanzy4200 View Post
    The very obvious answer, which eluded me for years, is to run two molds. When the first starts overheating, swap over to the second. Simple. Some use a damp rag to cool their molds. I would suggest not doing so. It can cause molds to warp.
    I've used a wet towel with 2 and 6 cavity Lee, 4 cavity NOE and 2 cavity Accurate molds for many thousands of rounds for a few decades now and none have ever warped from being treated with a wet towel. I've never heard of that happening. Lee even recommends the practice. The only real caution is to not allow any water to get inside the mold. If you do use a wet towel then make sure you do it before dropping the bullets, and keep the molds securely closed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast