Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxReloading Everything
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Wideners
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Smelting car battery lead

Boolit Buddy
    The other problem that hasn't been mentioned is that about 80 % of a battery's weight is two varieties of lead oxide. You don't have enough heat to "smelt" either variety. Both are TOXIC. Sell the batteries and develop other sources for your lead supply. Live longer and prosper!

Boolit Mold
    For all who say get scrap yard lead or other safer sources, being near Chicago there are not many sources that will willingly sell lead, aside from ordering stuff online which can get difficult for me (poor student) so forgive me for tempting the fates of trying to find what I can. I have yet to find a reliable source for lead.

The Basis for Compositional Bullet Lead Comparisons

Having tried batteries, years ago. Forget it. Not much lead in there.

The other elements are present in trace amounts and can vary from one product to another. Bullet leads analyzed from CCI, Federal, Remington, and Winchester have contained up to 0.42 percent arsenic, 6.8 percent antimony, 2.5 percent tin, 0.2 percent bismuth, 0.22 percent copper, 0.031 percent silver, and 0.011 percent cadmium. The wide ranges in concentrations of all of these elements within sources provide for thousands of distinguishable melts of bullet lead at any one time.
    The composition of a molten pot of battery lead can change because of volatilization of selected elements, segregation during solidification, as well as other factors (Schmitt et al. 1989). However, in experimental studies of bullet lead ingots, no compositional variations have been observed.

https://go.gale.com/ps/i.do?p=AONE&u...&asid=52df183f

City of Vernon smelter Background
    The input of the Vernon smelter is spent automotive batteries. Its output is purified lead for the manufacture of
    new batteries; plastic for non-food uses and neutralized sulfuric acid from which fertilizers and other
    commodities are manufactured. From start to finish, little is wasted. In between is a gritty manufacturing
    operation that involves handling TOXIC and CORROSIVE materials.

Closed- Former Exide Facility at 2700 South Indiana Avenue, Vernon, CA.
    Last edited by 243winxb; 01-14-2023 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Former Exide Facility at 2700 South Indiana Avenue, Vernon, CA.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I remember when people used to steal car batteries to sell for scrap value. Now they have moved on to catalytic converters.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdTennCoC View Post
    For all who say get scrap yard lead or other safer sources, being near Chicago there are not many sources that will willingly sell lead, aside from ordering stuff online which can get difficult for me (poor student) so forgive me for tempting the fates of trying to find what I can. I have yet to find a reliable source for lead.
    It's true that scrap lead is getting harder to find, but it's still out there. I can't believe Chicago has dried up. I suggest just buy what you need for now from castboolits sources here and keep putting out the word with your friends and acquaintances, and sooner or later (maybe a few years), people will be coming to you, saying they have some BIG stash of Lead for you.

Recycling prices for used Car Batteries are higher than the value of the content of Lead, even if it wasn't dangerous to melt them, you'll be able to buy more boolit Lead from selling car batteries, then from melting them.

Good Luck
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bannister View Post
    No matter how many threads are provided to document that it is dangerous, produces little return, and there are better things to use, some folks just have gotta test the electric fence anyway.
    Yep. A whole bunch of chemists can testify to the toxicity fumes from melting battery lead, but someone will do it anyway. Besides there ain't much lead in batteries manufactured in the last 15-20 years (Many just have "grids" resembling 1/4" hardware cloth).
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    Scrap lead might have been a primary source for casting but it was never the only source, a lot of us are just offended because The Good Old Days are gone.
    Hit the Rotometals link up at the top of the page, or buy lead from other members. It may cost more than you want to spend but it's clean, safe, ready to use and you get a known quantity instead of being disappointed by how little lead came out of those batteries after all that work. Plus I don't know if I'd want raw battery lead in my bottom pour Lee.
    Ain't worth it.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

in my state a large amount of older large cities have received over a billion dollars in federal [ tax payer ] funding to have lead water supply pipes replaced - contractors are selling the removed lead pipes to scrap yards + metal recyclers adding to the supply -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

I would spend that time trying to make some side money rather than tearing batteries apart. that is filthy nasty work. I did it once just to do it never again. I didn't even bother melting them down. I just wanted a better lead price from the scrap yard instead of battery price, now I just make sure they aren't dry when I take them in. Lol.

I went after the red lead oxide on the last battery I cracked apart, Not much lead, The red lead oxide makes for some fine sparks with styfanate. All will have adverse effects on your health. Think primers..
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Boolit Master
    Not really anything other than what has been mentioned before... But, why risk it?

Don't get me wrong, I completely understand trying to find creative / new ways to obtain lead. EVERYONE tries to think of the next way they can get a decent score. Especially when the spot price on lead is about $1/lb, and everyone sells it for $2-3/lb for various scrap forms that we have no way of knowing the alloy of. I'm reminded of this every time I go to the marketplace sub-forum here. But some rewards are just not worth the risk, period. Or as my old man used to say, "The juice isn't worth the squeeze."

Consider the same logic for anything in life and you'll live a lot longer, or at least happier life. I once decided to try and use chisel and mallet while holding a piece of wood and the chisel in the same hand rather than using my wood vise. That mistake cost me an evening in the ER, 11 stitches, a $3500 ER bill, a week's worth of work product, partial loss of feeling in my finger, a notable loss of strength in that finger, and a scare that constantly gives me problems. And for what did I lose all of this? A little expediency??? Like I said, some rewards are not worth the risk.

It's up to you. I on the other hand would like to stay above the dirt a little longer... But if you're going to do it have a friend video tape it and post it on YouTube so that others learn from whatever mistakes you make. Who knows, it might bring some closure to this topic....
    JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Master
    There are other better sources for lead: lead isotope containers, lead dental scrap, lead roof sheathing, lead tire weights (when you can find them), lead diving belts, lead boat ballast, etc. Melting down batteries isn't a very good idea. Ever notice how, in every post-apocalyptic science fiction movies ever made, where the whole Earth has been converted into a toxic war mongering homeless camp, you never see anyone melting down car batteries for their bullets? That's because even in a Road Warrior type scenario it's still a bad idea. Just the cadmium alone; if you breath in cadmium fumes it's going to be a race between pancreatic cancer and the brain tumor to see which one gets you first. Just don't do it. There's lots of better, safer, and more abundant sources.

Boolit Mold
    I'm sure Chicago hasn't dried up yet more just no one want the liability of selling it to someone who isn't a recycling company. This was a thiugh since I had them on hand. Unfortunately I'm not as in the loop as others here on sources for scrap. Who are those here known to sell lead? I need a bit of everything, pure, #2, lino and such

Super Moderator

I'm sure Chicago hasn't dried up yet more just no one want the liability of selling it to someone who isn't a recycling company. This was a thiugh since I had them on hand. Unfortunately I'm not as in the loop as others here on sources for scrap. Who are those here known to sell lead? I need a bit of everything, pure, #2, lino and such
    Rotometals is a site sponsor, and is great to deal with. Also there are several members here selling lead on a regular basis, check the Swappin' & Sellin' forum from time to time.

https://www.rotometals.com/bullet-casting-alloys/

TheCaptain is another source on this site, might shoot her a PM to see what she has.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/mem...216-TheCaptain

Hope this helps...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    Scrap lead might have been a primary source for casting but it was never the only source, a lot of us are just offended because The Good Old Days are gone.
    Hit the Rotometals link up at the top of the page, or buy lead from other members. It may cost more than you want to spend but it's clean, safe, ready to use and you get a known quantity instead of being disappointed by how little lead came out of those batteries after all that work. Plus I don't know if I'd want raw battery lead in my bottom pour Lee.
    Ain't worth it.
    At one time I spent considerable time trying to scrounge up scrap lead, only to come back home pretty much empty handed. Then I discovered Roto-Metals. At first glance, it seemed to be a costly way to go, but considering the price of gasoline burned up just to come home with nothing, it made more sense. 50 pounds gets free shipping, delivered right to my back door.

For what it's worth, the cost of buying bullets ready to load is about the same as casting my own with purchased lead. Maybe even cheaper considering the cost of the equipment needed for do-it-yourself bullet casting, but not near as much fun.

Boolit Grand Master

I'll be another that says don't do it. Sell the batteries and buy lead from the for sale section on here.

If you look under the Swapping and Selling subforum, you are (as I understand it) currently allowed to post a "want to buy" thread. With another five posts under your belt, you will be authorized to post "want to sell" threads. Under the vendor sponsor heading, you might want to look up the vendor known as The Captain. I have not purchased from her, but she sells lead at a reasonable rate, with many positive comments from members here. Individual members are often willing to part with smaller quantities of the metals you are looking for.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master
    Yep, days have changed. Don't see much scrap lead around here anymore either. I tried some of the 'normal' sources but the ones I approached are required to give theirs to those dealers certified by their companies. I have been buying from Rotometal for several years now.

Boolit Master
    The folks on this board telling you something is dangerous/lethal are the same folks who often scoff at the general public when folks say this-and-that is dangerous/poisonous/etc. These are not overly cautious, fearful people.
    What about shooting guns makes you want to risk your life? If melting down battery lead is the only way that you can shoot, then don’t shoot. Better yet, get a job. I graduated with two majors in engineering and I worked a job.

Boolit Master
    from what Ive heard ,the low maintenance /sealed lead acid batteries yield a useless mush ,not metallic lead suitable for casting............The only lead yield from low maintenance is to cut off the terminals and ,if you lift the tops ,the joiners ............dont melt the lot ,just clip off the solid lead.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast