Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionRepackbox
RotoMetals2

Thread: Swiss vetterli shooters?

Boolit Bub

Swiss vetterli shooters?

A recent search through YouTube and Google has shown me how very few people who shoot Vetterlis use HOLY BLACK. Many posts also claim its impossible to fit 58g of 3f in the case like the orginal..

Well, I'd like to share how I reload for my 69 and 81 vetterli with black powder AND a full charge of 58g of 3f.

My favorite load for my 69 that regular shoots 3 to 4 inch groups and 200 yards utilizes a 400g .440 custom slug @20:1 thats a slip fit in a fired case. The heavy slug brings the POI down nicely. Using 3f shutzen, I compress the load in two steps, adding half of the powder, compressing then adding the rest with a final compression to .420. I do not use a wad. I then dip the nose of the bullet to add a thin layer of hard wax that won't easily rub off in the tube and action.

My 81 follows the same operation except I use a .430 slug from accurate mold recommended by Norm Sutton. The bullet is 310 grains and regulates with the sights. This load shot a nice 3 inch group at 200 yards.

Although time consuming, these loads produce little recoil and are very effective. I encourage you all to try some black powder in your vetterli.

Boolit Master
    I use black powder in my 81. Getting the OAL of the cases to 2.2" so they will feed through the magazine is a challenge.
    For lube, I spray the vegetable spray PAM down the barrel every few shots.
    I haven't tried smokeless yet and probably won't.
    I read a great description of working the action: "Closing the bolt is like slamming a jail cell door shut."
    I have some vintage ammo but I haven't tried any yet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF4557.JPG   DSCF4565.jpg  

Boolit Bub
    Nice I will try the Pam trick on my woods walk. Neither of my bullets have sufficient lube grooves.

Boolit Master
    If you use PAM, make sure you clean it completely from the action or it will form a hard, sticky mess, kinda like Polyurethane. You don't need alot of it. Just keep it in the barrel. After you shoot, and use it, point the muzzle to the ground and watch all the crap slither out.

Boolit Buddy

Steve:
    I have 4 Swiss Vetterli's that I shoot!. I prefer the Model 1881 two band rifle. First I have converted all of them to centerfire. The groove diameter is .445~.446. The rifle was made to shoot a heeled boolit. The neck of the chamber is too small to shoot a groove diameter bullet. I ground up a neck reamer to open the chamber neck. My Lyman .446110 casts a 340 gr projectile that will shoot an 1 1/2" group @ 100 yds. The sized and lubed .446 boolit loads and crimps perfect! Overall length is important so the cartridges load through the elevator/ magazine. I have never shot black powder. 5744, 4198, 4759, and Reloader No.7 works great. I load a lot of 11mm French Grau ammo reforming .348 Winchester brass. Shoot em in a Colt 1918 Vickers gun. Made my own dies for the 11mm Swiss. I use my mistake 11mm .348 Win cases. I just shorten them to work in the Swiss Vetterli. Even shot a deer with a soft cast boolit out of my 2-bander Vetterli. They are a great rifle as they don't bring alot of money and usually the bores are excellent!

Boolit Bub
    The gras is a really under appreciated rifle and cartridge. I have a somewhat ratty m80 gras that shoots the same .440 projectile with a paper patch. As accurate as any other rifle of the era. Glad to see another vetterli shooter. My goodness, if they were more widespread they would be the most effective military rifle of the day.

Boolit Master

Congratulations on your success with using black powder. I have had really good results with smokeless.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

I normally shoot mine with a 385 grain paper patched bullet from a mold that I made, over a duplex load of 4227 and FFg black. That takes care of the fouling, and the ballistics duplicate the original load so it hits to the sights. It used to be great fun to go out to the range that hanging steel out to 800 yards and ring the gongs while the tactical crowd with their big scopes watched. These are very accurate rifles when fed properly.

Boolit Master

Nice shooting ! I used to shoot mine in ragged one hole clover leaf groups at 50 yards' 4759 or Unique. For OP, you mention slip fitting, any crimp at all? l'd want a good solid crimp. Cases from 348?

Boolit Bub
    No crimp, slip fit on top of the solid compressed black powder. Feeds fine with no issues

Boolit Master
    If there was a contest to name, the ugliest repeating rifle ever made, the Verttilli would win, hands down.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Bub
    Its deffinatly a strange looking gun. Effective nonetheless

Boolit Buddy

Gopher:
    You said it! The Vetterli is an ugly duck but boy do they shoot! Finally found an Italian Vetterli in the original 11mm not converted to 6.5 mm Hope to get it shooting too along with my centerfire converted Swiss Vetterli rifles. The 348 Winchester case works great! The Italian Vetterli is even more homely than the Swiss Vetterli !!!

Boolit Buddy

Gopher: I usually shoot in my back yard. Have three ranges on the farm but once in a while I will go with a friend to a range. The Swiss Vetterli ugly duck comes out. Always have someone wanting to know all about the "duck". Usually I let em shoot it. Who knows maybe they will become more sought after and the price will go up!!!! Its fun to ring the iron targets!!

Boolit Bub
    It wa s ugly because it was ground breaking tech. Unheard of was it to see a rifle with two locking lugs, a internal striker, tube magazine. Truly the most advanced military rifle of its day.

Boolit Master
    What?

No pictures?

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Buddy

Swiss Vetterli's have three locking lugs machined at 120* on the bolt handle ring. The rear of the receiver is broached with three corresponding lugs. Way ahead of it's time.