Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading Everything
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Opinions on a new 44 Mag levergun purchase

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMax View Post
    I am not a negative Na Bob. I try not to clutter up others dream/s. Just my experience being 44 mag lever owner.
    During the Reagan years I bought a new post 94 Trapper 44. A year or two later I kept asking myself why I bought it? But---Luck would have it I sold it to appreciative co-worker at a much discount price he in-turn traded it for Glock 17 a few years later. Personally I think the 357 would be a better cartridge in a lever rifle than the 44. Big bore? Hard to better a 45 long colt slow moving with decent accuracy. A true thin skin thump-er the colt cartridge is.
    Understand... But, This is Not something I decided out of the blue.. there are myriad reasons for my decision... I have plenty of 38/357 firearms.. got rid of some even!!! If my 10" contender cant "cut it"...welp...gots a 357 Herrett Contender...and a couple of 35 Remingtons... including one built on a 98 Mauser...so..strength to go Overboard if it were ever something Needed...which I highly doubt.
    I enjoy the 44 Magnum (and of course my 44 Spl) just Not in a platform like the Contender... My Arthritis and such BS keeps my Hands ...Tender??? or not enjoying a beating anyway.. Blackhawk, certainly Redhawk, are entirely bearable... If, I don't go too crazy.. Which I do Not... in fact my 44 handguns have Never had a Factory load fired in them....Not a One!! Learned years ago on that one!!!
    I appreciate what is being conveyed... but... I take a Very long time indeed to "Act" on my Whims.. Thanks

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    ... in fact my 44 handguns have Never had a Factory load fired in them....Not a One!!
    Let's see here, none of these guns have seen a factory round in the time I have owned them:
    Four .30-30's
    .257, .308, 6.5, and .223 bolt guns
    Four of five .38 Specials
    Two .45-70's
    Three of my five 9mm pistols
    Two .32 Auto pistols
    One of two .357 carbines, the other hasn't seen a factory round since I started rolling my own 20 years ago.

I guess I got da fever and I got it bad!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    So... FergusonTO35, Gets it....
    Oh and there are Myriad other Guns on the Farm, that have never been fed factory fodder...

Factory ammo is boring and overpriced, I say!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Factory ammo is boring and overpriced, I say!
    But, There is still some Factory fodder around here.. Half a box of 32H&R from when my Bitter Half first got her SSM.. she could Not wait to touch it off!! Full box of 30-06 accelerators... Just because I kinda Dug the idea.. 44's and 357's etc..usually part of "package deals"!
    That kind of thing!!!!

I have a few boxes of a really good .30-30 load that Federal used to make. It was the blue box non-premium line but loaded with Speer Grand Slam bullets and they were only a dollar or two more than standard. Of course, they got wise to what they were doing and discontinued it in favor of the premium line.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456