MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackboxInline Fabrication
Load Data
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on a new 44 Mag levergun purchase

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Racepres: FYI none of the Marlin 1894's have had Micro Groove Rifling since about 2012. The OAL of the Keith boolit in a Magnum case maybe be too long to fit in the 96's action. The Lyman Devastator boolit will fit

Randy
    Thanks for the Info.. I sort of have my Boolits picked out for the 96/44

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    If I were you, I would figger out which boolit and load it likes, then deal with feeding.
    Huh?? Why apply Logic to this endeavor??? LOL Especially since I done tole ya, I really like that Boolit!!!
    With Magazine empty, that Load does pretty much "plunk" in...so No Reason not to do a Sanity check...I Guess...Got me Gigglin Now!!!!
    I have learned that it is like the SBH with the 200 gr RF loading... Puts em where ya Point..Whew...One down!!

Edit; as of this (cold) afternoon...I believe it is gonna really like the 310 RFGC Lee.. With a book load of H110, it stops yer shivverin right where ya Was!!!!
    Last edited by racepres; 01-23-2023 at 05:13 PM.

Lots of boolits out there for the 44, you'll find one that works! Congrats on your acquisition.
    Yeah, you'll have 2 different loads, one for the rifle, one for the revolver, but you'll have an ez identifier if you've got 2 different boolits.
    A population of sheep will beget a government of wolves.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rrusse11 View Post
    Lots of boolits out there for the 44, you'll find one that works! Congrats on your acquisition.
    Yeah, you'll have 2 different loads, one for the rifle, one for the revolver, but you'll have an ez identifier if you've got 2 different boolits.
    Lookin more and more like that!!! I already have different Boolits for Contender in more than a couple loads/calibers!!
    Used to it...Just don't really Like it... Maybe I will get lucky with one or two!!!

You'll certainly get a good bump in velocity with the rifle. I'll assume it's a strong action, you should be able to load it up with some of the slower burning powders.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rrusse11 View Post
    You'll certainly get a good bump in velocity with the rifle. I'll assume it's a strong action, you should be able to load it up with some of the slower burning powders.
    Welp...I would think it stout, as it is a Ruger...But...It sure don't look anything all that "beefy"...That is OK, I did Not get it for anything near Hot...Just "healthy".. Accuracy is paramount however.. I need all the help I can get!!!!!

Well if you want beefy, find a 444Marlin. But yeah, accuracy is paramount for any rifle/caliber.

Boolit Buddy
    I bought a Rossi (Braztech) but it's too snowey, muddy to take out, yet.
    That has given me time to do what I feel is good to it.
    Mine is an R92 .44 Mag Trapper's model, and I shortened the magazine to 1/2 length(I have several rifles that are modified this way)
    the butt is now a shotgun-style with a recoil pad. I put recoil pads on so they won't "skitter" out across the floor when I stand them behind the kitchen door.
    I replaced the safety with the "Steve's Gunz" peep and it is great!
    The loads I have ready for it are a few 200gr RFs, some 220gr RFs, and some 240SWCs all of which feed well. I worked with them, eventhough I haven't been able to take it out to "make noise."

I have a couple revolvers to take with me when I go, and I can tell the difference in ammo as they are Ruger "Flattop" Blackhawks.
    have fun,
    Gene
    El plomo ES oro

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post
    Mine is an R92 .44 Mag Trapper's model, and I shortened the magazine to 1/2 length(I have several rifles that are modified this way)
    the butt is now a shotgun-style with a recoil pad. I put recoil pads on so they won't "skitter" out across the floor when I stand them behind the kitchen door.
    The loads I have ready for it are a few 200gr RFs, some 220gr RFs, and some 240SWCs all of which feed well. I worked with them, eventhough I haven't been able to take it out to "make noise."

I have a couple revolvers to take with me when I go, and I can tell the difference in ammo as they are Ruger "Flattop" Blackhawks.
    have fun,
    Gene
    I am... and the 200 gr Lee is shooting in both SBH and M96!!! Happily!!

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post

have fun,
    Gene
    Sounds great, got any pics?
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    I am... and the 200 gr Lee is shooting in both SBH and M96!!! Happily!!
    That 200 grain Lee is one of their best. It also works great in a sabot for muzzleloaders.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    That 200 grain Lee is one of their best. It also works great in a sabot for muzzleloaders.
    I like it lots... Now I am working a Powder puff load for the contender for more Recoil sensitive shooters!!! Prolly just good ole 44 Spl!!

Pulled the Trigger on the Ruger 96/44
    Even if it hates my pet 255 swc!!! Darnnit
    Maybe I can massage it... as the SBH shoots it very well indeed!!
    Sure has been an Experience, and Adventure... would have been nice to have Shot every one mentioned.... But... those days are Gone..
    decided to **** or get off the Pot, while the Deal was Sweet!!!
    Thanks and I sincerely appreciate every single Response!!!
    Congrats on a great find, I don't believe there are a lot of those out there.
    Any way we could get a pic. of your new to you baby??

RP

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pereira View Post
    Congrats on a great find, I don't believe there are a lot of those out there.
    Any way we could get a pic. of your new to you baby??

RP
    Yes on Pic...Wait one!!

Edit; Best I am able to do!!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3596.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	309891

I do Not like the scope it came with...Will search out a Compact, fixed power..
    Last edited by racepres; 01-29-2023 at 12:49 PM.

A 1-4 variable or even a Red Dot would be the right choice for that gun. The gun is a 150-200 yard gun and with a little practice you can hit what you are shooting at with a Red Dot just like you can with a scope.

I have Red Dots mounted on all my Carbines and can hit Man sized targets out to 200 yards 100%, and about 80% at 300. Off a rest.

The whole idea is not weighing the gun down with an optic that weighs a pound or more. I just mounted a 2-6x Czech made scope on my new Airgun. It weighs 8 oz. Didn't want to be carrying around a heavy gun while hunting, but needed a optic for more precise shot placement.

The way a gun handles is a big deal, and if you make the gun all Clunky with a big scope it never feels right in your hands. I even have a Red Dot I can mount on my Scout Rifle where fast Handling can and would make a difference.

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2303.jpg   100464963.JPG   47273.JPG  
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

"The way a gun handles is a big deal,"
    One of the reasons I dislike the full length magazine on most leverguns, 1/2 >2/3 MUCH preferred.
    Full of boolits, really throws the balance off. That and barrel harmonics, get that attachment point
    back in to a more neutral zone. Shooting sporting clays taught me a LOT about balance and stock fit.
    And YES to red dots! Just got a Romeo5 2MOA dot sight, going on the 32-20 1894CL.

Boolit Buddy
    Fergusson-I do, but they are on my phone and I don't know how to transfer them.
    El plomo ES oro

Yes on Pic...Wait one!!

Oh man, she looks to be in great shape.
    Congrats again.

RP

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pereira View Post
    Oh man, she looks to be in great shape.
    Congrats again.

RP
    Thank You

I feel the condition is borderline Excellent..certainly better than Good. Should be all I require for a Very long time...especially since the 35 Remington gets most of the heavy work around here...In the Past anyway!!!

Yes on Pic...Wait one!!

Leupold FX 2.5x20 for the win. Or, Weaver V3 if you can find one.

Boolit Master
    Got a Marlin 1894 in 44 Mag in the early 70's. Rifle dearly loves Hornady 265 gr jacketed bullets. Had a problem unloading it. Had to take it to a LGS several times to unload. Finally loaded it at the shop and tried to unload there. Shop sent it in to Marlin when it was Marlin. No problem since. Rifle did shoot 270 gr Gold Dots off to the right. Heavy cast SWC are too long to feed from magazine. Have seen postings that will allow it to feed longer boolits but I have never tried to fix. I probably have a micro-groove barrel. It is not a problem. If you find one and it feed s and unloads without a problem, buy it. You will enjoy it.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast