Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationWidenersLoad DataReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on a new 44 Mag levergun purchase

Fastest I ever unloaded a unwanted rifle was a Henry 41 Mag. in two months .Will never consider another regardless of cartridge, don’t like any of their offerings.

Boolit Master
    Randy,
    What was your issue with the Henry .41 mag? I have lusted after one, as a companion piece to my Blackhawk in .41.

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohannon View Post
    Fastest I ever unloaded a unwanted rifle was a Henry 41 Mag. in two months .Will never consider another regardless of cartridge, don’t like any of their offerings.
    I have an early one and it cycles, feeds, and fires all sorts of rounds, swc's to wfn 270+gr. amd long.
    I'm not real fond of the finish, but it's durable enough.

RP

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

Their huge,heavy, finish could be a lot better with some finer grit polishing . I find them a step below Win/Miroku rifles, slimmer lines and feel in my hands. I only bought for the .41 Mag cartridge which wasn’t as accurate as I had hoped for. I will admit I spent minimal time developing loads for it .

Banned

I have a Henry 357 carbine and it shoots extremely well and it being so short it is easy handling and the lever action is super smooth. So I can say this product is very good. I think Henry makes good stuff and their customer service and warranty guarantees are top notch. I have a Winchester Miroku 44 mag that is absolutely beautiful but not impressed with its performance.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief TC View Post
    I have a Henry 357 carbine and it shoots extremely well and it being so short it is easy handling and the lever action is super smooth. So I can say this product is very good. I think Henry makes good stuff and their customer service and warranty guarantees are top notch. I have a Winchester Miroku 44 mag that is absolutely beautiful but not impressed with its performance.
    I've never heard anything good about recent Winchester customer service either. From what I understand, if the thing functions with Winchester brand factory ammo they will not investigate further. Awhile back there was a guy (I think on this forum) whose pricey new 1886 kept having light strikes and no strikes. After a few trips to Winchester with nothing changed he paid big bucks to convert the firing pin to the older design.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

When a Henry rifle can shoot as well as my two Miroku’s post the targets and let’s go from there. Zero issues
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 8E181007-C1C6-42E0-B68B-2008338145E8.jpg   0ADA4B62-56CF-4B53-B78C-C6A88C096F26.jpg  

Banned

My comment was not to be taken as Winchester Mirokus are not good. I know they are very well made. I’m just saying the 92 I have in 44 mag is not impressive other than fit and finish. If I loaded for it I’m sure it would perform better but it should perform way better than it does for factory loads and there is no smoothness in the lever action. My Henry 357 way outperforms the Win 44 mag with factory loads and can cycle much faster. I see you are loading BP in your 73. Nice.

Boolit Mold
    With the high prices even the off brand levers are bringing, try and get yourself a Pre Safety/REAL Marlin, or Winchester, you won't regret it. I put a Holosun 403b Red Dot on my old '81 Marlin 94/44mag, my "go to" 100yd Thumper.

Quote Originally Posted by 9mmskng View Post
    With the high prices even the off brand levers are bringing, try and get yourself a Pre Safety/REAL Marlin, or Winchester, you won't regret it. I put a Holosun 403b Red Dot on my old '81 Marlin 94/44mag, my "go to" 100yd Thumper.
    The only caveat there is that none of them have any warranty or factory support and are decades old. Things wear out and break, its just a fact of life. Or you may buy a handsome looking specimen and discover the bore is way oversized or it has headspace problems. You've already spent more than a new Henry would cost and now have to dump more in to get it useable. I love old levers as much as anybody but with what they cost these days I'm pretty wary. Back in the days when you could buy nice ones all day long for $200 this was a perfectly acceptable risk but my pockets aren't deep enough to play that game anymore.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    If you can get hold of a B92 do it. A friend has one still doing rough duty in Alaska after forty years. By comparison, a late vintage Winchester 94 Trapper I serviced a few years ago was crude. One of my workers managed to kill his first caribou with it, but it was still no pleasure to handle.

Those B92's are the stuff of legend. Solid old school design with Miroku workmanship and steel. Maybe the best lever actions ever made.

Boolit Master
    I got a big boy steel 41 mag when they first came out, shoots well, sure it would be nicer if they had polished the metal with a finer grit before bathing in the blue tank, but it operates smooth and flawlessly. the furniture is very nice and fit is very good also. when compared side to side with the marlin 1894fg its about the same weight. very comparable. in going for a 44 mag if what your wanting is a new gun probably the Henry or the winchester is the way to go. if after a previously owned gun. b92 is very nice but prices sure are up there. if you can find a nice unmolested marlin from the 60's or 70's most of them are a pretty good bet. all of the Japan made winchesters I have seen have been very nice. but me, I prefer lever actions without a safety, but as I said every one of the winchesters I have seen have been very nice. another option is the Rossi or if you can find one the pre safety Rossi with the puma emblem are pretty darn nice rifles too and price is usually lower than a Henry, marlin or winchester, probably because not as many people know what they are and have no appreciation of them. all this is just my opinion of course your opinion may differ

Several nice and even NIB Browning 92's on GB right now for about the same price as a new Winchester.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Several nice and even NIB Browning 92's on GB right now for about the same price as a new Winchester.
    In case you are not aware B92’s in 44M have shallow multi groove rifling that is somewhat similar to Marlin’s microgroove rifling. I have one and it needs larger diameter pills to work well, just like microgroove barrels do. Other than that it’s a very decent rifle. I also have a B92 in 357 and they are the real deal. Proper deep rifling and a fast twist.

Boolit Buddy
    Taking apart a stainless Rossi R92 and properly searching for rough spots, stoning, and polishing every moving surface turned it from a decent but a bit rough working action into one about as slick as glass.

Much lighter than a Henry and mine was accurate. I got talked out of mine to a happy new owner.

What caliber was yours? How well did it shoot? Mine is smooth enough for my taste and does exactly what I need it to do so no complaints here.

Boolit Master
    Pulled the Trigger on the Ruger 96/44
    Even if it hates my pet 255 swc!!! Darnnit
    Maybe I can massage it... as the SBH shoots it very well indeed!!
    Sure has been an Experience, and Adventure... would have been nice to have Shot every one mentioned.... But... those days are Gone..
    decided to **** or get off the Pot, while the Deal was Sweet!!!
    Thanks and I sincerely appreciate every single Response!!!

Racepres: FYI none of the Marlin 1894's have had Micro Groove Rifling since about 2004. The OAL of the Keith boolit in a Magnum case maybe be too long to fit in the 96's action. The Lyman Devastator boolit will fit

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 01-24-2023 at 12:24 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    Pulled the Trigger on the Ruger 96/44
    Even if it hates my pet 255 swc!!! Darnnit
    Maybe I can massage it... as the SBH shoots it very well indeed!!
    Sure has been an Experience, and Adventure... would have been nice to have Shot every one mentioned.... But... those days are Gone..
    decided to **** or get off the Pot, while the Deal was Sweet!!!
    Thanks and I sincerely appreciate every single Response!!!
    If I were you, I would figger out which boolit and load it likes, then deal with feeding.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast