Snyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: Homemade neck turning tool

Boolit Master

Homemade neck turning tool

I just finished making and testing a neck turning tool.

It's made from 1/8" steel plate, scored and bent in a vice. A 1/4" hole is drilled for a mandrel to spin in. The cutter is ground into a 1/8" drill bit and held by an aluminum block and 4 screws.

I clamp it to my welding table to use it.

The cases are sized and expanded without any flare. Then they're chucked into a hand drill with a Lee universal 3 jaw chuck and stuck onto the mandrel. The mandrel is a tight fit, so the case doesn't spin on it. The entire mandrel spins. It's pretty concentric, but I'll take it out and turn the case 180 degrees for a second pass, just to keep the cutting extra even.

I turned 10x 7mm-08 necked down from 308 cases. Some of these reformed cases got thicker and lumpier than others. Where the cutter is set, a couple of these reformed case necks hardly got touched. Most got cut a lot. I set the cutting depth to leave some low spots on the majority of cases. Seems to work pretty good, but I've never turned necks, before.

Boolit Grand Master

Ingenious!
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

I like the idea of the spinning mandrel. Great job...wish I have metal working and machining skills.

Banner Sponsor

Looks great to me. You'll have to check your results on the target and see if your consistency improves.

Boolit Master
    Thanks, folks.

The amount of brass I removed so far still leaves these cases about 1 thousandth thicker (about 2 thous on the OD) versus my factory brass. So I still have some room to take more, if I learn how to improve my technique or tool down the road.

I figured out it works just as well to hold the tool in my hand while sitting down in comfort. Still learning the ropes.