MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RotoMetals2RepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
Inline Fabrication
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Blackhorn 209

Boolit Grand Master

I've tried CCI 209's with BH209 in a TC Impact 50 caliber rifle with normal loads. I had several failure to fires. That was a fault of the primer, not the powder, which very clearly states to use CCI 209M primers. Thankfully that was testing I did before ever hunting. The last deer I shot using BH209 was using a Federal 209A and it was close to 0F that day.

Boolit Buddy
    Ive never had a failure to fire with any 209 primer and Blackhorn And like NSB I hunt in very cold wet western NY. I made the statement about the primers because I found a definite advantage in the accuracy department with the hotter Federal and CCI 209s.
    Also actually surprised anyone would have breech plug removal problems with Blackhorn. But Ive seen problems with Pyrodex and real black. When using those I took much more care to lube the plug or use teflon tape. Ive had some instances where breech plug removal was tough. I can fire 25 shots without any lube at all on the breechplug and it comes out very easily. And that surprised me and I have been shooting inlines since about 1990.
    Last edited by doulos; 03-17-2023 at 09:19 AM.

Boolit Bub
    The current cost of blackhorn 209 has me seriously considering building a smokeless muzzleloader. I can’t see paying $80 for 8 oz of powder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbadoyle View Post
    The current cost of blackhorn 209 has me seriously considering building a smokeless muzzleloader. I can’t see paying $80 for 8 oz of powder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Ive never owned one. But I have considered a smokeless rifle also. I can see some real advantages especially if you shoot sabotless. The sabot is the weak link for accuracy. The sabotless shooters seem to be able to attain really good accuracy when the find the right bullet diameter for their gun and size their bullets accordingly.
    I was all set to buy a smokeless barrel for my Encore but bought a new 45-70 instead.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234