Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Blackhorn 209

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    had I not witnessed it and shot all those rounds I would have been a wee bit skeptical
    as for competition I think all the smokeless powders are their competition
    I’m not doubting you I shot 14 shots out of my NEF Sidekick.2 inch group at 100yds and no swabbing between shots.I used 777 in .45 Encore even using a .25 acp breech plug I got a horrible crud ring.You need to clean your gun but not nearly as soon as other powders

Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    If it is that good, seems like it needs a competitor!
    If I remember correctly, Hodgdon was about to come out with a very competitive powder, Triple 8.
    And then right before they brought it to market, Hodgdon bought Western Powders, who made Blackhorn 209. And they never released Triple 8 as far as I know, but did jack the price up on BH209 and lowered it to 8 oz.
    " My people skills are just fine. It's my tolerance for idiots that needs work."

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    If it is that good, seems like it needs a competitor!
    Shooters World Multi Purpose FFF Black Black Powder Substitute 1 Lb By Lovex
    Shooters World Propellants # MULTIBLACK1 | Item # 130-MULTIBLACK1
    $25.38
    Thay have another flavor also, same price, sorry don't remember the name
    Clamed it is like blakhorn209 ?? I haven't tried it yet, I will because of the lame and price ??

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wildwilly501 View Post
    I’m not doubting you I shot 14 shots out of my NEF Sidekick.2 inch group at 100yds and no swabbing between shots.I used 777 in .45 Encore even using a .25 acp breech plug I got a horrible crud ring.You need to clean your gun but not nearly as soon as other powders
    I use blackhorn209 - 50 rounds, without any problem, shoots first and last rounds the same. All with mag primers.

Most accurate load in my Thompson Omega 50 cal. I shoot 90 grains with a 250 grain FTX .452 bullet using a harvested black crush sabot. Velocity is in the 1,800-1,900 fps range. I get between 1.0-1.5" inch 5 shoots groups. I clean every 10 rounds or so with no loss in accuracy. Trying to find a cast bullet to shoot well but no luck so far.

Boolit Master

Use it in my CVA Paramount. Our hunting club has mandated archery/shotgun slug/muzzle loader only.

This combo with 265 grain Fury bullets is more accurate than some of my centerfires.

Left it loaded with BH209 for 3 months. No corrosion as evidenced with borescope. Shoots clean.

Ten ounces will give you 62 shots at 70 grains each, if my calculator skills are valid.

Never misfired with the large rifle primer system.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Master
    T-7, Trippel -7, in my LGS, is North of $40.00. so that is the nature of the beast! you want to shoot you have yo bite the bullet. pun intended!

I’ve read the posts above, some like it, some don’t. I haven’t seen a side by side comparison to black powder. Is it more energetic than black? If that’s the case, being a muzzle loader you can just add more powder. Nothing gives more consistent shot to shot velocity than black powder. With cartridges, if you’re not getting 10f/s or less shot to shot velocities it’s more than likely a case of inconsistent loading practices. Clean up after shooting? Nothing is easier to clean than a modern muzzle loader, there’re no moving parts. A lot of folks are convinced cleaning after black is a chore. Everything comes clean with water. Hot water works best, if no hot water on hand, cold works too and few could tell the difference. No need for anything else but a dry barrel and a coat of oil afterwards. The only advantage I see to using a substitute powder is they can be sold over the counter at retail stores. Given the price of Black Horn, one could order a single pound of black and pay full hazmat and still be dollars ahead. Buy two pounds, split the cost with multiple friends. Don’t want to go that way? My local Bass Pro carries it, it’s just not on the shelf. You need to ask for it as it’s stored in a vault.

Boolit Grand Master

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...keless-powder/

Blackhorn 209 is Smokeless Powder

When it was introduced in 2007-2008, Blackhorn 209 was hailed as the ultimate black powder substitute. Just what everyone had been waiting for: Easy loading, shot after shot, with no swabbing and rapid cleanup, with very little fouling of the barrel. It was almost too good to be true.

Everyone who shot this powder raved about its accuracy. There is no denying that if you shoot loose powder and want the option of firing multiple times without swabbing, Blackhorn 209 is the ultimate.

However, one thing has puzzled a lot of folks. The folks at Western recommend a nitro- solvent for cleaning, rather than soap and water. If this was a conventional black powder sub, why was a nitro-solvent recommended for cleaning? The answer was there all along, but ignored by everyone: Blackhorn 209 is a nitrocellulose smokeless powder! As such, it is prohibited in ASSRA sanctioned matches.

Western Powders has succeeded in producing a smokeless powder in a configuration and formulation that allows for volumetric measurement of loads without running the risk of high pressure. For that, they deserve credit and accolades from muzzleloader shooters.

I can only assume that Western s reasons for not labeling Blackhorn 209 as a smokeless powder is the fact that most muzzleloader rifles, with the notable exception of the Savage 10ML, are not strong enough for regular smokeless powder. And, if folks know that Blackhorn was smokeless, many muzzleloader shooters would not buy it. As such, I understand Western s desire not to label Blackhorn 209 is a nitrocellulose smokeless powder.

Western also claims that Blackhorn 209 has absolutely none of the corrosive effects of black powder and most black powder subs. However, an independent spectrographic and gas chromatograph analysis of Blackhorn 209 by C. Rodney James in 2009 revealed that it is a nitrocellulose base powder with potassium nitrate and sulfur added. The latter two compounds can combine during ignition to form potassium sulfate and possibly potassium trioxide which readily combine with water in air to form sulfuric acid.

Therefore, unless they have changed their formulation in the past twelve months and removed the sulfur, Blackhorn 209 has some of the same corrosive components of conventional black powder.

With all of the above having been said: Blackhorn 209 is an excellent propellant. It allows the hunter to develop precise loads for unsurpassed accuracy and concurrent knockdown power. Just be sure to clean your rifle after every use, as you would with any corrosive powder.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Just something about BH209 I’ve found out over several years in several guns: It WILL start to clog up you breech plug in most guns (all of mine) after about 10-12 shots and your groups will start to open up. The small hole in the plug will get smaller with each shot. You can verify this simply by pulling the plug and looking through it. A small bit of residue will be left inside every time you fire the gun. At around ten or twelve shots your groups will begin to open up a bit….a noticeable amount. I take a spare breech plug to the range with me and switch plugs when that happens. For hunting this effect is meaningless. You’d be having the day of your life to have it happen in the field. FWIW, it doesn’t matter what primer you’re using, it just happens. Check it out yourself. I’ve shot a lot of this powder since the day it came out. It’s still the cleanest stuff available.

Boolit Mold
    its not the powder clogging up your breech plug, its the primers. You can fire half a dozen primers by themselves and clean out the same mess.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BS-BP View Post
    its not the powder clogging up your breech plug, its the primers. You can fire half a dozen primers by themselves and clean out the same mess.
    There you go - you are guilty of using common sense...

Boolit Grand Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	peregrine .jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	309564
    This is what 130 gr of blackhorn and a 225 gr ELR bullet does out of my rifle at 100 yards

the staple is the top of target
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	peregrine .jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	309564
    This is what 130 gr of blackhorn and a 225 gr ELR bullet does out of my rifle at 100 yards

the staple is the top of target
    How many shots? What rifle?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerEd View Post
    Most accurate load in my Thompson Omega 50 cal. I shoot 90 grains with a 250 grain FTX .452 bullet using a harvested black crush sabot. Velocity is in the 1,800-1,900 fps range. I get between 1.0-1.5" inch 5 shoots groups. I clean every 10 rounds or so with no loss in accuracy. Trying to find a cast bullet to shoot well but no luck so far.
    I shoot three different cast bullets in my .50, all Lee, improved minie, modern minie, lee real bullet, all shot real good and accurate, 5 shot one ragger hole at 100 yds, just need to find the right powder load, I use only magnum primers, bullets in pure lead, at 1200 FPS or a tad less, with the powders lots I have on hand, goes from 38. grs. to 42. grs....

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    How many shots? What rifle?
    that was 3 shot group I was doing a ladder test 100-140 gr
    It was shot out of my new Knight Peregrine 40 cal with a 225 gr ELR bullet
    my next will be 130-160 gr by weight
    I have a pic of the rifle in another post here
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    Another use and like it. It isn't water soluble, so don't try using that to clean it.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Boolit Master
    I've never tried B/H 209. Never had ambition too. Gorex-Swiss yes indeed I've sampled_good products for any side lock. Became a member here in 12. Read how to make Black right here in this column. Experimented some. Have not bought any manufactured B-powder since.

Boolit Master
    that was 3 shot group I was doing a ladder test 100-140 gr
    It was shot out of my new Knight Peregrine 40 cal with a 225 gr ELR bullet
    my next will be 130-160 gr by weight
    I have a pic of the rifle in another post here
    Very nice group.

$39/8 oz at Walmart this morning. Half the price of what was posted previously

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast