Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxLee Precision
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PSA: NOE Powder-Thru Expanders

PSA: NOE Powder-Thru Expanders

Just found out NOE has added an entire line of their excellent expanding plugs in a powder-through style to fit Lee’s die. Got a kit on order for my .44-40 loading, will report back here when I get to use it- but I expect the same superlative quality I’m used to from NOE. Oh, and when you click on the caliber listing you need, there’s then a drop down menu of lots of exact sizes to choose from, instead of the old separate listings for each exact size they use on the old solid plugs.
    Jordan Goodwin, Blacksmith
    www.axe-n-anvil.com

Noe is getting more valuable by the day. Good on them!

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    Yep that is a great value for the price. A great example of economy of scale in action.
    Both ends WHAT a player

Quote Originally Posted by JuliettDeltaGolf View Post
    Just found out NOE has added an entire line of their excellent expanding plugs in a powder-through style to fit Lee’s die. Got a kit on order for my .44-40 loading, will report back here when I get to use it- but I expect the same superlative quality I’m used to from NOE. Oh, and when you click on the caliber listing you need, there’s then a drop down menu of lots of exact sizes to choose from, instead of the old separate listings for each exact size they use on the old solid plugs.
    Will that powder through die work with a Lyman 55 measure?

Boolit Buddy

Great news! Thanks for the update. ��

Quote Originally Posted by oldhenry View Post
    I have no idea, but would love to know as well.
    www.axe-n-anvil.com

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by oldhenry View Post
    You need an adaptor.
    Gun Guides makes them.
    Also, there are others that offer them (search fleabay)

https://gun-guides.com/products/Perf...Dies-c23094183

Also, you may need a Lee Extension adaptor, depending on what Press you are using.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Oh man, I’ve been waiting a long time for this.

Boolit Mold
    Does the powder through die have to have a powder measure on top to work?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by tomj44 View Post
    Does the powder through die have to have a powder measure on top to work?
    No. At this time, the expanders and spacers are set up to use the Lee Auto_Drum or Lee-Auto-Disk measures. or you can use a funnel and hand dip the charge into the die.
    Respectfully,
    Tom Myers
    Precision Shooting Software

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Myers View Post
    No. At this time, the expanders and spacers are set up to use the Lee Auto_Drum or Lee-Auto-Disk measures. or you can use a funnel and hand dip the charge into the die.
    After my previous post, I remembered that there are some after-market applications that allow the use of Lyman, RCBS and (I think) Dillon powder measures that are manually operated to throw a charge. These units make use of a a threaded tube and a solid tube on the bottom with two O-rings that fit into the funnel-top that is supplied with the Lee Short and Long charging dies.

I am not a fan of O-rings to secure a powder measure so I went to work with Openscad and designed and printed a Lyman Drop Tube that replaces the funnel that screws into the top of the Lee charging dies . All I had was the relativly soft PLA 3D filament but I printed the adapter solid, without any in-fill and mounted the Lyman Powder charger onto the top of the Lee Powder Thru Expander Die containing the 30-30 0.311 x0.307 Expander, 1 Spacer and the overtravel ring.

I only had about 10 30-30 resized cases to try. After setting the die to the recommended three full turns up from contact with the shell plate and then adjusting down 1/4 turn, I then ran all 10 cases up into the die. I was able to slide All 10 cast. powder coated and sized to 0.309 N.O.E bullets into the case necks to just past the gas check. Perfect! I am well pleased with this setup and this should work on any of my presses, including the progressives.

Even though the adapter is only plastic, it seems solid and should last for my limited use of the Lyman Powder Measure.

I am including images of the N.O.E 30-30 Expander Setup, my Lyman Adapter and a cut-away of the setup of the 30-30 expander die and adapter. As the cut-away image shows, the powder has a straght shot from the powder measur all the way into the case body without any ledges or spaces to collect stray powder grains.

If any one wants a copy of the 3D stl file to use on their 3D printer or to send out to be printed click on this attachment to download a zip file with the Lyman PM Adapter.stl file.

Lyman PM Adapter STL.zip

Hope this helps.

Click on the images to expand
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PicA7-8-rotated.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	12.3 KB 
ID:	309386 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lyman_Powder_Thru_Expander_Adapter.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	309382 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	30_30_Win_Die_Lyman_Powder_Measure.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	309384
    Last edited by Tom Myers; 01-17-2023 at 08:00 PM.
    Respectfully,
    Tom Myers

Tom, what I've done on this forum is to supply .stl's in attachments. CastBoolits allows .zip files for attachments. So I just make a new folder, insert the .stl files I want to share, then at the top menu of the open folder I pick "share", then zip.

Then in this forum just click "Go advanced".... page down to manage attachments....add the Zip file .... then just attach it into your post.

Example below:

bf_v2_adj_turning_plate.zip

When you open the zip, it lists the .stls you want to share.

So you are another OpenScad master! I'm not that smart. I have to design my .stls with conventional cad...

I'm liking your software.....
    Last edited by GWS; 01-17-2023 at 07:38 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GWS View Post
    Tom, what I've done on this forum is to supply .stl's in attachments. CastBoolits allows .zip files for attachments. So I just make a new folder, insert the .stl files I want to share, then at the top menu of the open folder I pick "share", then zip.

Then in this forum just click "Go advanced".... page down to manage attachments....add the Zip file .... then just attach it into your post.

Example below:

bf_v2_adj_turning_plate.zip

When you open the zip, it lists the .stls you want to share
    Great. Thanks GWS. I'll make that work.

Also, Thanks for the kudos. I'm Pleased to learn that my software is working for you

Does this do the trick?

Lyman PM Adapter STL.zip

Yep! It works. By golly that is slick!
    Last edited by Tom Myers; 01-17-2023 at 08:04 PM.
    Respectfully,
    Tom Myers

Boolit Master

"PSA: NOE Powder-Thru Expanders" an old guy I knows wonders what PSA could possibly mean in this post. A google search generated MANY times MANY possibilities. https://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/PSA Neither did this forum"s list of abbreviations/acronyms help:https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...-on-This-Forum
    The closest to shooting was Palmetto State Armory, but that doesn't seem to fit the gist of the post.

edit: note to self, don't use acronyms if they only serve to detract from the subject. On the other hand I am particularly fond of the 7 P's.
    Last edited by oley55; 01-17-2023 at 08:12 PM.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by oley55 View Post
    "PSA: NOE Powder-Thru Expanders" an old guy I knows wonders what PSA could possibly mean in this post. A google search generated MANY times MANY possibilities. https://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/PSA
    The closest to shooting was Palmetto State Armory, but that doesn't seem to fit the gist of the post. It seems my secret decoder ring is after all only just a "Cracker Box" toy.

edit: note to self, don't use acronyms if they only serve to detract from the subject.
    I'm not sure what "PSA acronym you are referring to. I looked back through all the posts and didn't spot it. The closest thing that comes to my mind is, back about 20 years ago, The VA doctor said that my PSA level (Prostate Specific Antigen) was very high and that I had prostate cancer. After a bad time in my life, the VA docs got me through that OK but "PSA is one acronym that has a very special meaning for me.
    Respectfully,
    Tom Myers

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by oley55 View Post
    "PSA: NOE Powder-Thru Expanders" an old guy I knows wonders what PSA could possibly mean in this post. A google search generated MANY times MANY possibilities. https://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/PSA Neither did this forum"s list of abbreviations/acronyms help:https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...-on-This-Forum
    The closest to shooting was Palmetto State Armory, but that doesn't seem to fit the gist of the post.

edit: note to self, don't use acronyms if they only serve to detract from the subject. On the other hand I am particularly fond of the 7 P's.

I think I might have made the connection. Are you referring to my statement about using PLA filament to print the Lyman Powder Measure Adapter?

If so, PLA is the acronym for Polylactic acid or polylactide. That is the most common and easy to use 3D printing filament.
    Respectfully,
    Tom Myers

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Myers View Post
    Great. Thanks GWS. I'll make that work.

Also, Thanks for the kudos. I'm Pleased to learn that my software is working for you

Does this do the trick?

Lyman PM Adapter STL.zip

Yep! It works. By golly that is slick!
    Thanks....I downloaded your adapter for when I get a NOE/Lee powder thru expander setup. Nice thing about NOE is they make for so many calibers. I have what I need for my unimaginative collection of .40 .9mm .357 and .45ACP, but I'm not dead yet. I use a Uniflow with these "M" powder thru expanders, so far...but that's all RCBS makes....except for .223 and .308 in their rifle feed/expander die kits (not powderthru)

I think the O.P. 's PSA meant "Public Service Announcement"

Wow guys. �� Next time I won’t abbreviate it: Public Service Announcement. ��
    www.axe-n-anvil.com

Boolit Master
    I ordered plugs for four calibers yesterday but screwed up by not catching the size selector feature. I ordered for my .41mag, .357mag, .38sp, and 9mm. The .41 and 9mm sizes as listed are fine, but the .38/.357 are going to be too small at .353 I’m afraid. I tried to catch it and change the order but they were so efficient it had been shipped almost immediately. But at this price point I’ll just reorder which brings me to my question. I didn’t add in the spacer and am curious whether I need them or not? IE what’s their actual function? If I need them I’d just add them on to this order.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast