Load DataInline FabricationRepackboxSnyders Jerky
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: How hard to fit Safety to 1911

Boolit Master

How hard to fit Safety to 1911

I have a Nighthawk sear/hammer assembly but will need to fit the safety to use. How hard is it to fit.

install + test for proper safety operation - 90+% of the time it will require no fitting - if it does not function properly + you are not confident in doing non correctable alterations have a professional do it for you -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

If it doesn't fit right in and work--- this is not a entry level, kitchen table gunsmithing project.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

To do it right you need to know what you are doing and how to check if the safety is blocking the movement of the sear.
    If the safety isn’t blocking the movement then you can hear a click when the trigger is pulled with the safety on and then the safety is moved to the fire position and pressure is applied to the hammer.
    The click is the sear moving back into position.
    Improperly installed safety can cause the gun to fire when the safety is put in the fire position.
    YouTube should have a video showing how to do this!
    Last edited by deltaenterprizes; 12-19-2022 at 02:00 PM.

Boolit Master

Ed is right. I didn’t care for the ambi-safety on my Targetmaster so I purchased a RH safety and installed it. First off it wasn’t a drop in fit. Second you’ll need to possibly file but definitely stone one not flat surface to get proper engagement. Problem is if you take off too much you firearm is unsafe. So you need (or at least I needed) to stone, fit, test, disassemble, stone more, over and over until it works properly. It will take some time. My safety works as it should but I don’t think I’d do it again.

Vendor Sponsor

Assemble it with the grip safety left out so you can see what's going on inside, and see how the safety blocks the lower leg of the sear from moving. If the safety won't snick on all the way, look there at the back of the sear to see if the lug is hitting the sear and can't travel any farther.

I also like to take a tiny round burr in a dremel and put a detent where the plunger contacts it, then put a little teardrop on the bottom of that, if makes taking the safety off pretty smooth.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Mold
    I ruined 2 thumb safeties when I was building my .45 ACP from parts purchased from Wilson Combat and Caspian. Had my gunsmith install the safety as it was making me nuts trying to figure out the precise angle to file the safety stud.

Boolit Grand Master
    I’ve only installed about a half dozen 1911 safeties (ambi, extended, etc). I don’t know how unusual this is, but all of them went in without problems. The basic John Browning design for a military handgun just about required that the fit be standardized sufficiently to minimize effort to fit any of the parts and have them function properly.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    I’ve only installed about a half dozen 1911 safeties (ambi, extended, etc). I don’t know how unusual this is, but all of them went in without problems. The basic John Browning design for a military handgun just about required that the fit be standardized sufficiently to minimize effort to fit any of the parts and have them function properly.

Froggie
    problem being that most on the market do not strictly adhere to original specs, also all of the many frame makers vary ! - most all surplus GI parts have disappeared from the market place decades ago m-
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Buddy

Think that I would be more nervous if the new safety just went in! Could be short from the get go. Oversize provides custom fit. I reference Kuhnhausen book on 45's Then decide if I am capable. GW

Warren, I installed a "Drop in" safety in a 1911 a few years ago. It's worth your time to let a gunsmith do it.
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson