Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ballard #4 stock conversion.

Quote Originally Posted by JKR View Post
    I did same as you with a Hi Wall. It’s a fairly light rifle with a #3 barrel. I won a Treebone gift certificate at a match. Didn’t take me long to decide how to use it!

JKR
    I have several semi inletted pistol grip, or straight grip stock/forearm sets in my spare stock box, didn't want to use any as I'd need to do both stock and forearm. Plus I hate stock work, and fully fitting buttstocks and forearms is a pain I try to avoid.
    I just purchased another really high grade pistol grip stock a friend built, and never used. It came with a typical Farrow Swiss buttplate and two forearms. I may or may not use the buttplate as it's been mis-drilled by some machinist who didn't follow instructions. I may braze the holes closed and re-drill it properly.

Vall, I was referring to the wood on the Russ Gent gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    Vall, I was referring to the wood on the Russ Gent gun.
    I wondered about that. Yes, the Ballard Russ restocked has wonderful wood, as does every stock I've ever seen his work on. I have another Ballard I bought from Russ that he completely restored and restocked, and the wood and workmanship is equally wonderful. This one is a .22LR.

Wow ^^^^!!!

Boolit Grand Master
    That’s a doll baby, Vall. A man would have to work at it to shoot a poor score with that sweetheart. ��
    "It aint easy being green!"

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    That’s a doll baby, Vall. A man would have to work at it to shoot a poor score with that sweetheart. ��
    It is a wonderful, accurate rifle Charlie! Sadly it's built on a heavy Ballard CF action, which seems a waste to be chambered for .22LR in! Russ' workmanship on Ballard rifles is about as good as anyone's I've ever seen.

Boolit Grand Master
    Don't complain about it being built as a 22. You know that a lot of old Ballards would have been written off as obsolete scrap iron if the rimfire crowd hadn't fallen in love with them and had target guns built from them. If you don't like that wasted old action, I'll swap you a Pacific and a future draft choice for it!
    Froggie

Don't complain about it being built as a 22. You know that a lot of old Ballards would have been written off as obsolete scrap iron if the rimfire crowd hadn't fallen in love with them and had target guns built from them. If you don't like that wasted old action, I'll swap you a Pacific and a future draft choice for it!
    Froggie
    I actually have three old heavy frame Ballard rifles that are all custom builds done by well known makers from around 1900 period and all are done up as .22 rimfires. A Zettler Bros. done on a #6 Schuetzen in .22 Short, and a Pope and a AW Peterson done in .22LR.
    I long ago told myself I didn't want to buy another .22RF Ballard as I had all I needed, but then something would come along that was too cool, and priced right, so had to break my own rule.

Boolit Grand Master
    Let’s face it, Vall. You have no will power when it comes to a new found Ballard. You’re like my little puppy every time she saw a squirrel! Oh well, that’s just one less I’ll have to drool over while you keep it stashed at your place. Thanks for showing them though.
    Regards,
    Froggie

Let’s face it, Vall. You have no will power when it comes to a new found Ballard. You’re like my little puppy every time she saw a squirrel! Oh well, that’s just one less I’ll have to drool over while you keep it stashed at your place. Thanks for showing them though.
    Regards,
    Froggie
    You certainly called that right Charlie! I can resist some Ballard rifles that are too rough, too plain, or too expensive. But if they're pretty cool rifles, and I happen to have the funds, I can't resist any of them!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12