Lee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: Colt 607 Clone

Boolit Buddy

Colt 607 Clone

Just starting a new winter project, a Colt 607 clone. Have parts on order or detailing drawings for those not available or adaptable.

Progress so far is on barrel assembly. Have front sight base modified to cut off bayonet lug. Barrel is a .223 Wylde 1-8, 10.5". Unfortunately it was a .750 FSB diameter so turned down visible portion between FSB legs to a pencil profile. Have a triangle front end cap and am waiting on triangle rear end cap. Cut down a 4.5" XM177E2 style muzzle brake at front and rear to yield a 3.5" compensator. Needed to thread muzzle an additional .5" (back to FSB) and to tap interior of brake an additional .5" to get everything to fit. Will use a split/spring washer between FSB and brake.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Barrel Assy resized.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	321056

Planning on using a A1 style upper.

Buttstock will use an entry style buffer tube and I'll manufacture the locking guide rod and buffer end plate along with the locking mechanism and buttplate and lock lever. Debating on using an original A1 stock that has obvious wear or a repro, same with handguard. Will probably use a standard A1 pistol grip although a cut down one would be easy to make also as a second option.

By A1 style upper, do you mean the fixed carry handle style?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    A1 style upper is an M16A1 style with fixed carry handle and teardrop bolt assist and two position flip rear sight.

The A2 style also had a fixed carry handle but had a round bolt assist and a fully adjustable rear sight. They didn't come out until after Vietnam, maybe sometime in the 1980's.

Thanks.
    I have an A2 laying around here- but that’s not what you are looking for.
    Good luck on your build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Progress thus far:

Name:	Parts, resized.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	321158

Fitting barrel assembly to upper receiver (FSB needs to be drilled and pinned but need rear handguard cap to arrive and be inserted).

Decided to use a used A2 stock (will be cut down once buffer tube arrives) and repro handguards (to be cut down once rear handguard cap is fitted.

Metal for the buttstock rod and buttplate should arrive today. Buffer tube extension (bolt carrier stop lock ring) arrived today as did A1 style rear sling swivel and base.

Boolit Master
    Um, I have to ask- I know you know that is not a pistol, and I know you know that is not a rifle, and depending on how long that bloop tube is out front and if it's going to be welded. I know you know you need to send off right at $200 with a S/N and description and wait a little bit before pushing those two 1/4" pins in place. Also, the hole on bottom of FSB can be drilled and tapped for set screw, makes mock ups and alignment much easier. I have even shot my crazy builds with just set screw, neutral rear and tweak front until happy center then drill and pin. Wondering what this triangle rear cap looks like?

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for your concerns - I have an 07 SOT so once completed will be registered on appropriate Form.

The rear cap looks much like the front cap only larger. It has a metal lip to fit into the handguard retainer ring. The handguards themselves are straight cut across without any lip.

https://retrorifles.com/colt-607-rear-handguard-cap/

Boolit Grand Master

Few VFOG SOG vets over on an SF forum that would love to have that when it's done, nice work.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Few VFOG SOG vets over on an SF forum that would love to have that when it's done, nice work.
    Thanks for the compliment!

Depending on how this build goes I may be tempted to do another for sale. We'll see.

I do like the VN era carbines. Have made clones of a Colt 605, GAU 5/A, and XM177E2. All have pinned and welded muzzle devices. Did a Colt 635 SBR and a 10mm version similar to a 635 as a SBR.
    Last edited by 36g; 12-19-2023 at 09:53 PM.

Boolit Master
    07 SOT, GOTCHA! One never really knows what is behind the keyboard. I have one of those guys in my circle, a blessing and a curse!

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 36g View Post
    Thanks for the compliment!

Depending on how this build goes I may be tempted to do another for sale. We'll see.

I do like the VN era carbines. Have made clones of a Colt 605, GAU 5/A, and XM177E2. All have pinned and welded muzzle devices. Did a Colt 635 SBR and a 10mm version similar to a 635 as a SBR.
    I would love to have a 635 pistol or SBR. You ever make them for sale?
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    I would love to have a 635 pistol or SBR. You ever make them for sale?
    I could do either as a semi auto. Options would be to start from a Colt RO639 parts set (if Colt parts were wanted) or from scratch using mix and match parts. PM if interested.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 36g View Post
    I could do either as a semi auto. Options would be to start from a Colt RO639 parts set (if Colt parts were wanted) or from scratch using mix and match parts. PM if interested.
    My bad, yes I mean semi-auto. My funding is pretty tight right now but I may try to do this next year. I'll send you a PM.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    Progress - rear handguard cap received and installed and repro handguard cut down and fitted. It locks in tight. Next step will be to drill and ream taper pin holes then affix front sling swivel.

Name:	Barrel with handguard, resized.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	321341

Boolit Buddy
    I have been collecting parts for some time now . It all started with the MP-mold 225-75. I decided to build 607(loosely) clone that will be a dedicated 75 grain cast boolit shooter. I have an 12.5” barrel in 223 Wylde with 1:8 twists. I just received the triangle handguard I had the well a Delta spring and the triangle metal caps from previous purchase . The only thing I don’t have yet is a lower receiver and the muzzle brake . I do have sb4(?) black brace for mine . If health will pick up I might make down to the shop to start the production

Boolit Buddy
    Completed upper - all parts assembled and metal finished in Duracoat Colt gray.

Name:	Complete Upper - Right resized.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	321542

Name:	Complete Upper - left resized.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	321543

Have parts, metal, and tools to work on buttstock and attachment points, Version 1. Version 2 parts on order.

Boolit Buddy
    Buttstock, Version 1

Donor A2 stock on pistol buffer tube. Buffer tube has been turned down to rifle buffer O.D.

Name:	Buttstock, original - resized.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	82.6 KB 
ID:	321648

Pistol buffer turned to rifle OD attached to lower receiver with end plate and cut down castle nut.

Name:	Buffer - resized.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	321649

Original stock alongside pistol buffer tube. Stock is marked to shorten.

Name:	Stock and buffer - resized.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	321650

Boolit Buddy
    Shortened buttstock.

Name:	Shortened Buttstock - resized.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	321681

Boolit Master
    Cool build man. I did a A1 build several years back - only with a 1/9" pencil barrel instead of a 1/12". It was what I could find at the time, and honestly is a little more practical if shooting 55gr than the 1/12". The biggest problem I had was finding a proper lower, so I ended up going with a standard lower for now until I can find a proper A1 lower without all of the reinforcements. Also went with the 360degree birdcage instead of the 3-prong flashhider.

Wouldn't mind getting my hands on one of those Brownell's Retro Prototype ARs with the charging lever under the carry handle.... Retro Rifles are very cool.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!