Inline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: Question about loading black powder 38 Colt with hollow base wadcutter bullets

Boolit Mold

Question about loading black powder 38 Colt with hollow base wadcutter bullets

Hello, I am new to loading black powder cartridges but not new to reloading or shooting black powder in longrifles.

I have an 1851 Colt Navy conversion that fires 38 Colt cartridges. It's in great condition and I want to fire it a few times with FFF Goex black powder.

I understand I need to use a compressed load but my questions are as follows:

I am going to use 148 grain hollow base lead wadcutter bullets and would like to know how to insure a compressed load i.e. filling hollow base

Should I trim 38 Special cases to 38 Colt length or leave as standard 38 Spec length?

Do I use case full of black powder or reduce and use Cream of Wheat filler to insure a compressed load with a less than full case of black powder?

Any wads/cards/paper needed?

I assume I can use 38 Spec/357 Mag dies?

Thanks, any help would be appreciated.
    Dennis
    Central VA
    Last edited by TDennis; 01-11-2023 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Add subscription

Boolit Buddy
    You're overthinking it, no real need for a compressed load, and you don't want to use wads with a HB bullet, they tend to get stuck in there. Just load powder to bottom of the bullet when seated or a bit more, seat the bullet suitably lubed with BP lube and go out and shoot.

Boolit Mold
    I was told it was very dangerous to have any air gaps in a black powder cartridge load. I don't know anything about cartridge loads but I know for a fact damage has occured to black powder rifles that did not have the ball seated firmly against the black powder. I have photos and eye witness accounts.
    Dennis

Vendor Sponsor

martinibelgain is 100% correct. Just fill the case to the base of the bullet and seat the bullet. It will be great.
    The case length should match the chamber length of the cylinder.
    Don't complicate with adding filler. Just BP and bullet is fine.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Mold
    Thanks to all, I got it, will get a few rounds loaded and hear that old Colt roar again
    Dennis

Boolit Master

Is your '51 navy conversion an original or repro? If original, the barrel was designed for a .375" diameter bullet. The repros often are made to take a .358" bullet. If original, you would be much better off using a .375" diameter heel bullet. I've been loading a lot of these lately for a .38 rimfire rifle using a centerfire breech block. .38 Colt is the centerfire equivalent of .38 rimfire. I cut my cases to .875" length. Where are you in VA? I'm in Fredericksburg.
    Last edited by ndnchf; 01-12-2023 at 02:19 PM.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by ndnchf View Post
    Is your '51 navy conversion an original or repro? If original, the barrel was designed for a .375" diameter bullet. The repros often are made to take a .358" bullet. If original, you would be much better off using a .375" diameter heel bullet. I've been loading a lot of these lately for a .38 rimfire rifle using a centerfire breech block. .38 Colt is the centerfire equivalent of .38 rimfire. I cut my cases to .875" length. Where are you in VA? I'm in Fredericksburg.
    The 1851 Colt Navy conversion and a 1862 Colt both are originals and in great shooting condition. The reason I did not order the original style bullets is I did not need 250 or 500 bullets, nor do I have a proper crimping/sizing die. I can load hollowbase wadcutters with my standard 38/357 dies. The skirts should expand enough to give decent accuracy. I just want to shoot a few, with black powder. I am sure the cleanup will keep me from shooting very many

I live in Midlothian about 20 miles from DT Richmond.
    Dennis

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TDennis View Post
    The 1851 Colt Navy conversion and a 1862 Colt both are originals and in great shooting condition. The reason I did not order the original style bullets is I did not need 250 or 500 bullets, nor do I have a proper crimping/sizing die. I can load hollowbase wadcutters with my standard 38/357 dies. The skirts should expand enough to give decent accuracy. I just want to shoot a few, with black powder. I am sure the cleanup will keep me from shooting very many

I live in Midlothian about 20 miles from DT Richmond.
    Dennis
    The cases should be trimmed to .38 long colt length, .38 special will be too long. You'll need a full case of 3F powder to have any chance of those hollow base bullets expanding enough to grip the rifling of that original gun. I think you will find accuracy disappointing, the expanding bullet theory never worked very well in these. Good luck, keep us posted on your progress.

Not sure about yours, but any hollow based wadcutters I have seen did not have lube grooves. You surely do need lube or you’ll have a mess on your hands.

Sam Sackett

Before I shot it, I’d “break” all of the screws just to make sure I could disassemble it afterwards for a thorough cleaning

I shoot .38 special cases in mine and seat the bullet deep, the nose of the bullet is at the end of the cylinder. I put in enough powder to compress less than 1/8" or so. I'm sure that the hollow base isn't filled, but it really doesn't matter. The hollow base expands plenty enough to engage the rifling and shoots accurately. I smear lube over the end of the cylinder, like you do with a C&B revolver. I shot this revolver loaded like this in cowboy action on and off for three years. I gave me no troubles.
    It seems I was using 18gr or so? It's been some years so I don't really remember how much powder. I need to get that gun back out and shoot it again.