RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alox 50/50 with mineral spirits

Boolit Bub

Alox 50/50 with mineral spirits

Hello,

I am waiting for a new bottle of Xlox from White Label Lubes. I am also getting low on my Johnson's Liquid Wax that I use for making BLL.

I am going to try a 50/50 mix of Xlox and mineral spirits. Has anyone ever used this mix for high velocity loads?

I have diluted Lee's Alox before but only used it on 45 ACP and 45 LC. My plan is to try 3 light coats on my 30 and 35 caliber bullets at around 1800 to 1900 fps. Maybe higher.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Boolit Master

The only way you will know is to try. From what I think I know and have read your velocities may be pushing it a bit, but maybe not. Three coats is what I would do also If I were going to try.
    Good Luck to you!
    Rick

Boolit Grand Master

The mineral spirits will only help the Xlox to dry faster and brings nothing to the lubricity.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    Can't you use a commode ring to replace Johnson's wax. I have some but haven't tried because I still have a couple cans of Johnsons. People on you tube use it.

Boolit Buddy

Wax rings used tobe bee's wax but changed many years ago. GW

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 45DUDE View Post
    Can't you use a commode ring to replace Johnson's wax. I have some but haven't tried because I still have a couple cans of Johnsons. People on you tube use it.
    Johnson's Liquid wax and Johnson's Paste wax are two completley different products.

Boolit Bub
    Thank you everyone for the replies.

My goal was to use Alox or Xlox only and to thin it with mineral spirits to make it stretch further.

I was curious if anyone else was using this same method for faster loads.

Boolit Master

1800-1900 IMHO is a bit much for tumble lubes like alox. I use them up to about 1300ish fps.

Going with multiple thin coats is also what i would do if trying to build up.. vs one huge thick coat.. unless I was just making a few and was just dipping bases.. in which case I would use straight.

I think everyone is aware that the mineral spirits is just a thinner... for faster drying you could even use a hair of mineral spirits and then naptha... naptha flashes fast...

To the other poster that mentioned toilet bowl rings.. they have long been some synthetic material.. at least in my part of the woods.

I think If I was doing this.. i might mix alox and paste wax and a hair of red grease along with some mineral spirits.. add in a little wax from a crayon or a candle.. heat and stir.. I do this with those empty picnic ketchup bottles you can buy at walmart for 84 cents.. After heating pour it in the bottle.. from there you can dribble over the bullets and lube them in a old food container by shaking or in a sandwich bag.. then dump out on waxed paper. The mixture will solidify at room temp in a few minutes. To reheap the bottle.. just microwave a bowl of water and then set this squeeze container in it.. like a double boiler.. it will soon soften and flow.
    I've had great luck with lubes like that and similar ( some with soap and castor oil added ).. on rifles in the 2500fps range with 0 leading. ( and a gas check and lyman #2 alloy.. etc.. )

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BK7saum View Post
    Johnson's Liquid wax and Johnson's Paste wax are two completley different products.
    Sorry==Mine is paste wax=mineral sprits-and Lee alox. It's a backup in case I run out of 450 White Label lube.
    Last edited by 45DUDE; 01-11-2023 at 11:22 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 45DUDE View Post
    People on U-tube don't have to know what they talk about or be correct in what they do .

The toilet rings used to be made with Beeswax ... but no longer , they are all Paraffin based now and will not take the place ... replace , Johnson's Paste or Johnson's Liquid wax
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Since you already have the X-lox and mineral spirits, pick up a can of Johnson's Paste Wax and proceed as follows:

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...=1#post5514075
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master
    if you warm the boolits in oven warm lube in microwave should be plenty thin without reducing lube

Boolit Master
    Per yall's recommendations in the past and because I normally use Lee TL type boolits, I always use 50/50 Lee Liquid Alox and Mineral Spirits. Not had any trouble at all.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Master

For handgun it's fantastic and easy.

Boolit Master
    I've been using 45-45-10 to tumble lube for a couple of years now and it works great. 45% white labs xlox, 45% Johnson's paste wax, and 10% mineral spirits. It only takes a few drops to swirl lube a batch of boolits, and it dries really well. Multiple coats can be applied if needed. straight xlox and mineral spirits might be sticky after it dries, but 45-45-10 is "almost" dry to the touch. The johnson's liquid wax might be long gone, but the paste wax is still available.

Boolit Bub
    My understanding is the Johnson's paste wax has been discontinued also. I can't find it anywhere. Also have read that Trewax brand paste wax with carnuba can be used as a substitute. Has anyone tried it? If it works I will get some before I run out of Johnson's.

Boolit Grand Master

Several internet places sell beeswax.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master

Lowes here sells the Johnson's paste wax.

I use Alox and mineral spirits mixed together. I'll be honest and tell you I've forgotten the ratio I used. I think 50-50. Works great on pistol boolits. But I only load .38spl .357mag and .44mag at less than 1200fps. No leading. I lube then size through a Lee push through sizer and then re-lube. I actually let mine dry for about two weeks or so before boxing to allow them to completely dry.
    Ky State Director IHMSA
    Hunter Ed Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fayettefatts View Post
    My understanding is the Johnson's paste wax has been discontinued also. I can't find it anywhere. Also have read that Trewax brand paste wax with carnuba can be used as a substitute. Has anyone tried it? If it works I will get some before I run out of Johnson's.
    My local Home Depot still sells Johnson's Paste Wax, it's the liquid version that was discontinued some time ago.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast