Inline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2Wideners
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Finally going to get a Keith .44 mold

Finally going to get a Keith .44 mold

Should I just get a four cavity Lyman 429421, or is there a better version available today?

I'm going to powder coat...should I consider something else?

99% of what I shoot is going to be the Skeeter .44 Spl load.

Boolit Master

Try NOE, Arsenal or Accurate they make better moulds to me than Lyman.

For the price of the Lyman, i would go to Accurate.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master

If you can find an older used Lyman mold, that would be my choice.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

I'm really happy with my ARSENAL 432-264 SWC - H&G 503

http://arsenalmolds.com/index.php?ro...product_id=138

Last edited by derek45; 01-11-2023 at 08:47 AM.

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by pworley1 View Post
    If you can find an older used Lyman mold, that would be my choice.
    That was my choice also. My Lyman 4 cavity casts excellent 429421s.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

I am a fan of Accurate and NOE molds but with that said, my 2 cavity Lyman 429421 I bought in 1974 has made a zillion boolits and proved accurate since day 1. I don't know if there is a difference between the older ones and the recent production molds. If I could only have 1 44 mold, that would be the one, IF, I found one in good shape.
    Last edited by murf205; 01-11-2023 at 12:31 PM.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Quote Originally Posted by derek45 View Post
    I'm really happy with my ARSENAL #503
    That's a nice looking mold and good looking bullets. Aluminum?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by TXTad View Post
    That's a nice looking mold and good looking bullets. Aluminum?
    I'm guessing they are lead.

Flippancy aside, the only boutique molds (as opposed to mass produced) I own are Arsenal. Both are Keith designs, both are aluminum, and both produce bullets which are a delight to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by El Bibliotecario View Post
    ... the only boutique molds (as opposed to mass produced) I own are Arsenal. Both are Keith designs, both are aluminum, and both produce bullets which are a delight to shoot.
    I went and looked at their site after your post. I like their prices and their selection. I'm mulling the 432-264 SWC vs their 429421 SWC 255 Gr. Keith, maybe 50/50 plain and GC, probably brass.

It looks like their 429421 isn't quite 100% a Keith, as the driving bands aren't equal, but I'm not sure that matters that much to me.

Keith never specified equal length driving bands. That's a myth that just won't die.

His design was revolutionary because of the full DIAMETER front band.

Bullet designs of Elmer's era had reduced diameter north of the crimp, to provide clearance for black powder fouling.
    Keith saw an opportunity for better accuracy in cleaner chambers, using a full diameter driving band above the crimp to be a wedge fit in the tapered throat, or ball seat.
    This greatly reduces unsupported bullet travel to the chamber throat in the cylinder, reducing bullet tip.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAM View Post
    Keith never specified equal length driving bands. That's a myth that just won't die.

Bullet designs of Elmer's era had reduced diameter north of the crimp, to provide clearance for black powder fouling.
    Keith saw an opportunity for better accuracy in cleaner chambers, using a full diameter driving band above the crimp to be a wedge fit in the tapered throat, or ball seat.
    This greatly reduces unsupported bullet travel to the chamber throat in the cylinder, reducing bullet tip.
    Interesting.

Right now I'm just trying to figure out if I want a 240gr or 250/255gr SWC.

Boolit Buddy
    I've cast and shot hundreds of bullets from my 30+ year old two cavity Lyman 429421. Great bullets!
    Don't remember what I paid for it though. Are the new ones not as good anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Dancing Bear View Post
    I've cast and shot hundreds of bullets from my 30+ year old two cavity Lyman 429421. Great bullets!
    Don't remember what I paid for it though. Are the new ones not as good anymore?
    I am trying to determine the same thing. It seems that some people think the new ones aren't as good.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAM View Post

Absolutely! My 429-421 boolits will out shoot those of my 429-360 every day of the week for exactly that reason. A .430 Front band versus a ~.428 front band, guess which one fits my Ruger's throats better?
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master

Keep in mind that Keith's classic load of 22 gr 2400 is good up through bullets of 255 gr. Most Lyman 429421s run 245 - 255 gr and are quite safe generating SAAMI MAP level psi's. The heavier so called "Keith bullets" produce higher psi with that classic load.

My standard Magnum load is the "Keith load" of 22 gr 2400 with the Lyman 429421 or the RCBS 44-250-KT which both run 250 - 255 with the alloys I use. Have shot thousands of them over the years.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Keep in mind that Keith's classic load of 22 gr 2400 is good up through bullets of 255 gr. Most Lyman 429421s run 245 - 255 gr and are quite safe generating SAAMI MAP level psi's. The heavier so called "Keith bullets" produce higher psi with that classic load.

My standard Magnum load is the "Keith load" of 22 gr 2400 with the Lyman 429421 or the RCBS 44-250-KT which both run 250 - 255 with the alloys I use. Have shot thousands of them over the years.
    Right now my current favorites are a couple of Arsenal molds. I'm thinking either a:

* 429421 SWC 255 Gr. KEITH - http://arsenalmolds.com/44-Keith-Bullet
    * 432-264 SWC - H&G 503 Clone - http://arsenalmolds.com/index.php?ro...product_id=138

Probably four cavity in brass, may be 1/2 and 1/2 plain and GC base.

Should I just get a four cavity Lyman 429421, or is there a better version available today?
    I'm going to powder coat...should I consider something else?
    Absolutely nothing wrong w/ that combination:
    See https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=20

Boolit Grand Master

There are at least three different versions of the Keith bullet that Lyman has produced over the years. The 429-421 is certainly a viable choice for your 44 mag. and should produce many excellent bullets for you. My own 429-421 has been going since 1972 and although I own a multitude of different molds now, I do NOT regret buying and shooting it.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TXTad View Post
    I am trying to determine the same thing. It seems that some people think the new ones aren't as good.
    Lyman moulds recently got a reputation for poor quality control, making undersized moulds on worn out machinery. I don't know if they have fixed the problem.
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast