Load DataReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about weighing brass and bullets

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
    You asked about a scale that reads out to 1/100th of a grain. I provided images of the scale I use that reads out to .01 grain, which is 1/100th of a grain. Beyond that I have no interest in debating the issue further.

Dutch
    No, the images your provided show .02 of a grain which is 1/50 of a grain (153.94, 252.92 and 161.18). I did am image search and located one that looks exactly like the one you pictured.

https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Weigh-G...3560701&sr=8-7
    Smart Weigh GEM20-20g x 0.001 grams, High Precision Digital Milligram Jewelry Scale, Reloading, Jewelry and Gems Scale, Calibration Weights and Tweezers Included
    -15% $18.69

Its 0.001 grams which is +/- 0.01543235835 grains on the display which is why it reads in 0.02 increments. The displayed verse actual weights is the real question.

I have not tested this particular scale but at $18.69 I just ordered one out of curiosity. We'll see how it does with actual calibration weights? Others of this type have not tested well.

This has been my go-to scale for about a dozen years. https://www.accurateshooter.com/gear...-mxx-123-test/ It tests out very well but it's also a 0.02 grain.

Normally to get a true 0.01 grain scale you need to spend about a grand.

I am also considering this one. https://www.creedmoorsports.com/prod...&cid=aff_53743

Introducing the TRX-925 precision digital reloading scale by Creedmoor Sports. Our development team set out to create one of the most accurate and precise scales on the market that directly meet the needs of reloaders who are looking for the pinnacle of performance. To achieve this level of precision and accuracy, the team focused on the needs of reloaders first and foremost, and worked to develop a high-performance scale that aims to be the premier reloading scale on the market.

Our specialized programming of the TRX-925 sets the Creedmoor Sports TRX-925 apart from other scales in the market. While measuring in grains may seem like the norm, the vast majority of scales on the market utilize grams as their native unit of measure and simply convert the measured weight from grams to grains by using a formula. Unfortunately, this method of behind-the-scenes conversion generates significant rounding errors that can affect the reported weight. With the ability of the TRX-925 to read down to 0.01 grains, eliminating the gram/grain conversion process, making this scale the only reloading scale that offers true +/-.01 grain accuracy and measuring natively in grains was an absolute must to achieve the level of accuracy the Creedmoor Sports TRX-925 demonstrates.

Yes it reads down to 0.01 but the claimed accuracy is +/-.01 grain but it's about 1/3 the cost of scales that hold a total accuracy of 0.01 grain.

Some pointers here how to get the most from your digital scale
    https://bulletin.accurateshooter.com...tronic-scales/
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 01-14-2023 at 06:30 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    I stopped weighing brass. I do use brass purchased in one package.

My method is to track muzzle velocities. If a round is a bit high or low comparted to the rest then I mark it. If it falls out of the average again, I put it in the 'plinker' bin. As long as I can get 0.5MOA with jacketed and 1MOA with cast I am happy.

If I were a serious competitor in benchrest or long range precision I'd sort the brass by volume (size, trim and water weight).

Bullets for long range I weight sort to 0.1gn. For the Garand I only sort to 0.5gn (open sights just aren't that accurate for me anymore).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12