RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad Data
Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: weird Hornady primer pockets.

Boolit Master
    well Im somewhat pleased to read Im not actually going mad..there is an issue...
    on brighter note I took out seating stem from my funny old ???rcbs??? bench primer seating tool,and regound the business end on bench grinder so its now much flatter than Id manged with oil stones...did run of 40 .44magnum loads yesterday and the primers definately looked better than they had been.will have tootoo with the .45/70 brass at some point and see if can tidy up pockets somewhat.
    thanks for the replies..my sanity is restored.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    I would bet money that Hornady's flash holes are punched, rather than drilled. Almost all brass has punched flash holes. If they're drilled, you pay extra for that feature. Unfortunately, Hornady's brass is generally pretty poor stuff.
    Agreed. I'm not happy that most of their rifle brass is shortened to near unusable length for ftx bullets.

Boolit Master
    ran the last 4 cases through dies yesterday to pop out spent primers,then used lyman pocket tools to ream them somewhat...yes very tight and quite a bit of material removed off the sides of cases...HOPEFULLY that will be end of issues with them...
    rather like the concept of shorter cases for smokeless and origonal long cases for BP...I can tell at a glance whats what.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12