MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingRepackbox
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canvas shot bags

Canvas shot bags

While digging around at my folks place last week, I found a bunch of old canvas bags that once held 25lbs of chilled lead #8 shot. Lawrence is the brand name, they are quite cool. I have a couple I filled with sand and sewed up to use as rifle rests, but not sure what to do with the rest. Do people collect bags as well as other component cans/crates?

Rusty

Boolit Buddy
    I reload trap so I end up with lots of them. No particular value, but I fill them with pea gravel and leave them at our range for the members to use as shooting rests. So far I have made 8 and all but 1 have been stolen by some moron. When spring comes I'll put some out again. I mean what kind of loser would steal a free canvas bag filled with pea gravel from it's members?
    I just shake my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Polymath View Post
    what kind of loser would steal a free canvas bag filled with pea gravel from it's members?
    I just shake my head.
    After watching the news, and years of careful observation,,,,
    I've come to the conclusion that roughly 60% of our nation's population is just trash.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

Unless they are really old they seem to sell for about $5 each on eBay. I just purchased five for a $1 each. Wished the seller had more at that price.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 01-10-2023 at 02:05 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    My LGS puts out for free when they have them.

Boolit Buddy
    Mine are filled with corn cob media and stay in my range box. Light weight "sand" bags.

I also have a few empties, but not enough. My mother and wife quilt and we saving the bags to make kiddo a quilt for next year’s Christmas gift.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Buddy

I put bullet molds wrapped in vapor inhibiting paper in shot bags then store in ammo can. Others I made dust covers for different equipment like my lead pot. Saw a man who made a shop apron of shot bags. Of course some gun rest bags. Not as impressive as a pair of jogging pants made of Crown Royal bags but do their job. GW

When I make sandbags out of shot bags, I put the sand in ziplock bags, then put the ziplock bags in the shot bags.

Less leakage. And the ones I leave on the rifle range at the club don't get waterlogged as fast from the dummies too lazy to put them away when they are done.

On the stolen ones, may not be as many stolen as thrown away. We have had more than I can count damaged over the years by people who shouldn't own a gun.

They set up the bags so the very end of the barrel is supported. Past the end of the barrel. So the end of the barrel is sinking into the sandbag.

Then touch one off.

The bags that just get scorched or just ripped slightly get left. The professionally done, "hold my beer and watch this" end up in the trash. At the bottom.

I know, I'm the guy who empties the trash at the range. There have been a couple virtually ripped in half.

I'd like to see one done, never been there when one was executed. It's got to be impressive.

I think I have 50-60 of them, one of them says "New Bag Label Adopted 1-1-62". The others I believe are older. I removed these from a resort/cabin in Colorado when I was much younger. I had been hired to clear out a shed and throw everything away. Packrats had been in there for years. I washed all of the bags intending to make a quilt cover from them. But in the end they just sat in a box in my folks shed instead.

I found some of the same pattern on Ebay. Of course different folks are asking anywhere from $5 to $14, and still no indication that anyone has purchased one at those prices. I guess the better idea is to put the stack in swappin & sellin section and try to get the die sets I need. I'm sure it'd also be beneficial if I could sort out how to post pictures in a timely manner as well.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Polymath View Post
    I reload trap so I end up with lots of them. No particular value, but I fill them with pea gravel and leave them at our range for the members to use as shooting rests. So far I have made 8 and all but 1 have been stolen by some moron. When spring comes I'll put some out again. I mean what kind of loser would steal a free canvas bag filled with pea gravel from it's members?
    I just shake my head.
    YEP - I made about a dozen for each the two ranges I belong to made out of old blue jean legs when the pants had big wear holes in them (Could not find a young person who was styling to buy them - hahaha). All disappeared within a month at each range. No longer make and leave them.

I have a couple of the empty shot shell bags ands/reuse them for storage of items.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    I've come to the conclusion that roughly 60% of our nation's population is just trash.
    I think your estimate is a bit low.
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

Boolit Buddy
    I use to shoot trap and had a supply of empty bags. I took uncooked rice, filled empty plastic bread bags, and then put inside the shot bag. Excellent light weight shooting bags.

Boolit Master

For fun, I un-stitched a bunch of them and then sewed them together as a cover
    for my Atlas 6" Lathe.
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Quote Originally Posted by skeettx View Post
    For fun, I un-stitched a bunch of them and then sewed them together as a cover
    for my Atlas 6" Lathe.
    Overachiever

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Buddy
    Have a couple of them, handy for bringing the brass back from the range.

2nd the old dungaree leg sections for sand bags...

45_Colt

Skeettx got me thinking... Maybe I break out the old Singer and sew up a dust cover for the Dillon Press. Or perhaps a couple gun socks for the old .22 rifles.
    I have been working on making a carry case for my old Stevens over/under out of an ancient Craftsman tool box. I was going to line it with some scrap wool army blanket, now maybe the shot bags would give it more character...

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I have one of those old bags filled with 15 pounds with graphite covered number two! I traded to a member here that told me it was number five…lol. I can’t legally use it here for turkey hunting and it’s a little too small for my taste for coyotes. Sure would like to trade it for some lead BBB, T, or F. I’d even like some heavy shot in number seven to stuff in my 10 gauge. It’s a pretty cool bag. I’ll have to find some good use for that number two.

I used to throw mine away, I've made sandbags out of old denim pant legs.
    Regards,

Gary

Boolit Master

You can't fix stupid, moron, or lack of morels. We put up a really nice block building at our gun club to hold our equipment and put a thick wooden door on it. Some moron shot it 3 or 4 times for some reason. Shot went thru the door and busted the back wall of the shed. We repaired the back wall and put up a steel door. A few weeks later someone tried the same experiment on the steel door. He must have used armor piercing ammo because the results were about the same, holes in the door and busted back wall. james

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast