Snyders JerkyRepackboxReloading EverythingLee Precision
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Wideners Load Data
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: .338 in. Mag - second to 45-70 for more open deer-elk

Quote Originally Posted by Ithaca Gunner View Post
    I would imagine they're similar and the same effectiveness. Though the .338 is a sharp kicker, with a thick soft pad it isn't painful. Just remember to pull it in snug and hang on to the fore end or it'll jump off your bag at the bench.
    Just checked and it's actually a Kick-eeze. It looks like there's a dedicated Limb-Saver built for the M77 (https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/limb...438108035.html). Could you tell me what size Pachmayr you use?
    -Paul

Quote Originally Posted by huntinlever View Post
    Just checked and it's actually a Kick-eeze. It looks like there's a dedicated Limb-Saver built for the M77 (https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/limb...438108035.html). Could you tell me what size Pachmayr you use?
    It looks to be a grind to fit. Any lettering on it is almost too tiny to read, I had to use a flashlight just to find it was a Pachmayr Decellerator. I would tend to believe any of the three pads would work out for you. The original owner of my rifle probably had the pad professionally fitted, and possibly the stock shortened, (my arms aren't long and with the pad it fits me well).

I just read the entire ad on Cheaper Than Dirt, that pad only fits synthetic stocks, (read the Q&A below in the ad). It looked kinda odd with the recessed portion, that fits into the stock. Won't work on a wood stock.

Look on Midway U.S.A. site, they have 4 pages of pads, you might be better off with a slip on pad for bench work and getting a thinner pad for field use, (remember, you'll probably be wearing some thick clothing).

https://www.midwayusa.com/recoil-pad...rs/br?cid=9207

This is the shield I bought. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1002530831?pid=680235
    Last edited by Ithaca Gunner; 02-12-2023 at 06:26 PM.
    Liberalism is a cult divorced from reality.

It looks to be a grind to fit. Any lettering on it is almost too tiny to read, I had to use a flashlight just to find it was a Pachmayr Decellerator. I would tend to believe any of the three pads would work out for you. The original owner of my rifle probably had the pad professionally fitted, and possibly the stock shortened, (my arms aren't long and with the pad it fits me well).

I just read the entire ad on Cheaper Than Dirt, that pad only fits synthetic stocks, (read the Q&A below in the ad). It looked kinda odd with the recessed portion, that fits into the stock. Won't work on a wood stock.

Look on Midway U.S.A. site, they have 4 pages of pads, you might be better off with a slip on pad for bench work and getting a thinner pad for field use, (remember, you'll probably be wearing some thick clothing).

https://www.midwayusa.com/recoil-pad...rs/br?cid=9207

This is the shield I bought. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1002530831?pid=680235
    Fantastic, thanks Ithaca. I'm lucky I have gorilla arms (and comparatively shorter legs) so had wondered about that. The shield is on its way!
    -Paul

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Beartooth products makes the best slip on pad I've seen. It actually grips the contours of the stock. Their ammo carriers are dandy too.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Beartooth products makes the best slip on pad I've seen. It actually grips the contours of the stock. Their ammo carriers are dandy too.
    Good to know, thanks. My gunsmith has done a lot of work for me and will mount a Pachmayr for $110. Think I'm going to go with the fitted version. I also have unusually long arms so like my 45-70, he'll be able to tailor whatever we do for a good position.
    -Paul

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Sounds good, Pachmayr is good stuff. I have long arms too and sometimes mount a pad only for that reason. My super accurate Marlin Glenfield 30 wears a Leopold VX-3 1-5x20 which has like 5" of eye relief. I had to put a pad on the stock and rail mount the scope forward to where it would be comfortable to shoot!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Did you get the rifle yet? I would have the pad choice tailored to the clothing you would expect to wear on your hunt, harmony.
    Liberalism is a cult divorced from reality.

Did you get the rifle yet? I would have the pad choice tailored to the clothing you would expect to wear on your hunt, harmony.
    Not yet, but if they got it into the Fedex stream I expect it will be here Friday or so. Thanks on that tip. Old school plaid wool shirtjack!
    -Paul

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Sounds good, Pachmayr is good stuff. I have long arms too and sometimes mount a pad only for that reason. My super accurate Marlin Glenfield 30 wears a Leopold VX-3 1-5x20 which has like 5" of eye relief. I had to put a pad on the stock and rail mount the scope forward to where it would be comfortable to shoot!
    ! That is an awesome amount of relief! I got the scope and just loosely played with how much I have - plenty, in a word. Very happy here.
    -Paul

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456