MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: 45-70, low recoiil, unique

45-70, low recoiil, unique

I am testing extremely lite recoil loads in 40-70 government. I gathered from other comments that unique is a good powder to do this with. What I have not determined is whether to fill in the excess case with a filler of some sort. I have read comments to always use a filler unique, and other comments to never use a filler with unique. I am not looking for load data or recipes. Suggestions/Comments on bullet and powder are welcome.

Bullet 190gr
    Marlin 1895CB

Boolit Master
    I use Unique behind 300-405 gr boolits for fun shooting loads in .45-70s. No fillers needed.

The only time I’ve ever seen “fillers” make any difference accuracy wise is with relatively slow-burning powders in freakishly long straight-wall cases like .25-25 Stevens and .40-90-3-1/4” Straight. There a small tuft of Kapok suffices to hold the powder next to the primer, minimizes unburned granules, and seems to help grouping.

Wouldn’t work for hunting loads, but OK for boxes of shells, carefully handled, at the range.

I never “fill” the cases with any shell that I shoot boolits out of. No packed in cotton, Dacron, jute fiber or Cream-of-Wheat.

Boolit Master

I shoot 12 grains of Unique behind bullets from 330 grains to 405 grains. Wouldn't consider any filler. As mentioned maybe use a filler with a much slower powder.
    Hope this helps,
    Rick

Boolit Buddy
    I use 12gr of unique with no filler. Unique is not position sensitive.

Boolit Buddy

45-70, low recoiil, unique

Mr.Gibson recommended a 270 grain (+ or -) bullet and 8.0 grains of Bullseye (no filler). I’ve had fun shooting it through my Marlin Guide gun. Also use a 190 gr. collar button bullet over 14.0 gr. of Trail Boss.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RickinTN View Post
    I shoot 12 grains of Unique behind bullets from 330 grains to 405 grains. Wouldn't consider any filler. As mentioned maybe use a filler with a much slower powder.
    Hope this helps,
    Rick
    This mirrors my experience to the letter. Accurate, gentle, lots of fun from my rolling block at 100 yards. Personally, with a bullet with the right nose profile, I wouldn't hesitae to hunt deer with this in the terrain and with the methods I hunt with.

Boolit Buddy
    Yet another 12.0 gr Unique with 395-405 gr hollow base boolits user here.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    The lighter the boolit, normally the less recoil. Depending you don’t add more powder. I’m sure I’ve heard people are shooting lighter than 300 grains boolits.

Boolit Master

13.0 Unique (no filler) behind a Lyman 457124...402 gr. from 25-1...duplicates the Trapdoor Carbine load from my H&R reproduction and shoots to range settings of the 1879 Carbine rear sight I installed. Recoil is more of a 'shove' than a 'kick'.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Banned

According to my old Lyman cast bullet manual, you can go up to 14 grains of Unique with the lighter bullets. I have found 12 grains to be good enough, surprisingly good.

For what it's worth and it's not in a load book, I have found a grain or two more of Herco than Unique works just as well, perhaps even a bit better, but I have quite a bit of Unique and not so much Herco so Unique gets the nod.

Boolit Bub
    I settled on 12.5 grains unique in my trapdoor rifle. Lee 405 grain HB. about 1200 fps. Lapped the mold out to about .463"

Boolit Buddy
    Another vote for 12 grains of Unique. I load it under 300-350 grain boolits. 400-500+ grain I am reaching for the 2400 or 5744.

Boolit Master

no filler.. and if you want bunny fart loads that are not position sensitive.. try trail boss.

Boolit Master
    I get good groups and light recoil with Unique also. This load will easily kill deer out to 100 yards, no problem.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by garywg View Post
    I am testing extremely lite recoil loads in 40-70 government. I gathered from other comments that unique is a good powder to do this with. What I have not determined is whether to fill in the excess case with a filler of some sort. I have read comments to always use a filler unique, and other comments to never use a filler with unique. I am not looking for load data or recipes. Suggestions/Comments on bullet and powder are welcome.

Bullet 190gr
    Marlin 1895CB
    For truly lite recoil loads in the 45-70 a fast burning poder should be used and a light weight for caliber bullet. I have, for some years, found a 250 - 300 gr bullet used with Bullseye powder and no filler or wad to be the best combination for such loads. My most often used smokeless load in 45-70 is a 270 gr Rapine 460250 over 8 gr of Bullseye. Velocity runs 1050 fps out of my TDs, accuracy is excellent out to 500 yards. Minimal recoild and noise also.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

I like 10.0 grains under a 400gr cast bullet. Having shot a few thousand of them, mostly at 200 paper ram targets off hand shooting, this load is pretty soft but loads of fun; no fillers needed.

Boolit Master

If you like a fast powder try Trail Boss