RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: I知 now a believer.

Boolit Master

I知 now a believer.

So, I致e been casting for years. I only recently dove into the powder coating game. Although I took my time acquiring the necessary items to do it. That said, I recently was successful in powder coating and sizing some 9mm and 38spl boolits. And decided to see how they performed.

The only load I shot so far was the 358311 over 4.2gr of Unique. This has often proved to be an accurate load for me, although a very dirty load -usually gums up the gun with soot mixed with lube. I took a box to the range with me today while I was testing out a new rifle. I decided that I壇 put these through my SP-101. And let me tell you, not only were they just as accurate as any others I致e loaded, but the gun is a good bit cleaner. Although there is certain some carbon on it, it痴 otherwise clean from what I can tell.

This sold me. I知 not going back to lube so long as I can find appropriate powder.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

It's nice to have options.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jdgabbard View Post

This sold me. I’m not going back to lube so long as I can find appropriate powder.
    smoke stocks and sells all you will ever need
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    smoke stocks and sells all you will ever need
    ...except copper colour. Why doesn't anyone ever have copper???
    Personally, I'd rather learn from other peoples' mistakes.

See https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...=1#post4968246
    (but it's necessarily 2-step)

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by mehavey View Post
    It's copper-ish, but not close enough to look like a bullet jacket. I'm told that there is one (somewhere), but it requires that you apply it over the chrome coat first, which in turn can only be applied over polished metal. Not practical, unfortunately.
    Personally, I'd rather learn from other peoples' mistakes.

Boolit Master
    I first thought that 4.2/Unique seemed a bit light for 9mm, and might be the source of your dirty burning. THEN, I realized that the Lyman #358311 was a ~160 gr. LRN bullet. NOW, your powder charge makes perfect sense (though the dirtiness makes less, to me).
    Do you know what sort of velocities you might be getting with 4.2/Unique/160? I'm a MAJOR fan of heavy-for-caliber projectiles in 9mm and .38 Super.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    I first thought that 4.2/Unique seemed a bit light for 9mm, and might be the source of your dirty burning. THEN, I realized that the Lyman #358311 was a ~160 gr. LRN bullet. NOW, your powder charge makes perfect sense (though the dirtiness makes less, to me).
    Do you know what sort of velocities you might be getting with 4.2/Unique/160? I'm a MAJOR fan of heavy-for-caliber projectiles in 9mm and .38 Super.
    This is a 38spl load. And is a very pleasant shooting load, probably in the 800fps range. Though I have seen loads with this boolit in the 9mm, in Lyman #44. It lists 3.5-4.5gr of Unique with #2 Alloy for a top end load of 1039fps. Here is a copy of the 44th Edition Manual. Sounds like a pretty stout load. Personally, I prefer Red Dot in the 9mm, and have shot kegs of it. Though, I've always been concerned about pressures - it very much fills up the case to the point that some loads smush down the powder a bit. Though I've never had an issue with 4.0-4.3gr with a 115-120gr pill.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Grand Master
    its a great option and if it shoots cleaner what's not to like
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Man
    JD,

Glad to hear of your "conversion"...my epiphany came about 3 years ago with powder coating. See if you can find some Alliant American Select gunpowder. It is primarily a shotshell powder, but Alliant lists loads for pistols and is the only powder I use for my plinking/practice loads in pistols. It is incredibly clean burning and nothing like Unique. I have shot over 500 rounds in my 357 without cleaning (with light loads, nearly 38 Special levels) without any loss in accuracy with PC (Smokes Clear) bullets and American Select. I am using 4.3 grains of American Select with 158-grain PC bullets and shooting groups around 2"' off sandbags at 25 yards in a S&W Model 66. Velocity is just under 1000 fps. Even the cleaning is easy, I just swab the bore 2x with a Hoppes #9 soaked patch and dry patch it out, no brushing. One tip, just make sure you keep velocity over about 850 fps to avoid sticking a bullet in the barrel with the 158 grainers. I have moved to lighter cast bullets in the 125-140 grain range just for the economy and reduced recoil. Shooting these loads is almost like shooting a 22RF.

Good luck,
    Paul

Boolit Buddy
    Smokes powder

or

Buy some RAL powder from Powderbuythepound. Lots of powder will work, like Eastwood Ford Lightblue. I started PCing 2 years ago and haven't looked back since.