Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading Everything
Load Data

Thread: What does it mean?

Boolit Grand Master

What does it mean?

Well, it appears that I’m officially an old person. More and more of my everyday reloading tools are being asked about or commented upon in this and other similar forums. Does anybody besides me feel like their “current” tools are being left further and further behind as all of the new kids on the block use their newfound whiz bang toys? At least now all of my stuff has been well tested and can be counted on to do their job. Also, we can impress the youngsters with our knowledge of “Vintage” and “Classic” tools they’ve barely heard of.

The greying Green Frog
    "It aint easy being green!"

Somebody once said that the only thing in life that is constant is change. It's kind of like the telephone. Used to be one on every street corner and on the kitchen wall in every house. Then along came the portable phones, and the others are just about all gone. My relatives insisted that I have a cell phone, and gifted me a flip phone. I learned to turn it on, call on it, turn it off---that's as far as it went. It spends 99% of it's existence in my desk drawer turned off. When I moved here I insisted on having a land line installed and it has an answering machine, so if I'm not around when it rings I can listen to the message if one is left. Worked for me for most of my life. But their needs are different, and they've got flat phones that take photos, write letters, surf the internet, etc. They seem to need it--I don't.

That's kind of how the reloading situation is. I started with a Lee Loader whack-a-mole, got a Rockchucker, and the most advanced I ever became was a 4-hole Lee Turret press. I still use all of them upon occasion except the original Lee Loader, and they do everything I want. Others, such as the CAS, Combat Pistol, and AR-15 crowds shoot thousands of rounds and can't spend the enjoyable hours I can afford to spend getting loaded up for their next event. So the equipment has evolved to meet their needs, but my needs haven't changed, and the old methods and equipment remain just fine for me.

Kind of what you're talking about?

DG

i like the KISS principle [ keep it simple stupid ] - evaluate the benefits, expense, complication, efficiancy + time factors involved with new options - many times the old way is best -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Recently busted an RCBS primer pocket Swager, lo and behold There is a press mounted herters press mounted swager to finish the job, it may never break, but it ain't fun to use.

Boolit Buddy

Know what you are talking about. Retired machinist, 76 years old. Remember the first NC machines, had to write an order of the way part was to be machined, then punch a tape and run the tape through the NC machine and run a test so as not to crash the machine. With all the cnc machines and robots don't know how we ever made any thing. Still using a engine lathe and Bridgeport mill, slow but still does the job.

I’ve been and old folks since I was born. I prefer the old ways.

Boolit Grand Master
    I do not want to reload pistol ammunition on a slow press. Progress is good.

When I was shooting Trap, I loaded 15-20K rounds a year and had two automated presses. Hydraulic Spolar and AutoDrive PW. Progress is good.

I still use the Co-Ax I bought 50+ years ago. Progress was not necessary.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    Conversation at gun store not to long ago.

Q: What press do you use?
    A: Star
    Q: Is that made by Dillon?

Guess I'm officially an antique.
    "EXPERT= Ex is a has been, spurt is a drip under pressure" Unknown

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    My primary single station press is an old Schissel H-type press that I bought in 1963, if I remember correctly. It has loaded tens upon tens of thousands of rounds, swaged the rim off untold numbers of RF cases to make bullet jackets, and made thousands of GCs using a Pat Marlin GC maker. Although I have a Rockchucker, C-H CHampion, and 8 Hornady projector presses, the old Schissel just keeps getting the job done.

If I could figure out how to remove the handle, I don't know if it is screwed in or pressed in and I have done some serious thumping and twisting attempting to remove the handle, all to no avail, I would take it apart and make it look like new. Needless to say, it, like me, is showing wear and tear. However, it I can fix, me not so much. Oh well.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Master

I started out my reloading in 1962 with an old Lee 30-06 Lee Loader, the one with an aluminum metal powder scoop. Still have it and use it once in a while. I graduated to a C&H 3 station press that I got for Christmas 1964 (I think). I later inherited a C&H C press. When I started shooting competition in the early 70's (mostly pistol/revolver), I bought a Dillon 450 press and later a 550 and used them because I was burning up ammo practicing and shooting matches at a pretty good rate. Around 1989 I quit competition when it became more like work than fun because of the urge to win. I quit right in the middle of a match on stage two of a 3 stage match when it suddenly dawned on me that the fun was gone and the drive to compete had taken over. I ejected my 1911 clip and showed the range officer clear, started picking up my gear to leave. He came over and asked me why I had quit when I had a great run going. I told him the fun had gone out of competing for me and I was thru. Last competition I ever shot. My grandson has that pistol now. I sold the 450 and 550 machine because I no longer needed them. When I retired I bought a RCBS Rock Chucker II and have been using it for about 28 years now. Later I bought an old but well preserved Lyman All American press for pistol/revolver use. I enjoy reloading even though I don't shoot near as much as I did at one time. It has become a second hobby for me and it relaxes me. I like the older equipment and use it regualar but did sell my old C&H C press (mistake). I think of myself as an ol dinosaur and quite frankly I am really enjoying myself more now than when I was competing. my experience anyway, james

I restarted loading some 7 years ago with a Lee Hand press, and I still do over 80% with it. Full sized rifle brass resizing gets moved to a benchtop model with more leverage.

But except for sizing that is all it is used for. I guess it depends more on the age of the tools than the age of the user.

Still loving my new kid tools like the FA hand deprimer and the RCBS Universal primer tools.(2 of those, one large, one small, and spare parts too!
    I do have a new powder measure that I have not played with yet.

Age is as much state of mind as anything.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I’ve been watching a lot of new reloading equipment coming onto the market over the years. I always wanted a Rockchucker and bought one that was on sale. I hardly ever use it except for sizing. I still use my Lyman six place turret type press I bought in a kit in the mid eighties.

I guess for guys shooting high volume, the rapid reloaders might be interesting, but for me it’s just more stuff to potentially go wrong.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I worked for a guy for a number of years that often said , " when a or complex job comes along I put one of the laziest guys on it . Those guys will find all of the rough edges , back tracks , and short cuts just inside the rules , then smooth , remove and implement ."

I started loading on my own tools because at the end of the second season of mandatory steel/ nontoxic shot for waterfowl my take per cartridge had climbed from 1bird per 3 to 3 birds a box and the cost for higher kill rates was headed for $1.25 a shot .

My Grandfather had left a press that I took possession of , a DL 55 Pacific. After working out some details and figuring out a load .....then changing everything and getting a truly great load going my cast was a paltry $5.60/box . I faced a similar crisis when 06' and 38 Special climbed to $14/box . I've circulated a few presses and had 3 flavors of progressives . Shotshells for a time were so cheap I couldn't afford to load them and they were exactly what I was shooting .

I still have most of the Partner press kit I started with . I have a bunch of old tools , well , old in the context of having been revised , updated and/or that particular model variation is out of production. Aside from the handle I can't really see or feel a difference between the RC and RCII . The Big Max is a big change but it's gone from the line now too . Dad left a bit of stuff so I have Hornady Red Pacific power something that was also the 008 . Several sets of both Pacific Dura Chrome and Herters dies . As far as I can see about the only thing that has changed in collet style case trimming is a replaceable cutter and anodized bases from his Herters case trimmer. I bought a Trim Pro but the old Herters just works better for me . I suckered myself into a Forster trimmer as I think I might end up turning necks on some select brass one day .

I have a press on a adapter plate so I can hangout and do 1000 cases ready to load in an hour or 2 , 2-3 evenings in front of the tube , then cast for a couple of hr , and another couple to lube and size . On my first Saturday lazy day can load 5-600 50 at a time .

It's not Dillon production backed with an auto feed Master Caster .
    You don't turn 243/260 or 6.5 CM into 6,5 ×50 Japanese with a Dillon though . The Lee turret types probably wouldn't last a long time turning 06' in to x57 either .

I've often thought that a dedicated press version suited specifically for the under 2" OAL would be nice that would be new .

As a final note the Armalite Rifle #15 , 223 , and 308 have been with us for 65 years. The 6.5 CM does offer anything other than consistent dimensions over the 1891/95 6.5×50 SR Japanese.
    New isn't all that big a deal .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    I have a bunch of old stuff that I still use but I also have newer stuff. For me, it just depends on what I'm doing as to what I'm to use to do the job. In the older category, I have a Star Universal, a Bonanza Co-ax, a Star lube sizer,a couple of old Tru line Jrs,a Herters 3#, a Herters Super O, A Lyman AA, a C H III and several older single stage presses. Some of my newer stuff is three Lee Pro 1000, a Dillon SQD, a Dillon 550b and a couple of RCBS RCs. Some of the older stuff is less than great but some of the new stuffisn't any better.

Boolit Buddy
    I've been reloading for over 45 years. Started when I was 18 yrs old when we got married and realized real quick that any spare cash went for diapers and baby food. I was the 19 yr old that hung out with all the 40 something deaf shooters and reloaders. Learned at an early age about hearing protection. I started out with a Lyman tong tool with dies in 38 special and 8mm Mauser, an old Lee shotgun loader, and an Ohaus scale. I've used and / or owned every brand of equipment from Lee, Lyman, C-H, RCBS, Pacific / Hornady, Dillon, Star, Texan, Forester, Wilson, Hollywood, and even machinist made presses. Now going on 65 I shoot a lot less than in my younger years, but enjoy putting together a small amount of ammunition with slower speed equipment more and more. The 3 Dillon 550's, the Pacific 366, the RCBS Piggyback, and to my shame the Star sit with dust covers on them while I slowly crank out a few rounds with a 1969 Rockchucker, an old Lee 3 or 4 hole turret, the Lyman tong tools, and a 12 hole Hollywood that has a bunch of odd dies semi-permanently mounted.

I'm not retired yet because I love my job, but just sitting down and knocking out a few rounds of 38 special with my cast boolits using a few old hand tools is FUN and doesn't feel like WORK like when I was cranking them out by the thousands.

Boolit Grand Master
    Recently I started loading 9mm. I didn’t have a pre-assembled insert for my Dillon 550, so I sized and decapped a couple of hundred cases on my RCBS Jr with a carbide die, then changed to a case belling die. I primed them with an old Lee hand priming tool (screw in shell holders) then added powder with a pre War Pacific Pistol Measure. Next, I seated the bullets and removed the case mouth bell using a 310 tool. Just in case my 9mm chamber was going to be picky, I finished up by running each cartridge through a factory crimp die and checked them with an old Dillon cartridge check tool.
    Nowhere near as fast as I could have done them with a ready to run Dillon 550, but it was fun to solve each step as I came to it using a variety of vintage tools, and I was assured of nice hand loads. The newest tooling I used was some RCBS dies from the Eighties.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    Started in 1978 I believe, with a Couple Lee Loaders... Still gots them ones plus a Couple...as I was in the Canoe Club still, I traveled fairly Light, and would Never give up my MotorBikes!!!
    Ongoing process...without care of what is "new", in fact, my newest press is a Redding Turret.. ??? Prolly newest thing in gun room except powder and primers.. alot of my stuff is Antique, Homemade, Or Both!!!! But... I still ride a 1974 Harley!!!!!
    IDC No One to Impress but Me...and my Bitter Half!!!

Boolit Buddy
    In 72, a new found Friend started me in Reloading using the Lee "Sureside" Loaders. Was kind of slow for the 9mm and 30-30ties but I was hocked. Then in 74 after a location and profession change the local Gunsmith helped me into RCBS equipment first a Junior Press which was soon upgraded to the Rockchucker. A second Rockchucker was added and outfitted with a Piggyback for cranking out Handgun Ammo in 8 different Calibers. Then by chance I obtained an old DL 200 Deluxe to do 12 Ga and later a Lee Load All for the 16 Ga Drillings primarily to load Slugs and Buckshot we used a lot off for discouraging Grizzly an Black Bears. Casting Bullets was added a few years ago, all in all lots of Fun. When not at work in my northern hunting Territory its a 60 mile roundtrip to the Range which is a bit of a PITA.

Cheers

Boolit Buddy

First press was a used RCBS Jr for $15.00 with one set of dies, when LEE loader was $15.00 NIB - no brainer. I only loaded 30-06. Got into handguns, by way of military. When I retired from the military, I started loading handgun ammo with a 550. The 550 can be set up to load anyway I want. I had a Star that must be loaded in it's particular order, so it's gone.
    I bought a Hollywood Senior and really like how it resizes brass easily. I have kept the 3 presses, but may downsize to only one after 40 plus years of reloading.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by schutzen-jager View Post
    i like the KISS principle [ keep it simple stupid ] - evaluate the benefits, expense, complication, efficiancy + time factors involved with new options - many times the old way is best -
    KISS, sounds like you were in the military?