Snyders JerkyLoad DataReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best entry-level Modern Sporting Rifle?

Boolit Master

Best entry-level Modern Sporting Rifle?

Asking for a friend - really - friend of mine wants a general purpose AR platform and there are so many different makes, I can't recommend one over the other.
    If you were to start from scratch, which manufacturer turns out a decent-quality 'starter.' A basic AR-15 that's well-made for casual use/home defense? Bells and whistles can be added later, he needs to learn how to handle it first.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Buddy
    They all make a decent entry level rifle, but with that being said IMO stay away from polymer stick with aluminums billet or forged both are decent if you plan on shooting much.

Boolit Master
    I have had extremely good luck with PSA. I have built somewhere around ten of their kits and they all go bang.

Boolit Master
    I recommend checking out https://palmettostatearmory.com/ and https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/.

I like the idea of going with a "Generic" platform. For entry level, generic platforms do just as good (including function, reliability & accuracy) as anything from a name brand company. The two outfits above sell a lot of guns and have track records of pretty good quality packages for standard AR-15 type guns. The money you save on the gun will cover the cost of a decent optic.

My recommendation with the customizability of the AR15 platform is that he figure out what he wants and buy and build it it can be done cheaper and have exactly why he wants at that point. The cost of a rifle plus the later customization because he doesn’t like what it came with adds overall cost to it. In building it he is likely to learn just how it operates as well.
    My first doesn’t hardly have much original left on it. I really wish someone would have just told me to build the danged thing from the get go.

Boolit Grand Master

PSA or Bear Creek. I might even suggest buying a complete upper, a lower and a parts kit to put together. Best way to see how things work and there are several very good video's on YouTube to get it done with tools anyone has around.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Depends on it's use. I assume 223, but chose caliber wisely. Lots of options. Only real trick is head space and it's generally acceptable with most barrel/BCGs. Good drop-in trigger vs stock, carbine or fixed stock. I got lots of left over unused parts and there is nothing difficult about assembly the entire gun yourself. If he wants one cause he does, PSA is probably the way to go.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    If I ever bought one I'd either go really high end or go to Palmetto State.

Boolit Buddy
    Another vote for PSA

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    May want to look in pawn shops for used rifles. I got a Ruger AR-556 with an excellent bore but a fair amount of cosmetic wear for $400 out the door awhile back.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    I picked up a Mossberg 5.56 AR a few years ago and it is quite accurate with a good trigger. They lack a forward assist, but I never had to use one anyway.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Depends on it's use. I assume 223, but chose caliber wisely. Lots of options. Only real trick is head space and it's generally acceptable with most barrel/BCGs. Good drop-in trigger vs stock, carbine or fixed stock. I got lots of left over unused parts and there is nothing difficult about assembly the entire gun yourself. If he wants one cause he does, PSA is probably the way to go.
    This. General purpose could mean different things to folks. Even pistol calibers come into play.

Pawn shops are a good place to find AR15s that got bought, then sold when bills needed to be paid or some such. I’ve seen lots of good ones for $4-500 on the racks.
    I build my own anymore. PSA, Aim Surplus, CDNN, Primary Arms, are great places to get all the ingredients to make one with the features you want.
    Say what you will about the AR15 but it is an American Classic. Accurate, reliable, and easy to repair if something does go wrong.

Boolit Buddy
    In my shoes. And where ever they take me.
    Bear creek arsenal. Can get a complete 223 upper with a heavy barrel, and fluted for $3-400. Complete with BCG and charging handle. And steel folding sights. And an option to go to side charging for the same price.

Clean her up, grease and oil it, and they run good. Scoped Accuracy in the 1.5 moa, but trigger is about 6lbs.

++1 PSA

I've built several & bought 1 upper - all from PSA. With tuning & handloads all were sub-moa.
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    Asking for a friend - really - friend of mine wants a general purpose AR platform and there are so many different makes, I can't recommend one over the other.
    If you were to start from scratch, which manufacturer turns out a decent-quality 'starter.' A basic AR-15 that's well-made for casual use/home defense? Bells and whistles can be added later, he needs to learn how to handle it first.
    Out of curiosity, are AR's even legal where you are at? From what I understand, a legal AR in a ban state is pretty much a DIY affair.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    Primary arms has an androcore for 465

Just got an add from Brownells they are doing a Janu-AR-y Rifle Sale, up to 45% off parts.

I would look at the Ruger AR-5.56 and specifically the one with the Magpul furniture. Model #8515. All you need to add to this gun is a Sling and a Red Dot Sight and you are good to go.

https://www.ruger.com/products/ar556/models.html

What you will end up with looks exactly like mine, except mine as a Bushmaster Carbon 15 that weighs less than 6 lbs. But this is the set up you are looking for.

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1450526.JPG  
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    if you could get one of those rugers for 400 it would be pretty difficult to piece one together for that price. PSA does have some good deals, keep watching the daily deals and close outs they offer till you see something you like. if your going to piece one together a nickel boron plated BCG is a bit easier to keep clean

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast